• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting Boards

CRUZMISL

Indeed.  I've been using the hinoki and also end grain walnut (the twenty six pound block on which my knife is photographed -- hinoki is photogenic, not so much).  Not sure which board is better for the edge.  They are the best I have.

Rotuts, I don't ever, ever intend to cut on plastic with this knife.

But then to split a chicken I would not grab the hinoki...nor for that matter the Watanabe nikkiri.  Thinking about a deba...must resist.  For now, for splitting a chicken, my heavy ten inch chef's knife must suffice.  (And in truth it does a pretty decent job.)

Note, Watanabe asks that you use one of his knives for a year before you place an order for a custom one.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

""""     I don't ever, ever intend to cut on plastic with this knife.  ""

for a zillion years I thought this myself.  indeed ive made my own cutting boards, mostly birds eye maple.

then I got a poly board.  its not what ' plastic ' infers.  maybe for chicken, fish etc

then started using my EP'd globals on then, got a newer generation board from OXO and have never looked back.

my only point is that if you have some sharpening issues, the newer p[oly boards  ( OXO )  will be very forgiving on any knife's edge.

therfore, less sharpening.   that's the only point.

of course  now I use my EP a lot less, therefore get a lot less Physical Therapy, and satisfaction than I did before.

gain something, loose something.

I don't like cutting on poly boards, but it's really just about the sensation. If you're using well-sharpened Japanese knives with an appropriately light touch, there's nothing wrong with them. You're not going catch and edge and chip if you're using the knife properly. Most restaurants, even at the top end, use these things. 

If I had to use a machine-washable board I'd prefer the sani-tuf rubber ones. These are expensive and heavy and puke-colored, and also require a bit of adjustment to how they feel. But they're very soft and gentle on a knife edge.

Notes from the underbelly

As a carry over from the Best online Japanese knife shop thread -- perhaps Shizuo Tsuji says it most succinctly:

"The best chopping blocks are boards with the grain running the length of the board.  In Japan, cypress (hinoki) wood is the most common material.  Willow is also good.  There are also plastic boards, which are sanitary and kind on knives, but they are not aesthetic."

what I call plastic is very different than what I call poly

plastic is very hard  poly fairly forgiving.

if you want to keep your knives sharper longer  

this is the board Im very happy with   3 sizes  easy to clean  easy to bleach etc

I don't use a dishwasher so I can't comment on that

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-21-inch-x-15-inch-carving-and-cutting-board/1014949216?Keyword=oxo+cutting+boards

I got this initially only for chicken, liked it so much I have several different sizes.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:23 AM, rotuts said:

""""     I don't ever, ever intend to cut on plastic with this knife.  ""gain something, loose something.

I lied...I did not mean to.  I was hungry.  I grabbed the knife and the closest cutting board.

Only then I recognized my folly.

• 1 month later...

Toots received a Martha Stewart cutting board.  It's a plastic model about 10" X 14".  Toots didn't like the size, and she gave the board to me.  I just started using it a couple of weeks ago, and have used it about five times.

The issue is that the surface of the board is VERY slippery.  When washed, water just beads up on the surface.  When placed on a wooden work space, the board will slip and slide.  I have two older plastic boards and neither show these characteristics.  The Martha Stewart board feels like it has some sort of protective coating on it.

Has anyone experienced these issues with any plastic cutting board, or does anyone know what the board may be coated with?

... Shel

I would let that board slide right into the garbage and be done with it. While you may be able to keep it on the counter by using gfweb's good suggestion, if your knife slips because it has a slippery surface - and you may be cut badly if that happens, it is false economy to keep it, no matter whether it was a 'gift' or not or who gave it to you.

I assume this is the one you have. I concur with gfweb and Deryn.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Returning to your original question: I wonder whether it's actually a different plastic than most, instead of something with a surface coating.  The phrase 'poly board' doesn't actually say much, from a chemical perspective. Does it seem unusually light or heavy for its size? Is it particularly hard in addition to being slippery? I once had a cutting board made of polystyrene (I think); it was almost glassy in its transparency, hardness and slipperiness, and quite different from the standard polypropylene cutting boards.  (I finally decided it was a lousy cutting board and repurposed it as something like a surface protector so I could put a potted plant on a wood surface.) 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:05 PM, Smithy said:

Returning to your original question: I wonder whether it's actually a different plastic than most, instead of something with a surface coating.  The phrase 'poly board' doesn't actually say much, from a chemical perspective. Does it seem unusually light or heavy for its size? Is it particularly hard in addition to being slippery? I once had a cutting board made of polystyrene (I think); it was almost glassy in its transparency, hardness and slipperiness, and quite different from the standard polypropylene cutting boards.  (I finally decided it was a lousy cutting board and repurposed it as something like a surface protector so I could put a potted plant on a wood surface.) 

