• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony on Oprah

vivelafrance

It's no secret that Tony Bourdain is my hero. I have the biggest crush on him and even my BF knows that and I think accepts it with grace. I think Tony

has class, defies conventions and follows his own rules. In my book, those are qualities rare to find these days. I still want to hold out hope that Tony wouldn't sell out in the name of money or fame. So, I ask you, WHY,WHY is he featured in Oprah's Magazine O?

the link: http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/200702/omag..._firsts_b.jhtml

Tony, if you read this, I beg you to reassure me and tell me that there is good explanation for this....

Bourdain and Oprah. That does not make sense.....Does anybody get it?

I get it, without any surprise at all. Tony Bourdain is in the business of selling himself (as are many other foodie celebs), so having exposure through Oprah only makes sense. I don't think it is a bad idea, regardless of how I feel about him. It is simply typical for people on the rising side of the escalator to do. I hardly ever watch him any more because he seems to crave attention through doing sensational things.

I get it, without any surprise at all. Tony Bourdain is in the business of selling himself (as are many other foodie celebs), so having exposure through Oprah only makes sense. I don't think it is a bad idea, regardless of how I feel about him. It is simply typical for people on the rising side of the escalator to do. I hardly ever watch him any more because he seems to crave attention through doing sensational things.

Maybe you're right. I am hooked on the old Tony, the one from the beginning, when he wasn't as famous...But could he really have changed that much?

As you can guess, I am not a big fan of Oprah. She is all about self promotion and has a great sense of self importance. He could have picked a different media. That's all.

Now that he's not cooking, he has to do sensational things, or go hungry. Kind of the nature of the TV beast.

I was at a table with Tony not long ago and, even if he's shilling himself on Oprah to keep his celeb career alive, he's still a pretty good guy: fun to talk to, brutally opinionated and more polite than you'd think.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I suppose I won't hold it against him.

Maybe we'd all secretly like to have the chance to "sell out". :hmmm:

SB (still NOT an Oprah fan though)

"And today on Oprah/Martha Stewart/Rachael Ray/Ellen/etc. bad boy celebrity chef and author, Anthony Bourdain, will be cookin' up something tasty and discussing his new book, Bistro Meals Made Easy............but up next, advice on how to fix up that failing relationship with a delightful homemade flower centerpiece.........."

So Tony did Oprah...big deal. Nice little story he contributed. Funny cake. Ha ha. When did Oprah become the antichrist?

In my house, while not the antichrist, she's pretty far down the list of talk show hosts/interviewers we respect. She does have some good guests on, but she's much too full of herself to carry-out a "real" interview.

I can imagine, though, that Tony would have been as graceful as he always is when being interviewed, even if the host(ess) really only wants to talk about him(her)self.

meh. Better him than Rachel Ray. Bourdain is a force for good.

I beleive you are right. As annoying as Ms Ray is, once she fell under the spell of Oprah she was everywhere, opining on everything.

As much good as Oprah has done I think she may be the ruination of many a good soul.

Any time I can read something new that Tony has written I'm happy, I don't care where it is.  He's such a terrific writer.  Just enjoy!

Hear, hear! As long as he continues to produce work showcasing his trademark wit and biting intellect, I'll keep reading his stuff with pleasure. Who else has the cojones to unabashedly assail Woody Harrelson and his raw food diet, foie gras naysayers, AND Rocco DiSpirito in one fell swoop? Bourdain 2008! (ok, maybe not, but I'm still a fan of AB!)

Any time I can read something new that Tony has written I'm happy, I don't care where it is.  He's such a terrific writer.  Just enjoy!

Have you read Tony's commentary on the Top Chef contestants on Michael ruhlman's blog- It's been up for a while but I just found it- hilarious.

ksoss

I, for one, believe that those Oprah housefraus could USE a little exposure to the force that is Tony Bourdain. I think he'll survive the encounter just fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Have you read Tony's commentary on the Top Chef contestants on Michael ruhlman's blog- It's been up for a while but I just found it- hilarious.

What's the link to that commentary? I'd love to read it.

What's the link to that commentary? I'd love to read it.

It's www.ruhlman.com enjoy

ksoss

The force?

The force, indeed! Imo, Tony has that certain je ne sais quoi (sp?) factor; a genuine voice. Not self-serving. Adventurous. Knowledgeable. FUN. In short, he's THE REAL DEAL.

And no, I haven't had the pleasure of hanging out with him. At least, not yet. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I, for one, believe that those Oprah housefraus could USE a little exposure to the force that is Tony Bourdain. I think he'll survive the encounter just fine.

The force?

malevolent force of culinary nature...I abbreviated slightly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Oh, get over it! Bourdain has mentioned, on this site, I believe, the concept of "Fame Maintenance." There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like a page in O Magazine to ensure Fame Maintenance.

St. Anthony of Manhattan absolutely has that genuine voice, but he has to make a liviing. O Mag is read by others than hausfraus, and I object mightily to the dissing of hausfraus. And Bourdain (whom I've met in his charming real life self) is allowed to make a buck.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh, get over it!  Bourdain has mentioned, on this site, I believe, the concept of "Fame Maintenance."  There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like a page in O Magazine to ensure Fame Maintenance.

St. Anthony of Manhattan absolutely has that genuine voice, but he has to make a liviing. O Mag is read by others than hausfraus, and I object mightily to  the dissing of hausfraus. And Bourdain (whom I've met in his charming real life self) is allowed to make a buck.

well said