• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveling to NYC, need suggestions

rockandroller

Taste is a relative thing. It is SUBJECTIVE. No one here on the New York boards has any right whatsoever to negate or denigrate the opinions of others, although there has been little else but that on the New York forums in recent months.

I am thrilled to see zpzjessica posting here and offering suggestions that differ from the lockstep list of offerings that usually accompanies these threads. Welcome Jessica. Post lots. I for one would enjoy hearing what you have to say.

And Beebs, thank you for posting your recommendations from your recent trip to New York. It’s refreshing to hear about which restaurants visitors to our town have enjoyed. We New Yorkers often don’t pay enough attention to that.

I hope to see more of you both on these boards.

I have seen no one denigrated here.

Having an opinion does not grant one a god-given right to not be contradicted or disagreed with.

Neither does the first person to express an opinion get to have opposing opinions censored because it might hurt the first person's feelings.

As a human being I have the right to "negate" (i.e. disagree with) the opinions of others. I do not have the right to denigrate another's person for expression opinions that I disagree with.

Personally, I am of the opinion that the opinion that all opinions are unassailable is both platitudinous and banal.

edit: one more thing. this is rather pedantic, but assuming, arguendo, that taste is relative, it doesn't necessarily follow at all that taste is subjective (but then that word is both misunderstood and misused in common parlance).

edit 2: with that said, I of course, am glad to see new posters and new opinions (especially ones that I disagree with) here. but no one gets a free pass. no one gave me one...and neither should they have.

Edited by Nathan (log)

I am going to give one more suggestion, in the hopes that it doesn't get shot-down by anyone else on the boards, which seems to be happening to myself and others lately.

Barolo. It's on West Broadway (in Soho), and is amazing. I had the greatest business lunch there a couple of weeks ago and had their green apple ravioli in lamb ragu. YUM. The atmosphere is very nice, especially if it's a business lunch or dinner. And the food is fabulous, including the risotto (which they're known for).

I'm glad to have all the suggestions AND the feedback/input. Everyone won't agree and I can take all the info and then make my own decisions. It's quite possible that even if everyone DID agree and I went to a place all agreed upon, I might not like it. :)

My choices will likely be based on what's close by and what I'm in the mood for. Having lots of choices is just what I want, so I appreciate all the options and thoughts, including whether or not you personally like a place that's been suggested.

I'm Eurotrash myself.

I know a number of people who go to Barolo....and their friends.

They're of European origin, yes. many work at the UN.

same crowd as at Frederick's or French Tuesday parties (well the male ones)....those are commonly known as "Eurotrash" and no one is offended by it. (if you were raised in Europe and if in fact you are offended -- I apologize)

there is an entire circuit of restaurants and clubs which cater to Europeans living in NY. Barolo is part of that circuit. it's not a criticism, it's an observation (heck, most of the good parties are part of it)

Edited by Nathan (log)

no, i'm not european and it didn't offend me personally, but you could have left it out, or just said europeans. just bothersome because it seems like with your response to every suggestion on here, some little snippy, snide comment is injected.

i'm over it - lets not let this continue and ruin the point of this thread, please...

no, i'm not european and it didn't offend me personally, but you could have left it out, or just said europeans. just bothersome because it seems like with your response to every suggestion on here, some little snippy, snide comment is injected.

i'm over it - lets not let this continue and ruin the point of this thread, please...

Getting back to the thread, if you're in the Grand Central area and NOT with the seafood allergic boss, the Grand Central Oyster Bar is still great for oysters and all other seafood - a real oldtime NY classic - lunch or dinner. You can get in at Mesa Grill at under $74 pp. A lot of the corporate-y expense account types I work for (lawyers) also like Bice (Italian, midtown) although, right now, they're all crazy for anything BLT - BLT Steak, BLT Fish, etc. - but I believe BLT is pricier than most. They also dig JUdson Grill. The Rockefeller Center crowd was very into Tuscan Square for while. (Anything else I suggest would be out of the per diem, or seafood-y). You got some good suggestions to go on - have fun! :biggrin:

Was the 'eurotrash' comment really necessary? Couldn't you have just left your 'review' at '...the clientele's good for people watching'...?

I didn't say it but I certainly thought it. Just as I would describe the scene at DaSilvano as Eurotrash/ papparrzifest/ whores and the men that love them.. I would also call Barolo a Eurotrash scene. It is...what it is. Upon describing I personally wouldn't leave a piece of information of it's sigifigance out...especially when trying to describe the ambiance or style of a restaurant to a person who's looking for a certain type of experiance.

I like to know about more than just the food in a review, and I know many other people feel the same way.

no wif you were offended by the term "eurotrash" that's a diferent story.

Oh! for not terribly expensive Italian I throw Bar Pitti into the ring. It's near soho for some fun walk about stuff, it get's a fare share of celebs and I find the food to be comforting and well executed. The specials are generally tasty and the pastas are very good. It's not an inventive place, but a nice way to spend the afternoon.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Thanks everyone, all of you, for the suggestions.  I will be printing out the thread and taking it with me next Weds on the flight to figure everything out.

We tend to keep drinking to a min. on the trips for a couple of reasons:  it can't be expensed back and I have a LOT of appointments and running around to do and I can't do it if I have 3 or 4 drinks with dinner, I'm a small-framed female and I don't have the tolerance.  I know NYC is more expensive for nicer places, that's why I was saying your down and dirty, jeans-acceptable suggestions are also welcome.

Having done my fair share of running around NYC for work visits, all those wonderful little deli-cafes (sandwich shops? Lunch shops??) that are on every street corner were my life's blood. If you've only got 30 minutes between appointments and need a quick meal, you can get fresh salads, sandwiches, soups, hot entrees, etc -- a pretty decent fast meal for under $10. I live in a pretty big city with lots of great places to eat, but we certainly don't have these delis conveniently everywhere.

On the east side:

Is Menchanko-Tei still holding up? The last time I ate there was a year ago, but I loved it.

131 E 45th St | Btwn 3rd & Lexington Ave

Menupages

I second the Grand Central Oyster Bar.

Probably not good for V-Day, but Artisanal is close by in the 30s, and I think $70 or under pp is achievable.

2 Park Ave | At 32nd St, btwn Madison & Park Ave

Menupages

I've only ever had an appetizer and a glass of wine at Teodora, but the service was wonderful.

141 E 57th St | Btwn 3rd Ave & Lexington Ave

Menupages

If you WERE willing to go a LEETLE crazy, then Sushi Yasuda? (I can't remember from the beginning of the thread if there are food restrictions):

204 E 43rd St | Btwn 2nd & 3rd Ave

Menupages (although you'll want to sit at the bar and order whatever omakase)

Near Times Square:

I second Tintol, I love that joint.

Union Square/Downtown:

Otto, Casa Mono (too $$$ for my tastes, but that's close to Union Square and 15th), all good.

This place, Marquet, is my secret little getaway for a glass of wine:

12th between University and Fifth (no Menupages)

A lot of the burger places are in the Union Square area --

BLT Burger

470 6th Ave | Btwn 11th & 12th St

Menupages

Stand Burger

24 E 12th St (Cross Street: Between University Avenue and 5th Avenue)

Here's a NY Mag article about burgers:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/25300/

And Time Out:

TONY

And my faves in general:

'inoteca

98 Rivington St | At Ludlow St

Menupages

Centrico

211 W Broadway | At Franklin St

Menupages

Zum Schneider

107 Avenue C | At 7th St

Menupages

Alta

64 W 10th St | Btwn 5th & 6th Ave

Menupages

I think the Grand Sichuans are always recommendable. You can search for them in Menupages (I depend on this site like it's my boyfriend). I can't remember which one eGullet likes the best.

Hope these are close to your mark.

Those are all great suggestions in my book.

Blaue Gans also is lovely, as is Landmarc in the same neighborhood. Both are readily doable at your price point.

On the meta-issue of opinion, though: This *is* food we're talking about. There's good food, and bad food. There are people who get paid a lot of money to talk about what might constitute better and worse food quality, and some of them even aren't shills. I think that we have to be a bit comfortable expressing, *and contradicting*, opinions on what's good and not necessarily so good in the NY food scene. Putting down posters is unacceptable, but putting down opinions is another.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Those are all great suggestions in my book.

THanks for caching my oops on Judson Grill - I plead heavy OTC cold med use. blush: Oh, and let me jump right in there and second, "third" and "fourth" Casa Moho and Lupa, which are both within the expense account parameters (Babbo, unfortunately, is not.)

this is so helpful as we haven't been to the NYC in a while. Could anyone recommend a nice moderate French Bistro or Italian around E42nd near Grand Central? Or maybe Greek? This would be for Sunday evening. I've listed our preferences but we're open to anything!

Corkage friendly a plus.

Thanks from a DC egulleteer

Italian in the East 40s - L'Impero on Tudor Place (not that close to Grand Central but walkable). I haven't been there for some time, but good reports continue to predominate (though my brother and mother were slightly less impressed than many when they had dinner there about a year ago, for whatever that's worth).

Michael aka "Pan"

Enoteca Barbone. Think Batali food in aBatali-like setting without the batali prices. It's in the east village. avenue B.

Thanks for this. It wasn't on my radar.

However, it's at the same price point (or a little more expensive) as Lupa and not that much cheaper than Babbo.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...d=0&cuisineid=0

http://www.luparestaurant.com/menu-NEW.html

http://www.babbonyc.com/menu2.html

Edited by Nathan (log)

Barbone really is less expensive for a few reasons. The apps are sharing size (not itsy bitsy tasting sizes). And the primi's are also full main course sized portions. I don't believe the menu is meant to be eaten sequentaially in the true Italian format. While dining at Babbo and Lupa - for the right sort of meal it's wise, if not expected for you to order from top to bottom.

Hope this makes sense. :smile:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.