I'm looking into this matter further ... if I find out anything definitive, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

... Shel

• 1 year later...

I ordered a couple new cutting boards from amazon tonight...well seven.  But that is not the question.  While browsing cutting boards I discovered Yoshihiro.  Yoshihiro offers boards in polyvinyl acetate which are NSF and made in Japan as well as in hinoki reinforced with walnut to minimize warping, also NSF and made in Japan.  Not sure how hinoki could be NSF since it's not supposed to be washed, but whatever.

The hinoki board I purchased a while ago has warped so badly it is practically unusable.  The Yoshihiro boards are quite attractive -- however they are expensive enough that I hesitated to just buy now with one click.

Anyone have experience with Yoshihiro boards, either plastic or wood?

• Like 2

I prefer the inexpensive poly boards because they seem to be very easy on my knives.

The only con is that the high temps of the d/w seem to cause a slight warp to one side which means they will spin on the convex side...so I mark the 'good' side with a sharpie so I know which is the side to use.

I do like that they can go into the d/w, so I know they're always clean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I prefer the inexpensive poly boards because they seem to be very easy on my knives.

I have a large number of the thin, inexpensive ones. Two or three times a year I'll go through them, pick the six most-worn ones, and replace them. I get mine from the dollar store, so my cost is pretty minimal. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, lindag said:

The only con is that the high temps of the d/w seem to cause a slight warp to one side which means they will spin on the convex side...

I have taken to only buying the boards with some kind of anti-slip feature built into them.  My particular brand of dishwasher, Bosch, has not heating coil, it heats the rinse water to enhance the drying of the dishes. Whenever I can, I open up the dishwasher as soon as the cycle is complete which really helps speed up the evaporation drying. Added benefit to no drying coil, no worries about "top rack only."

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I do like that they can go into the d/w, so I know they're always clean.

This is why I only own poly boards. Wooden boards don't fare well in a dishwasher.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ordered a couple new cutting boards from amazon tonight...well seven.  But that is not the question.  While browsing cutting boards I discovered Yoshihiro.  Yoshihiro offers boards in polyvinyl acetate which are NSF and made in Japan as well as in hinoki reinforced with walnut to minimize warping, also NSF and made in Japan.  Not sure how hinoki could be NSF since it's not supposed to be washed, but whatever.

The hinoki board I purchased a while ago has warped so badly it is practically unusable.  The Yoshihiro boards are quite attractive -- however they are expensive enough that I hesitated to just buy now with one click.

Anyone have experience with Yoshihiro boards, either plastic or wood?

I don't want this to get lost so I am quoting it just to bring it to the forefront again as I am very curious as is the poster about these Japanese boards. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My current favorite is a Hi-Soft board I purchased from Korin. They're made from polyvinyl acetate. It is very forgiving on edges and allows you to mow through big piles of whatever and keep your knife sharp. My favorite thing to cut is thin ribbons of napa or red cabbage with a razor-sharp Global G17 (which has a pretty burly 11" blade). I can just SHRED through the cabbage paper thin, banging the blade up and down. It's a real pleasure. All my fish goes on it too.

I got the small size on Amazon, where it's not currently listed as being available. They have a bunch of sizes, but even the "small" one is on the large size for home use. There are two smaller sizes, and I'm thinking about picking one up. They're 15% off at the moment. One possible bad thing is that they're quite thick and heavy by ordinary consumer-grade, synthetic cutting board standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2017 at 10:48 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yoshihiro boards

Wowza! They are pricey! omg.gif

I do have some nice maple boards.

But I almost always use basic, big or small, thick or thin, HDPE boards.

They seem to last me a long time. I have one that's well over 10 years old.

I wash and scrub them good—then sanitize with near boiling water. 

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The Yoshihiro Hi Soft ones are essentially the same as the Korin ones, but are pricier and have a built in handle. If you're going to get a larger one, the handle might be worth the price. They get heavy.

Attached are some pics of the "small" Korin Hi Soft board, portioning some sockeye.

IMG_5856.thumb.JPG.140b7cb25eff1a94ebed9df3a0bca8fb.JPG

IMG_5859.thumb.JPG.01f2ebaf9a1d2b5fbe08b89034ae528d.JPG

It's biggish.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 4