• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeling a cucumber with a knife

Fat Guy

Why would you use a dishwasher to clean a peeler? I always just give it a rinse in a good stream of water and flick it a few times to dry and it's back in the drawer. Seems like loading and unloading it from the dishwasher is actually more work and if you ever need to use it between dishwashing cycles, then you have to clean it by hand anyway.

The key is to clean it as soon as you finish using it so theres no time for dried on crud to accumulate.

PS: I am a guy.

I only take my peeler out on carrots, and potatoes when hubby isn't around to do his magic with a paring knife.

I only peel waxed cukes, VERY sharp paring knife, lop of the ends, one long strip lengthwise then I rotate the cuke in my left (non dominant) hand for the next strip. Tiny bit of cleanup and a final rinse.

Fast, very little waste.

Cucumbers covered in wax? That I've never seen. On this side of the pond they either come plastic-wrapped (in supermarkets) or 'naked', in grocers, turkish/asian shops, markets etc.

Never peel my cukes, never peel my carrots - a good scrub, particularly the carrots to get the mud off, and slice away.

Peeling butternut squash, however - for that I definitely use a knife ...

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Growing up we didn't have a peeler in the house. My mother never used one, even though it drove my father crazy. He thought she wasted too much of the flesh by using the knife. Guess he should have done the cooking then. I didn't have a peeler until I started dating my husband. Now I prefer the peeler for carrots and usually still use the knife for the cukes. The only time I use the peeler for the cucumbers is if I just peeled a carrot, and it's already out.

Also, I don't know what kind I have, but it goes in the dishwasher as well.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

The key is to clean it as soon as you finish using it so theres no time for dried on crud to accumulate.

Easier-said-than-done when you have a kid (or two) in your arms while you are cooking, eating, washing up.... The dishwasher can be a blessing for those tools that get forgotten in the chaos of a busy home.

I almost always peel cucmumbers with a knife - usually I cut a segment and go around in a circle. It comes off like a charm. I do the same for zucchini.

My guess is that most of the answers above could read:  I do it this way because my mother did!

:raz:

(Well, that was my theory before santo_grace posted!)

Nah, mom was all about the vegetable peeler. Actually, now that I think of it, she was quite aggressive in her wielding of the peeler...