• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sydney Restaurant Recommendations

Will be in Sydney next week. We have been planning this trip for the last 5 months so hopefully it will be an enjoyable trip. Our three dinners will be at The Bentley Bar, Quay and Marque. Hopefully we can try some quality, less expensive places for lunch/brunch.

Good choices. Somewhere cheap you could try is Cafe Sopra. They have a few locations but it's one of those places where a lot of Sydney's chefs and food identities go to. It's run by the Fratelli brothers. Really good food in a nice setting and cheap. You could also try for cheapish lunches are Glebe Point Diner, Yoshii for lunch or Bodega on Thursday or Friday plus the aforementioned yum cha places earlier in the thread. If you want/are willing to spend a little extra go to Sean's Panorama. Really simple food with a killer view. It's on Bondi Beach. To me it's what Australian dining is all about. It's not the best restaurant in the country by any means. But it's about the lifestyle and culture in this country. Chef with his own farm uses those ingredients on his really simple chalkboard menu which is on the beach in a really relaxed setting. No pretentious dining rooms, over the top service or anything like that. Just somewhere where you can have an ice cold beer or wine, eat great food and watch the waves roll in.

Edited by roosterchef21 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

My Wife and I had a great time in Sydney.

Our first dinner was at The Bentley Bar. My wife had the Vegetarian Tasting menu, I had the one with meat. Her first course (smoked potato foam and other things) was the most memorable from her food. The dessert was stunning, some inventive technique being shown in the freestanding Mandarin custard with a liquid chocolate interior. Porkbelly coated in a milk gel, dehydrated mushrooms. Very exciting food. Lots of great tastes and great service. Best lemon/lime/bitter from the three restaurants we visited as well. (my wifes drink of choice)

Quay was second, stunning view from the Rotunda. The first three courses were subtle. All very well cooked and presented, the vegetables with little goats cheese filled tuile sticks as great from these. The last three savoury courses were phenomenal. The pork especially has seared its place in my mind forever. The guava egg was incredible as well.

Marque was our third dinner. In contrast with Quay, the first three were among the most impressive of the evening. The paddle crab with almond and corn was superb, as was the cured mackeral and smoked foie gras (omg, smoked foie gras) and the Scampi with cos lettuce. The duck and veal were both good, but much more simple than the other courses. The sauterne custard pre dessert was the silkiest egg custard that I have ever had. An optional cheese course was offered that featured Vacche Rosse Parmegiano and a truffle stock, it was very good.

We also had a great pizza at Ventuno for one of our lunches, I would happily return for another if I find myself in Sydney again.

I was impressed by the level of service given at all of the restaurants. Very knowledgeable staff, and wonderful food all around.

The professionalism of the front of house staff was far superior to any of the NZ restaurants I've visited. The food at Quay as the best looking presented food I've encountered and the Pork was one of the best things I've ever eaten anywhere. I'd say that if there was a big enough customer base in Auckland, both Meredith's and Sidart would be on par with Marque. As it stands they miss the little things like Petit four and optional extra courses.

One thing that Sidart did have over both Quay and Marque was how almost every dish made me grin in delight. There was only one dish at Sidart that didn't hit the sweet spot and that was the blue cheese pre dessert which was a little too heavy to acheive that.

I'd like to compare it to other restaurants around the world, but unfortunately my fine dining experience has been limited to NZ and now Sydney.

• 3 months later...

Recently visited one of my favourite places, Lochiel House, again. We're not frequent visitors, but it honestly seems to get even better everytime we go - and apparently the SMH reviewers have agreed, giving it an extra hat in the last Good Food Guide. This time they had steak tartare on the menu (I am incapable of resisting raw meat!) with rice crisps, nori and a warm yolk. It had just the slightest resilience and was perfectly balanced. They have great relationships with local producers and it shows through the entire menu. Also, having a non-drinker as my partner, I really appreciate the care they put into matching wines by the glass to each of the dishes on the menu.

For those just visiting, they are some distance out of central Sydney (and they are a regional restaurant, in a very old building with slanty floors - call it charm), but worth the effort.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sean's Kitchen (again) for me tonight.... :)

Food was awesome as always. Service (particularly drinks) was below par. Two seperate orders for drinks were "forgotten"...Anyway, apart from that, it was great.

