• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brasserie brunoise

riboflavinjoe

with the sad news of various closings around town, it's good to hear that the guys behinds brunoise are opening their new place. i saw the menu, and i'm pretty excited to go check it out. good luck to zach and michel and marc-andre. i'm confident they will win the war on drugs.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I stopped by for a quick bite after work. I sat at the bar and enjoyed a 1/2 dozen oysters followed by a lovely frisee aux lardons salad and then the macaroni & cheese gratin. I had the beignets with caramel sauce for desert.

This should prove to be an excellent spot for lunch for those who work around the Tour IBM or CGI and an ideal spot for a good dinner before heading off to the Bell Centre.

Best of luck to Zack, Michel and Marc-Andre.

Is it more casual than the original Brunoise?  Same price range?

Price range varies. The "original" Brunoise has a prix fixe menu whereas the Brasserie is a la carte. Salads and starters were mostly below $10 and mains range from the high 'teens to high twenties.

It can be considerably less expensive for those who only want to order a salad or a main course.

Yes, more casual (eg paper placemats) and lower price range. Their menu is on their website (brunoise.ca).

My husband and I went for dinner last Saturday and for lunch on Thursday, had pannacotta and the beignets (which I loved) both times. Duck confit (18$) was excellent, and so was my tartine (12$). Setting is warm and welcoming, Zach was very friendly and enthusiastic. I do wish them well.

Price range varies. The "original" Brunoise has a prix fixe menu whereas the Brasserie is a la carte.

I believe the menu at Brunoise is table d'hote and not prix fixe.

I'm definitly checking out Brasserie Brunoise in the coming weeks.

My woman and I dropped in on the newly opened b.b tonight, and we were quite happy with everything. Indeed a very casual and easy place to go and hang out, have a drink, or a simple bowl of soup or whatever. I wish them the best, and I will most certainly be heading down there again soon enough.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 2 weeks later...

I went to B.B. last evening; came in at around 7-ish, 4 tables were taken, but as the evening passed, couple more tables filled up; me think the restaurant will have to "surf" the next couple of weeks/months and try to catch the local clientèle for the off-night at the Centre Bell. But Zach told me that the business is catching on at lunch time.

anyway, large space, high ceilings, nice tables, cuttlery ( new and shinny ! ), couple of TVs showing a Humphrey Bogart movie.

On the menu side, printed on the paper placemats, simple bistro fare, salads, meat, and all the classics one would expect from a place like that.

A wine list on the short side, I did not ask if they have a larger one, but I would be surprised if they did; ( maybe later if the business picks up )

about the food, I had the Goujonnettes de poisson ( fish sticks! ) with a nice not too chunky Tartare Sauce; the batter was crispy and the fish moist. for the main, I took the Wednesday Plat du Jour, parmentier (shepperd's pie/paté chinois) of pork confit; again, well executed, potatoes were good, pork was tender and tasty, and lucklly, there was no corn, it was replaced by some "greens".

but the highlight of the meal was the desert, the vanilla/passion fruit panacota with basil "juice"; that was heaven in a bowl. smooth, tasty, not too sweet, not too hard, somptuous. !