• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo wings in Buffalo - Where to go?

VictorFiorillo

I'll be in Buffalo for a couple of days next week, and I'm wondering where to go for Buffalo wings. I've been told that the Anchor bar, where they were supposedly invented, is not as good as other places. Any suggestions???

My fish fry place is already arranged... obviously, there's no healthy eating to be done in Buffalo.

I've lived in Buffalo for almost 20 years, ever since I came here for college (man, I still can't believe its been THAT long....)

My vote, hands down, no doubt...Duffs, the original on Sheridan Drive is the place to go.

Never was impressed by the Anchor Bar, but neat to go to, to say you've been there...

But if you are only going to one place, make it Duffs!

Victor,

yes, get some wings with a beer while you're there (sorry, no specific recommendations) but the thing you REALLY want to eat is Beef on Weck .

Charlie the Butcher seems to be a popular source.

ETA:

I just got a confirmation from someone who was working in Buffalo much of this summer - he agrees that Duff's is the spot for wings, and that the Beef on Weck rocks at the original Charlie the Butcher location (Wehrle Drive in Williamsville.)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I went to college in Buffalo and went back last year to make sure all the memories were correct.

If you only had one place to go I would go to Duffs as mentioned above. If you were able to try a few I would go to the Anchor Bar just for the experience but just don't order too much.

If you have time also go to La Nova on Main. It is mostly a take out place but there is a stand up counter where you can eat. Try the BBQ wings there.

Enjoy!

Keba

Victor,

yes, get some wings with a beer while you're there (sorry, no specific recommendations)  but the thing you REALLY want to eat is Beef on Weck

Charlie the Butcher seems to be a popular source.

ETA:

I just got a confirmation from someone who was working in Buffalo much of this summer - he agrees that Duff's is the spot for wings, and that the Beef on Weck rocks at the original Charlie the Butcher location (Wehrle Drive in Williamsville.)

Yes, for Beef on Weck, Charlie the Butchers is great, on the corner of Wehrle Drive and Cayuga Road, right near the airport...the other "famous" place for beef on weck is Schwabl's, off of Union road....

If you go to Charlies on a Thursday, do try their prime rib sandwich, it is to die for, excellent!

• 4 weeks later...
I went to college in Buffalo and went back last year to make sure all the memories were correct.

If you only had one place to go I would go to Duffs as mentioned above.  If you were able to try a few I would go to the Anchor Bar just for the experience but just don't order too much.

If you have time also go to La Nova on Main.  It is mostly a take out place but there is a stand up counter where you can eat.  Try the BBQ wings there.

Enjoy!

Keba

La Nova BBQ!! My buddy went to Buff State and a once a month visit is a must (usually made at midnight on a fri night)

Sorry... I may be a bit late to contribute to the OP's request, but I wanted to put in my obligatory recommendation of the wings at the Buffalo Brew Pub - around Main & Transit in Williamsville. Every time I go back to WNY to visit family, we always make it a point to stop here.

One of the things I like best about the Brew Pub wings is that they don't oversauce them. I despise soggy wings, and they put on just enough so that the one at the bottom of the pile is usually just as crispy as the first one.

Plus... the beer bread ROCKS! Not to mention, the Beef on Weck. Oh, yeah... the beer's pretty good too. And any place that lets you toss peanut shells on the floor gets bonus points in my book... :)

I've not been into Duff's, but I've been checking them out online. From what I gather, these may be the super-saucy type. Perhaps not my cup-o-tea, but I may have to check them out in person next time around.

__Jason

I've not been into Duff's, but I've been checking them out online. From what I gather, these may be the super-saucy type. Perhaps not my cup-o-tea, but I may have to check them out in person next time around.

__Jason

If you get medium or hotter at Duff's they tend to be pretty saucy, but not soggy. I know what you mean, I hate soggy mushy wings.

When I go to Duffs I usually go with the Medium Light wings, extra crispy...perfect for me, not too saucy, and the heat level is good. I could stand a little more, but I never understood eating them so hot you don't enjoy them.....

But be sure you go to the Sheridan Drive location, the one down in Orchard Park is not nearly as good.....

__Jason

If you get medium or hotter at Duff's they tend to be pretty saucy, but not soggy. I know what you mean, I hate soggy mushy wings.

When I go to Duffs I usually go with the Medium Light wings, extra crispy...perfect for me, not too saucy, and the heat level is good. I could stand a little more, but I never understood eating them so hot you don't enjoy them.....

But be sure you go to the Sheridan Drive location, the one down in Orchard Park is not nearly as good.....

Yeah... I don't get the super-hot wing thing either. I've had my share of paint-stripping wings, but looking back on it, it was when I was young and trying to impress someone. :raz:

Some claim there's an endorphin rush, but I never really noticed it personally.

At any rate, I hope to check out Duff's next time I'm back in town.

__Jason