• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why is my toffee cloudy?

scarlett

Last night I whipped up a batch of toffee. Over the past few months I've probably made this toffee at least 5 times, but this is the first time it's turned out opaque (like a Werthers). I used a different molasses but don't think that's the cause. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention as I did before...I've become quite comfortable with the recipe (maybe a little too comfortable?)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the heck I did. It's still tasty, but not as pretty and I'd like to prevent the cloudiness in the future.

Any thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated!

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

The only thing I could think of is that is crystalized on you. Did the texture feel any different when you ate it? When sugar crystalized it changes the look/color of the candy. This can be caused from sugar crystals on the side of the pot falling back into the mixture after a boil or even stiring to hard...Let me know if that might match what it looks like...

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

you are going to have to give a recipe and the procedures you took. Theres a pretty good chance you just cooked it too long, or hot.

crystallization sounds pretty key though.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

The only thing I could think of is that is crystalized on you.  Did the texture feel any different when you ate it? When sugar crystalized it changes the look/color of the candy.  This can be caused from sugar crystals on the side of the pot falling back into the mixture after a boil or even stiring to hard...

Chocolate Forum

Hmm...my guess is that it's probably the sugar crystals from the side of the pot and I might have had the heat a little higher than I did before. I was using a different pot and was fooling around with that to.

As for the texture...I didn't notice a huge difference. Maybe less snap but overall, would you expect the texture to be significantly different?

Ah well...I'll chalk it up to a good learning experience and try another batch tonight.

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy