• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Bistral, a hole in the wall in Paris 17e

pierre45

Based on John Talbot's recommendation i went to the outskirt of the 17e to a very anassuming little place for dinner.I was almost tempted to leave as the waitress disappeared for a long time.When i complained, she said that the owner takes the order.Pretty soon a rotund man with a warm face appeared.He seemed deeply appreciative of good food so with his help i had a raviole de queue de boeuf in a basil sauce.It was unbeleivable ,a sophisticated taste of citrus ,basil and beef.

The main was liver,but what liver ,probably the best i have ever had.A thick piece that was married to a carrot and mustard sauce and surrounded with pieces of artichauts.Tout ca a ete arrose avec un gamay du chef.IT went very well.fruity but well balanced.

TOtal cost including the wine was 58 E an oustanding value

ITs only in France that one could eat like this .In a simple place, food is beeing served that's equal to a 1 star restaurant

I went there only once and the food was nearly inedible, and so fussy and complicated that it felt like a self-parody of trendy cooking. A serving of poule au pot fell apart like tired cotton wool (and tasted like it too) and the broth was plain yuck. On top of the bargain, they sat the two of us in the narrow, cold and uncomfortable back room, where no one else sat of the whole evening, letting the regulars fill up the much warmer and nicer front room. I decided this first time would be the last.

But judging by Pierre's report they seem to have simplified their cooking and put an emphasis on better ingredients. So it might be worth going there again.

I went there only once and the food was nearly inedible, and so fussy and complicated that it felt like a self-parody of trendy cooking. A serving of poule au pot fell apart like tired cotton wool (and tasted like it too) and the broth was plain yuck. On top of the bargain, they sat the two of us in the narrow, cold and uncomfortable back room, where no one else sat of the whole evening, letting the regulars fill up the much warmer and nicer front room. I decided this first time would be the last.

But judging by Pierre's report they seem to have simplified their cooking and put an emphasis on better ingredients. So it might be worth going there again.

They sat me also in Siberia but that day the food was excellent .Perhaps its inconsistent. so i look forward to your next visit

Sure that "Siberia" isn't the greatest area to enjoy your meal there, but for the several (over 20 ) times I've had dinner at le Bistral, I've only been disapointed once, and most of my meals were more than very good, some of them being just outstanding for the price paid.

Ptipois, I don't know if they have simplified their cooking as the team had dinner at Elbulli last summer, and brought back some ideas they have been using since, but their way. :smile:

The Bistral is certainly not the only very good bistro in Paris ( Le temps au temps, l'avant gout, …) but to me, it definitly is part of my favorite…and no, I do not work there :raz:

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

Ptipois, I don't know if they have simplified their cooking as the team had dinner at Elbulli last summer, and brought back some ideas they have been using since, but their way.  :smile:

It may very well have simplified their cooking. Dishes at ElBulli may be complex in their components and in their making, but they always appear as extremely simple as a result.

Thanks to Pierre45 I had the opportunity to revise my judgement of Le Bistral. The meal I had tonight was as delicious as the first one I had last year had been disappointing.

There was particularly a dish of perfect farm-raised veal fillet, quick-seared, sliced and laid on a plate, carpaccio style. The veal slices were then quickly heated in the oven and covered with a wonderful sauce of fond brun, chopped cèpes and truffles. On the side, creamed pasta with slivers of parmigiano reggiano. One of the best main courses I had in a Paris bistrot in a long time.

The cooking has not exactly been simplified, but it seems that the chef no longer gets lost into details and has reached maturity.

Thanks to Pierre45 I had the opportunity to revise my judgement of Le Bistral. The meal I had tonight was as delicious as the first one I had last year had been disappointing.

I want to call attention to what Ptipois just said and suggest what happened as a model for others to emulate. She and Pierre45 disagreed politely but decidedly on Le Bistral; then decided to go together and see what would transpire; result - happy ending for all including Chef Alexandre Matthieu. Nifty and innovative truc folks.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 years later...

We went with some friends last night and had to force ourselves out and away from all the wonderful wine. A short winelist, but lots of natural selections and even more natural wine in the cave. Our favorite was a Le Temp de Cerise, which all the body odeurs we love with natural wine. The food was very good and the highlite was a cote de veau with a small glass of rich dashi. Nice combination and fun, as I've been messy around with konbu and katsoubushi lately. It was full, but not like the other similar bistros, so I urge you all to go try it for yourselves.

It's smart to read comments from real people and choose where to eat.I have not been back to le bistral in a while,maybee its time.Actualy ,if you're still in Paris you should not miss L'egrume (5e).What a place,I have been there twice .