• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone been to Restaurant MC yet?

bethb

Rosie to the white courtesy phone...ROSIE, to the white courtesy phone...

(credit: ejebud) :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I have Rosie's full report if anyone wants it...just PM me. I don't want to print it here without knowing if it's okay with her.

(Thanks, Coughy!) :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 months later...

(Disclaimer - they're a customer of mine)

I've eaten there once....end of February I think it was. The night we were there was among the first that the upstairs are was open....they were jam-packed until we left at 10-ish, and showed no signs of slowing. The food is a nice combination of straight forward technique, David Burke whimsy, and NYC vibe. All three folks in charge (Exec Chef Steve, Sous Chef Wade, and Pastry Chef Anina) put out excellent food that is approachable yet has enough twists to it that it keeps the diner interested throughout the meal.

And the cocktails are goooooood!

It's definately a valuable addition to the dining scene in Millburn/Maplewood/Summit. I think it will find great success, as there is no other restaurant that does what it does as well as it does it anywhere in the area.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Our party of 4 dined upstairs in early March. We will not

return. Although the restaurant was not half full [mid week], cocktail

service [glasses of wine yet!] was very slow. We didn't find

several of the dishes 'good enough' let alone excellent.

A recent NSLedger review rated mc 2 1/2 stars which

we thought generous although we did note that we happened

to have ordered several of the dishes the review

described negatively [e.g. the caesar salad entree]....so perhaps

other menu choices would have generated a better opinion.

• 2 months later...

oh that was a fun read

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I really make it a point not to go out with people who put on a show at restaurants. I think it's a personality disorder. I enjoy going out to restaurants, befriending the staff and relaxing. I won't go out with control freaks.

I saw a TV show where a diner said to the the waitress: Could you toast the top of my toast, but not the bottom of my toast? Her dining companion said: You can just spit in our food right here.

"Personality disorder" indeed. If that woman actually practices medicine, I hope she's a pathologist.....

I'd like to hear of the dining experiences with Dr F when she hits menopause full time... Going out to eat with someone like that is asking for trouble.. I just hope the poster doesn't forget-if they decide to go back, the waitperson is going to remember big time, and as the restuarant gossip vine grows.. so will everyone who works there. Not a pretty evening ahead.

http:/www.etuinc.com

Does anyone have the scoop on this new David Burke restaurant in Millburn?

Went for lunch a few weeks ago and we liked it. Food and service were excellent.

Bea/NJ

PS ROSIE- we have been away and I just saw your Hackettstown message. I don;t know that restaurant..sorry.

Bea---NJ

• 6 months later...

Had some snacks and drinks there tonight. Place was packed (8:00 pm). Sat at the upstairs bar, watched the Patriots vs. Jaguars game on the flatscreen and also projected on the wall in the next room. Cocktails were excellent (try the nutty pear!). Mussels and fries were good. Had to have the signature cheesecake lollipops (fun!). A little pricey but I'll be back when I want a hip and upscale night out in Millburn.

• 1 month later...

We ate here last weekend and it was terrible. Had a 8:30 res, table for 6 on Sat night. Had to leave a $25 deposit so they would hold the table. Short version is we didn't get seated till 10:40pm. And that is not a second of exaggeration. It's a long story why we didn't leave and go elsewhere, but it involved a 8 3/4 month pregnant person eating aps at the bar. I spoke to the hostess who was ridiculously air headed. Then I spotted the owner (Mark I think) wandering around in a ratty T-shirt, jeans and holding a glass of red wine. I talked to him and he seemed as amateurish as they come. Didn't even really get an apology, let alone an offer of a drink at the bar. I will say that the bartender (possibly John) was outstanding and ordered us a free bar pizza. Once we were seated and ordered our food was pretty good to average. Tuna was ordered well done and came out raw twice. I thought food was extremely expensive and for that price you can get better in many other places. At the end when we got our bill, they had taken off $75 for the wait which, if the management had a clue, they would have told us they were doing. Instead we just discovered it while divvying up the bill.