• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten Free Suggestions for Catering

PaniniGuy

We're seeing more requests for gluten-free items. I've Googled a bunch of stuff recently to get ideas, but thought I might cut to the chase by coming here.

We have an upcoming catering gig where there will be some people requiring GF foods. Our typical catering menu relies heavily on bruschetta and crostini - obviously not things GF folks can eat when made with standard bread flours.

Anyone here have a flavorful, texturally desireable GF bread recipe that would work with bruschetta/crostini that they'd share?

This would also help solve our breading problem for things like eggplant.

We think we found a decent brownie recipe, but for other cakes and pie crusts, we're still looking. So any help there is also appreciated.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

There are gluten free bread recipes out there, try bob's red mill. FYI you need to be careful if someone has a severe reaction to gluten and you are using your same kitchen you will always have trace amounts of wheat which can effect some people(making you liable).

I am a celiac, so I appreciate what you are trying to do for the gluten free populace. I'm not a huge fan of bread (never have been) so I have unfortunately not explored that area of GF baking and have not yet encountered (in my city) a GF bread that has the "correct" texture for bruschetta or crostini, whether pre-baked or in mix form. However, in the States you have a lot more access to smaller, independent bakeries and food companies.

(Please forgive this next bit if it is information you are already familiar with!)

I have to second what gbbaker said with regards to cross contamination. It might seem that celiacs overreact to this issue, but the sad truth is that cross contam. happens on a molecular level and, depending on the sensitivity of the individual celiac, the results are serious to varying degrees. There is a bakery in my city that produces both regular and GF products and, even though they have a side of the kitchen dedicated to being GF and bake on different days, I get sick if I eat their products. One of my celiac friends gets sick simply from walking through the bakery section of the grocery store if they happen to be baking (inhaled flour particles)!

If you plan to produce your own breads, you will need to be very careful about cleaning ovens, baking sheets, pans etc. You will need to have duplicates of wooden equipment (wood is porous). In addition, staff will have to be trained to be very vigilant and to take the disease seriously. It isn't an allergy; it isn't someone being picky; it isn't a fear of carbs - it's a very real, incurable, auto-immune condition.

My best advice - if you seriously would like to pursue this option - is to consult with your local chapter of the Celiac Association. The celiacs will thank you :smile:

Best of luck (and my apologies again for being a Crusader :rolleyes: )

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the info aiar and gbbaker. Gluten Free is becoming more and more common.

I tellya the person that comes up with a gluten free bread mix that has the same texture as bread is going to make a fortune. We have a Bread Smith here that has gluten free Wednesdays and they do some business. Everything I've tried from them is still not what I would consider bread though.

Here is a list of books of which I have read none.

My mother was on gluten free diet for a while. Best we could do was try and get her to eat Asian, Mexican cuisine to name a few.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

a lot of Indian food is gluten free papadums are great for a bread like side dish and they are made from lentils for the most part ..

there are lots of desserts made from nut flour/ corn flour ...

and tons of books

depends I guess what you want to serve

I would ask the clients as well

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Just a note that there exist (in the UK at least) gluten-free *bread* flours (containing, not least importantly, xanthan gum to imitate the function of gluten).

Trying to make bread with an ordinary "gluten free" flour is a very disheartening experience!

One example: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/...ail/431847.html

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I got a request for gluten free cupcakes the other day, and because it's not something I normally bake, the best answer for me was to not take the job. As much as I appreciate the challenge of trying new types of baking, I really feel it's best for me to specialize in what I do best, and let those that specialize in other things do that. If I start responding to everybody's request...gluten free, sugar free, etc. then I lose track of my vision. Plus, with cross contamination issues it can get really messy. I just think philosophically we should offer what we do best, and outsource things we don't have experience in. That will truly make our customers happy.

I really like hummingbirdkiss's idea of switching to another "conveyance" that won't be a bastardized version of bread. Then you won't have to be a rocket scientist to try to make the gluten free version taste like the original. Plus, then you don't have to worry about putting signs and such for the gluten free versions of things that have gluten in them.

On a side note, I really am sorry for those affected with celiac. I know if you love bread like I do you must be very sad, and I don't want to suggest that people stop developing recipes to make better gluten free bread. I am simply suggesting that this sort of recipe development requires a lot of time and specialization.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe