• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Whole Foods - Preston & Forest

The new Whole Foods (across the street from the old location) has been open for a little over a month now. The main obvious difference between the old and the new is the huge increase in prepared, take-out foods. A large candy-making station is prominent. And carbs are back in force with pastries, breads and a pizza station.

There is a "spa" upstairs --- mostly clothing. While they are trying for a health tie-in, it just doesn't seem to fit. But no one is going to climb those stairs for a head of lettuce.

Has anyone else been yet? Impressions?

I understand the planned new Plano Whole Foods is going to be the largest in the DFW area, and maybe larger than the Austin mothership. Huge.

The new Whole Foods (across the street from the old location) has been open for a little over a month now. The main obvious difference between the old and the new is the huge increase in prepared, take-out foods. A large candy-making station is prominent. And carbs are back in force with pastries, breads and a pizza station.

There is a "spa" upstairs --- mostly clothing. While they are trying for a health tie-in, it just doesn't seem to fit. But no one is going to climb those stairs for a head of lettuce.

I understand the planned new Plano Whole Foods is going to be the largest in the DFW area, and maybe larger than the Austin mothership. Huge.

This is the first I'm hearing about either one; I know they were planning an Austin-style installment to take the place of the one on lower Greenville but I didn't know they were doing one in Plano, too. And didn't they just redo the one in Plano a couple years ago?

went about two weeks ago. I was impressed. Much larger than any otehr whole foods I've ever been in. Loved the greatly expanded "sweets" section. I think the produce section doesn't stack up as well against Central Market. Same with the cheese. Meat and seafood seem to be pretty much on par. We'll see how long they keep up the variety, though. Central Market stated to dumb stuff down.

I didn't notice crabs. Were they live or already cooked? Of course, no lobster. So, they have that going against them. Does WF sell foie gras??

I didn't check out the spa to see what services were available. Not sure who would go there for services. But maybe if the price was right? I dunno. I heard that you can give them your grocery list and they'll shop for you while you get a massage or whatever. That might be nice. :)

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

The quality of crabs was very good as I remember, and I loved the electronic pricetag thing with each item. Was very impressed, though the spa definitely didn't fit in.

Also, I know my grandmother complained that it took too much energy to get from the candy area to the seafood.

Definitely better than the competition in the area.

www.wacatering.netfirms.com

talk does not cook rice

-chinese proverb

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first I'm hearing about either one; I know they were planning an Austin-style installment to take the place of the one on lower Greenville but I didn't know they were doing one in Plano, too. And didn't they just redo the one in Plano a couple years ago?

I got a clarification from Whole Foods management at the Plano store. The Greenville store will be only slightly larger than the current one, but in a free-standing location, perhaps later this year.

Also a new store is planned for the Park Lane & Central intersection across from North Park. The timeline is tentative, but construction may start this year with an opening date for summer 2008 -- again very tentative dates.

• 1 month later...

I shop here about once every two weeks. I like its prepared foods, salad bar etc the most. Try their smoked salmon. Its really to die for. Their little sushi/fish stand is always a good place to stop. For me its a place to go when I don't feel like putting a lot of time and effort into a meal, but still want something healthy and tasty. Its fun just perusing the different food stations and I always spend too much time there.

Having said that, I'm dissapointed with the new store. I thought it was going to be more like the big one in Austin. It pales by comparison. And the whole spa thing? Whatever. Its a bleeping grocery store, mmm kay? Why waste all that space...... I don't mind a small section for massages or whatever but.... what a let down!

Its still the closest "good" grocery store for me that offers more variety than Sprouts. Sprout's prepared foods are abysmal so its worth a trip a few blocks east for me.

the spa upstairs is not just a store but a full blown spa with private rooms, massage therapy, wet treatments, beauty services (mani/pedi, waxing, cosmetics) using all natural ingredients and treatments. there is also a classroom for classes on nutrition and wellness and you can get special chef prepared spa meals. i think it ties in quite nicely with the whole foods philosophy which is not just about food anymore.

• 2 years later...

How does the Whole Foods "we are more than a grocery store" marketing approach look today to everyone? Have you come to think of it in larger conceptual terms than an organically-oriented, healthy food oriented, grocery store? To me it rather still looks like a grocery store - a very attractive grocery store, but a grocery store. The spa upstairs is pretty much out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

The bananas I got yesterday were the cheapest I have seen in a long time, 39 cents per pound. Also some very nice goat cheese on sale. The bulk chocolate appears to be significantly less expensive than CM, but I need to make some chocolate notes at both stores to make a better comparison. Someone please correct me if I am off-base on this.

That's my report on all the most important food groups.

Anyone else found something of interest at WF?