• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony on Oprah

vivelafrance

Since when is recalling an anecdote from your past for a very small blurb in a magazine article "selling out"?  I, for one, LOVED it.  (And I love Oprah, too.)

There's nothing wrong with anyone "selling out". It's the cost of celebrity. The trick is to maintain the image without becoming a caricature of yourself.

Bourdain can probably pull it off as well as anyone. I mean, how many people would do a Los Angeles show about the real people who live there?

SB (loved the big car. The original "your father's Oldsmobile".)

WOW, we have a real Bourdain fan club going here. I hope he appreciates your dedication, because obviously there is nothing Mr Bourdain can do wrong in some people's book. I still like him, his books and his shows, but I am not going to defend everything he does, no matter what. A little criticism has never hurt anyone....And a little distance on some people's part wouldn't hurt either....

WOW, we have a real Bourdain fan club going here. I hope he appreciates your dedication, because obviously there is nothing Mr Bourdain can do wrong in some people's book. I still like him, his books and his shows, but I am not going to defend everything he does, no matter what. A little criticism has never hurt anyone....And a little distance on some people's part wouldn't hurt either....

Uhh.. you're the one that started the thread. And with the sentence "It's no secret that Tony Bourdain is my hero". I find it rather amusing that you've taken it upon yourself to criticize others for being in Tony's corner. Did you expect people to automatically agree with your point of view and perhaps shower you with praise and compliments for such a thought-provoking topic of discussion?

Bourdain and Oprah. That does not make sense.....Does anybody get it?

Oprah has mass market appeal and provides Bourdain the opportunity to reach a audience of millions. If that kind of publicity is a bad choice, then I don't see it.

But then I am a major Oprah fan and believe not only is it good publicity for Bourdain, but first and foremost, a great honor to be featured in her magazine.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

But there will be a stiff financial fine imposed on those who use the terms "Anthony Bourdain" and "bad boy" in the same sentence ever again. It's so ten minutes ago. There has to be a better way to describe him.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Selling out is going against your morals or convictions for money. I have musician friends who were asked to sell a song of theirs for a Hummer commercial. They consider themselves environmentalists, and wouldn't do it-that would have been selling out.

Recounting a story from your past for a national magazine is not "selling out" unless the particular magazine somehow violates your morals/convictions.

Selling out is going against your morals or convictions for money. I have musician friends who were asked to sell a song of theirs for a Hummer commercial. They consider themselves environmentalists, and wouldn't do it-that would have been selling out.

Recounting a story from your past for a national magazine is not "selling out" unless the particular magazine somehow violates your morals/convictions.

Well said. I saw the article, bought the mag...I don't get the problem. He had something to say about how he was humiliated while in one of his first jobs. I don't think this is a bad thing, in fact, I rather like hearing his story. I like Oprah's mag. and it's probably a 'girl thing', but hey...we like what we like.

That said, I watch Martha Stewart almost everyday (it leads into Jeopardy) and I saw that Tony was going to be giving out chef's tips next week on the show.

Now.....My big thing with Martha, was always the ego. For YEARS the mag. had her on the cover. Oprah, yea,...but she got off rather quickly, and didn't have to go to jail to do it. Now your're more likely to find other pic's than the 2 of them...although oprah might just be doing the covers when she looks good!

I think Tony's staying healthy doing mags and shows...and then he can retire to wherever and do whatever. I should be so lucky.

how could spreading humility around be a bad thing? Hey, it gives him credos..

If Paula D. has a mag, I can see no reason why Bourdain wouldn't want to emulate her, Oprah and Martha and launch his own. You'd buy it, right? I would. KC was written before Bourdain became a food media idol: can we not accept that his life has changed, his career has changed and he's older? He's published a cookbook and a compilation in the last couple of years -- I liked them both but it's hackish work. And that's OK! He's entitled to his middle-aged fame. And easy money.

He hasn't yet sold out like his friend Batali and the Nascar lettuce, but if he could I hope he'd grab it. All those years working the line, he's knowledgeable and deserving. But VdF, he's never pretended to be pure. Please don't imagine that he is. Are any of us?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

If Paula D. has a mag, I can see no reason why Bourdain wouldn't want to emulate her, Oprah and Martha and launch his own. You'd buy it, right?  I would. KC was written before Bourdain became a food media idol: can we not accept that his life has changed, his career has changed and he's older?  He's published a cookbook and a compilation in the last couple of years -- I liked them both but it's hackish work. And that's OK! He's entitled to his middle-aged fame. And easy money.

He hasn't yet sold out like his friend Batali and the Nascar lettuce, but if he could I hope he'd grab it.  All those years working the line, he's knowledgeable and deserving.  But VdF, he's never pretended to be pure. Please don't imagine that he is. Are any of us?

If he had a magazine like Oprah and Martha I doubt I would be tempted to crack it. Tony's tips for home entertaining - "bad boy" style? Please............

But there will be a stiff financial fine imposed on those who use the terms "Anthony Bourdain" and "bad boy" in the same sentence ever again. It's so ten minutes ago.

I'm pretty sure Bourdain could do a dinner party.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

But there will be a stiff financial fine imposed on those who use the terms "Anthony Bourdain" and "bad boy" in the same sentence ever again. It's so ten minutes ago.

Is that challenging?

Is that challenging?

oh yaa.

Is that challenging?

oh yaa.

?

menon, I believe that they are, now how do we say it in Oz, taking the piss :biggrin:

You know what? I think we need to tread a little carefully here. We're not talking about just an image or an icon. At this stage in his career, we are talking bout somebody's life, and his livelihood.

