• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

king cake

I was going to tell you Randazzo's because they make my favorite one, but if you take a look at the site, you will find that I would be wasting your time-they're sold out through the holiday. Wow.

So, aside from Haydel's (which are, in fact, good) you might want to take a look at Gambino's . They know a thing or two about king cakes.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

For what it's worth, we sent a Haydel's cake to friend in New York. They reported that it came in a nice package. I don't have many details, but they were pleased.

We send Haydel's King Cakes as work gifts and everyone has always seemed pleased (if not, just a little, befuddled as I usually have to explain what they are to the clueless masses). Last year they were including a Mardi Gras CD, but I'm not sure that they are doing that now.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

There's http://www.paulspastry.com/ . They are in Picayune, and they're very good, and great about shipping. Cakes arrive fresh, well packaged. They're not skimpy cakes either. You have a huge filling selection if you like that, and can get multiple fillings/cake.

I like to make my own, but when I have to ship them, I just order from them.

sneakeater

why are you disillusioned? i've never had a real new orleans style king cake and i want to see what it's like, i consider this research as well as marital counseling. also wouldn't the payard ones be more pithivier style?

Edited by nicolekaplan (log)
nkaplan@delposto.com