• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona: some comparisons required

Off to BCN in April and trying to do my research.

Firstly it is clear that Hisop and Cinc Sentits get positive reviews from the slew of non-michelin starred establishments.

Abac and Raco d'en Freixa (RF) are both rising stars in this years Michelin.

I have already made a request to Sant Pau for Sunday lunch.

So with 2 possible dinners (allowing for no dinner on Sunday night), the question is which of these I go for?

Abac has a thread which gives me a positive feel.

A search for "Freixa" returns no results so what is it with RF - any views?

Sauc also seems to get good reviews.

Here's my proposal: Hisop and Abac? Is this the best way to go if I choose one michelin and one non-michelin place?

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

So Hisop accepted my reservation request, so there is only one night to determine. Which of the other 3 (or 4 incl Sauc) would you go for?

dont forget about grupo tragaluz,they have done and are doing a lot to put barcelona on gastronomy worldmap.

I had an extremely enjoyable meal at Abac and Sant Pau. Cinc Sentits was very good, but I was too full after an extraordinary lunch at Sant Pau to really enjoy it. Haven't been to the others that you mentioned. I will be back this spring myself, but with only very limited time actually within Barcelona. I am inclined to visit Can Gaig or one other newer Tapas places (Tapas24 or Inopia).

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

So Hisop accepted my reservation request, so there is only one night to determine. Which of the other 3 (or 4 incl Sauc) would you go for?

dont forget about grupo tragaluz,they have done and are doing a lot to put barcelona on gastronomy worldmap.

I'll bite. I'm familiar with the Hotel Omm and Moo, but outside of that, what actually have they done "to put Barcelona on the gastronomy world map?" I thought it was there already.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'll bite. I'm familiar with the Hotel Omm and Moo, but outside of that, what actually have they done "to put Barcelona on the gastronomy world map?" I thought it was there already.

Yup, curious myself to find out too.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Barcelona is a great city with a ton of culinary options. I love Abac. The chef does amazing things with suckling pig and goat. Raco d'en Freixa is great. The chef is young and rising and the restaurant garners some attention. I am, though, a huge fan of Charles Gaig. It is an amazing mix classic catalan with the new techniques. Wandering around eating in Barcelona is one of my favorite things to do. Cal Pep is fun and young, but I prefer Taller de Tapas. It is my favorite Tapas place in the city.

When I was there in September, I stumbled across a fabulous little gem called Semprillana (not sure of the spelling). The chef/owner was a woman and the food was fabulous!

Off to BCN in April and trying to do my research.

Firstly it is clear that Hisop and Cinc Sentits get positive reviews from the slew of non-michelin starred establishments.

Abac and Raco d'en Freixa (RF) are both rising stars in this years Michelin.

I have already made a request to Sant Pau for Sunday lunch.

So with 2 possible dinners (allowing for no dinner on Sunday night), the question is which of these I go for?

Abac has a thread which gives me a positive feel.

A search for "Freixa" returns no results so what is it with RF - any views?

Sauc also seems to get good reviews.

Here's my proposal: Hisop and Abac? Is this the best way to go if I choose one michelin and one non-michelin place?

I did look at Gaig and it looked interesting.

A friend of mine went to Jean-Luc Figueras and really enjoyed it.

Any other views on some of the other michelin starred restaurants that don't get many mentions - Caelis, Neichel, Hoffman....?

Gav

A slight change to the plans as I was blown out by Sant Pau....instead I have a table at Can Roca! Very excited about this after I read vmilor's review on gastroville.

So Hisop for dinner when we arrive on the Friday and Can Roca for lunch on the Saturday. Now I just need to decide what to do on the Sunday for Dinner which seems to be a bit of an issue.

Gav