• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

organic vs. natural

Honkman

I normally buy most of my meat as organic meat but the shopping possibilities here in San Diego are relative limited (Wholefoods and Jimbo). But there are many shops (TJ, Henrys etc.) which sell natural meat (and claim that it is minimal processed, free of antibiotics, pesticides, from grass fed animals etc.). I know that the "organic" meat includes certain processes and certifications which means it is controlled and nobody can claim something is organic if it is not organic. By searching on the web it looks like that there is no similar process for the "natural" meats. Does this mean that more or less everbody can claim some meat is "natural" with out any kind of evidence of the claims (e.g minimal processed, free of antibiotics, pesticides, from grass fed animals etc) or did I overlook some regulation for "natural" meat and it has a comparable standard as "organic" meat.