• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Battle Chocolate!

aguynamedrobert

Hello Everybody,

Well I just got word that there is going to be a Chocolate Battle on Iron Chef America. This will be airing on February 11th at 9pm. The Battle is against Chicago Chef Graham Bowles.

Next and even more exciting is the Chocolate Throwdown with Bobby Flay competing against Fritz Knipschildt. I just got the e-mail from Fritz announcing the battle. Fritz is a Master Chocolatier and is going to put a good name on fine chocolate. This is a must see episode. It is airing on February 8th at 10pm!

Great things happening in Chocolate...Stay Tuned!

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Yeah I think we are going to see some fun things coming from both sides...and of course a great dessert(Iron Chef)...Finally Food Network is putting on some good chocolate shows...let's hope they continue this trend...I really can't wait for the Throwdown episode...I think that one is going to be the most entertaining, for me that is...

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I think it was chocolate and coconut, if I remember right...hopefully this battle will have some good chocolate knowledge in it....I think Food Network falls short sometimes and giving correct and usable information on their shows...hopefully they will portrait chocolate in the right sense and without any wrong details....either way it will be fun to watch...

Robert

Chocolate Forum

The throwdown was all right. Bobby Flay made some ganache with ancho chili, cinnamon, and dark/milk chocolate, dipped in dark chocolate and drizzled with colored white chocolate. Fritz Knipschildt was slated to make a regular truffle, but at the last second busted out the molds with painted cocoa butter, luster dust, and I think a dark chocolate coating with caramel inside.

The sculpture was no contest.

Tough one for Flay as his skills in this arena were way below the level of his competition. I thought he did OK for somebody who is not a pastry chef. Fritz seemed to have fun with the whole thing. We got to see him demoing his technique on the molded chocolates, which was the neatest part for me.

Batali vs. Laiskonis was on right before.

Edited by ejw50 (log)