• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding Rare Cookbooks

Woods

I am trying to find a copy of Raymond Calvel's Hearth Breads: A French Master's Approach to Using North American Ingredients and having no luck. It was published in 1999 so should be still around. I have tried my ususal book finder sites with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you. Woods

ISBN is 0412126117

How odd... I wasn't able to find any copies on Alibris, Abebooks, or Bookfinder.com, and they've always come through for me in the past, even on totally obscure titles.

You can set up a pre-order on Half.com, or a Book Fetch on alibris: http://www.alibris.com/bookfetch/home.cfm?...sults*bookfetch

You might try contacting the publisher:

International Thomson Publishing Ltd

168-173 High Holborn

London WC1V 7AA

Tel: 020 7497 1422

Fax: 020 7497 1426

Although I find it odd that a UK publisher would publish a book about North American ingredients, so perhaps that ISBN info isn't right...

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Have you tried www.abe.com? They have a couple thousand book sellers from all over the world. As of Monday afternoon they showed 16 Calvel baking books, though none appear to be the one you're after.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

If you go to amazon.com, you can set up an order for it, specifying how much you'll pay, etc. If you really want the book, it might be worth your trouble to do that. You never know!

try ebay....if u find it u may have to bid for it but you might get lucky and find a buy it now price..i suggest them simply because they seem to have lots of cookbooks going..and some people there sell them in lots..in which case you might want to email them to find out if they have a copy

just a thought

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Professor Cavel's "Taste of Bread" is available, as is the "Bread and Baker" 3 video set (from www.chipsbooks.com)

I do have Le Gout du Pain but most of his other works are out of print. Thanks. By the way, if you can read any French the French edition is 25 euros unlike the rather overpriced English translation.

• 1 year later...

I collect cookbooks. At the moment, I'm trying to find Fernand Point's "MA Gastronomie" (Flammarion, 1969). This is the first edition in French. Not surprisingly, I'm having a hard time of it. I'm particularly interested in first editions, in the original language, which usually means French.

It would be great to put together a list of bookstores that deal in rare/antiquarian cookbooks. Any suggestions?

Du beurre ! Donnez-moi du beurre ! Toujours du beurre ! (Fernand Point)

Chad is on the right track but a more extensive search engine is Book Finder.com which scans Alibiris, ABEBooks, and a number of additional antiquarian book sites. This has the advantage of being able to filter by language, first edition, and signed copies.

I have conducted and have four listings although they are the 1974 edition (using the First Edition filter).

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Along the same lines, Fetchbook has been very helpful to me. As well, eBay can be pretty good to find books... you can enter your criteria and let it search for you. They will send you alerts when something comes up. I was able to get 2 of Notter's books at very sweet prices that way.

Second hand bookstores can be places to make great finds occasionally. I found come good ones in LaSalle area when I was searching a while back.

Also Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks will be a great place to look. She's in NYC. Good luck.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I tried book finder.com and was able to find exactely what I was looking for... Ma Gastronomie (Falmmarion, 1969) in French is on the way from some antiquarian book store in Pensylvania. cool. The book is even signed by Fernand Point's wife. It's supposed to be in excellent condition (fingers crossed). The ability to search explicitly for French language books made all the difference this time around. Thanks for the good advice.

ABAA (Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America) maybe a useful website for you. The annual book fair is coming to San Francisco next weekend. I've always been able to get some great collectible cookbooks at the fair. You may be able to find some dealers on the website. Edited by annachan (log)

This is another good link, seems more fosused on American books (though I've only done a few searches so far). My Fernand Point should arrive any day, I will report back when it comes in...

My local library should have a copy of this book, but its been missing, ie stolen.

And, how do you exactly know if something is a first edition? Sometimes, the book will state that its a first edition, but other times it doesn't mention that.