In a very real sense, WE are the people who determine if he makes his mortgage payment. It's fun to talk about and all; but I would like to respectfully submit that this thread be abandoned, and all speculation ceased. Mr Bourdain has made it abundantly clear that he is uncomfortable with the concept of laying his entire damn life out for public consumption; if we respect him at all, we should change the subject.

Just my two cents.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

But there will be a stiff financial fine imposed on those who use the terms "Anthony Bourdain" and "bad boy" in the same sentence ever again. It's so ten minutes ago. There has to be a better way to describe him.

How about the words "kinder" and "gentler?"

r Bourdain has made it abundantly clear that he is uncomfortable with the concept of laying his entire damn life out for public consumption; if we respect him at all, we should change the subject.

He has, I am sure, said that here and I know in other places. I agree with you. I for one don't really want to know the really private side of most anyone who maybe in the lime light for any reason. Seems almost stalkerish. (if that is a word?)

:blink: Unfortunately, we live in a media age where information can be found with the click of a mouse or the click of the remote. Makes it hard to hide from those would-be stalkers.

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

after reading the title of this thread I got really excited, because I thought tony was going to be on the oprah show. Can you imagine? Hilarious.

Tony on Oprah WOULD be hilarious! And so what if he WAS on? He's got book units to move, like any other author. Tony guesting on a Rachael Ray show, though? Now THAT would be a sellout. As for his personal life, well, true - almost anything is accessible by a mouse click these days. However, while I believe Tony to be excruciating honest - and candid - about his most of his life, I get the sense that whatever he doesn't want to get out there really won't. (Not bad stuff, just personal stuff.) So I say . . . Tony on Oprah? Enjoy the ride! :cool:

Edited by Claudia Greco (log)

However, while I believe Tony to be excruciating honest - and candid - about his most of his life, I get the sense that whatever he doesn't want to get out there really won't. (Not bad stuff, just personal stuff.) So I say . . . Tony on Oprah? Enjoy the ride! cool.gif

Yea unfortunately, there has been personal stuff out there.

Tony on Oprah WOULD be hilarious! And so what if he WAS on? He's got book units to move, like any other author. Tony guesting on a Rachael Ray show, though? Now THAT would be a sellout.

so what if he was on? I dont think it would be bad if he was on, I just think it would be hilarious. I would definitely watch that and the rachel ray concept (crossing my fingers for both)

so what was the article about?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

He has been on Oprah.

“I’ve been on Oprah, and Letterman has been good to me a couple of times,” explains Bourdain. “I turned down Tony Danza. Oprah was a very strange experience. You go on because you sell 15,000 books for every minute that you are on the show.

“So I’m sitting on the stage and there’s an empty seat next to me. I look out into the crowd and I can see these women that bought their tickets two years ago, and they have all bought new dresses, got their hair done and have been dieting for two years. They all had this blissed out look. Suddenly, there is a roar as The Oprah appears. I could feel myself blowing in the wind. I can’t remember a single word that I said. God knows what I said. It was over in an instant.”

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/authors-corne...-bourdain.shtml

The article in the magazine was on a wedding cake he agreed to make early on in his career...before he learn to make a wedding cake. How do we get ourselves roped into shit like that? :raz: I enjoyed it.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

He has been on Oprah.

“I’ve been on Oprah, and Letterman has been good to me a couple of times,” explains Bourdain. “I turned down Tony Danza. Oprah was a very strange experience. You go on because you sell 15,000 books for every minute that you are on the show.

“So I’m sitting on the stage and there’s an empty seat next to me. I look out into the crowd and I can see these women that bought their tickets two years ago, and they have all bought new dresses, got their hair done and have been dieting for two years. They all had this blissed out look. Suddenly, there is a roar as The Oprah appears. I could feel myself blowing in the wind. I can’t remember a single word that I said. God knows what I said. It was over in an instant.”

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/authors-corne...-bourdain.shtml

The article in the magazine was on a wedding cake he agreed to make early on in his career...before he learn to make a wedding cake. How do we get ourselves roped into shit like that?  :raz: I enjoyed it.

Yep, you're right - I forgot I had actually read that same article a while back. What got me was Tony's remark that he could see that the women in the audience have been dieting for 2 years - in general? Or because they got tickets ages ago to an Oprah taping? Oy! :rolleyes:

I agree with a poster above that Tony going on Rachael Ray would be a sell out, but I would watch it, just to see how she would react with him, but I don't think that would ever happen in a million years. As for Oprah, we can only hope that she finally has realized her mistake with Ms. Ray and maybe would rather have Tony be her shining star? He'd be a great talk show host. I do believe that I either remember reading or hearing him somewhere saying that he is a media whore and will take the exposure where he get it, something along those lines. We could all use a little more Tony and lot less of Rachael Ray. :wub:

While I don't have anything against Oprah, per se, her show (or any talk show, honestly) is not on my normal radar... or I should say, wouldn't be unless there was someone I found personally interesting as a guest. Anthony Bourdain (sorry; I can't bring myself to be so familiar as to call him "Tony,") would be eminently worth watching, and not just because I might get to see him elaborate on the comments he made as a guest blogger <a href="http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html">here</a> last week. (If you haven't seen it, you really should. No, really. Just... go there.)

Somehow, after reading the throwdown referenced above, I don't think we'll be seeing him on RR's show anytime soon... but if he did, I think I would even brave *that* to see him. It'd be a hoot... although my vote for his next media opportunity would be a show featuring AB & AB (that is, Anthony Boudain & Alton Brown.) Two guys with personality AND cooking skills. That'd be must-see TV to me. And great PR for both of them, as I'd Tivo that sucker and make everyone I know watch it...