• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandwiches in Japan

torakris

I only spend 10 days of my life in Japan on the way back from a 10 weeks trip to China and Japanese sandwiches saved my life.

For some reason, probably including exhaustion and home sickness, I was craving mushy and slightly sweet food at the end of my trip in China. As soon as I arrived in Japan I stuffed myself with a few corner store sandwiches oozing with sweet mayo... I was in heaven! After a day, things went back to normal and was able to enjoy the rest of my travels in Asia.

Photo - http://mo-mama.com/img/050628-d1.jpg

I've seen a reliable testimony in another forum that in Kyushu pork kakuni is also made into hanpen sandwiches.

Oh, that looks good. What's hanpen? And where can I get some to make a sandwich like that?

What's hanpen? And where can I get some to make a sandwich like that?

It's mentioned repeatedly in this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=17704&hl=

With almost universal distaste. It's not my favourite part of Oden either.

It's a fish paste (surimi) product, but with a different texture to other surimi like kamaboko/chikuwa.

The light, fluffy texture and insipid taste makes it the white bread of the surimi world.

My husband's grandmother's dogs used to love hanpen. Once they broke into the larder and ate all the stored New Year food, not a piece of hanpen remained. The family realised that something was amiss when they returned home and none of them came to the door to greet them. They could barely move for days.

You should be able to find it in a freezer compartment. It's well known and inexpensive, just ask another shopper to point it out to you.

Edited by MoGa (log)