Mains (for me) was South Australia Rib-Eye steak cooked med-rare and it was! Side dishes included house made chips cooked in duck fat, onion rings, cauliflower, brocoli greens. All these dishes were great.

The real masterpiece of the night was a vanilla and honey creme brulee with a strawberry & rhubarb compote. Probably the best creme brule I have ever had. The mouth feel was just awesome.

Cheers

Luke

• 2 months later...

I'll be heading down to Sydney again soon. I'm stoked to go to the new Becasse, from what Monty (Koludrovic, head chef)described last time I saw him, it'll be something else.

Marque is always on the list, as is my old work Fratelli Paradiso. I really want to try Sepia this time, and probably Grant King's new restaurant in Potts Point.

James.

• 2 years later...

I will be in Sydney for a few days in December (22-24) with hubby and my parents. We'll be staying at the InterContinental by the Circular Quay. I haven't spent much time in Sydney so I'm looking for suggestions.

We'll probably have one of two expensive meals. I know I won't be able to get a table at Quay, Tetsuya and Guillaume at Bennelong are not open during the days we're there. Aria, Rockpool and Est. seem to have tables available. Anywhere else I may want to consider? What about casual places?

Also, will likely be visiting Manly, Bondi, other tourist attractions. Any good eats (probably more casual places) around those areas? Maybe somewhere for high tea with a view?

As far as cuisines, we're not picky. I would say no Mexican food and no Cantonese food (parents will be in Hong Kong pre and post visiting us).

Marque, Bentley, est. and Four in Hand were my favourites. Aria is pleasant enough but largely forgettable. The food is done well but ... well, there's a reason it's mostly filled up with tourists and the business lunch crowd. You might find Sepia amusing enough, I guess, although personally I thought it was way too loud to be enjoyable.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Along with the premium restaurants that you have mentioned, I'd explore Sepia and Momofuku Seibo both of which are as good, if not better, than Aria, Tetsuya and Guillaume.

Bentley has opened an offshoot restaurant called Monopole which has a very good name.

Icebergs at Bondi is also a premium destination.

Apart from those there are so many others depending on what you want that it is hard to recommend something more specific.

If you have an iPhone, I'd recommend the Sydney Morning Herald good food app as well as the Gourmet Traveller restaurant guide app.

If you want to tell us what you would like to try, it will be easier to recommend things.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Since we just booked the hotel and flights, I'm not quite sure what the itinerary will be yet. As we're staying Sun/Mon nights, I think our options are limited due to places not open during those days. I checked Sepia and it's not open. I was thinking Aria more for the location and the views.

Will post more info once we figure out what our plans may be.

Also, will likely be visiting Manly, Bondi, other tourist attractions. Any good eats (probably more casual places) around those areas? Maybe somewhere for high tea with a view?

Manly is lovely but touristy, not a huge amount to recommend despite there being so much choice. Hugos, which is right on the Manly ferry wharf, has great pizzas and the times I've been the service has been impeccable.

The next suburb over from Manly is Freshwater, where you will find the restaurant "Pilu" on the beach. Pilu is great, they have fantastic set-course lunch specials. I used to live on the same road and although it was too expensive to have dinner there often, once they introduced their set-course lunch (which changes every 2 weeks) we were able to pop down more often. The restaurant is in a beautiful beach house overlooking Freshwater beach.

As for high-tea, the nicest view is probably at the Gunners Baracks aka The Tea Room. The same company also does high tea at the QVB (Queen Vitoria Building) in the centre of Sydney - but the views there are of designer shops and not the harbour.

Less formal (not quite a high-tea) but also with a great setting and view is the cafe Burnt Orange.

I'd second Pilu at Freshwater. It is an old house with fantastic views over the ocean. Another on to consider is Ormeggio at the Spit, which is just before one of the bridges you go across on the way to Manly.

Hugo's is good for pizza, etc but may have too much of a young crowd for your parents.

You could also catch the ferry to Watson's Bay and have a pub lunch on the deck there.

You could also go to Ripples at Milson's Point which is under the harbour bridge on the northern side and serves reasonable food with a great view. They also have an outlet at Chowder Bay, which is near the Gunner's barracks and burnt orange mentioned above.

Monopole is open seven nights. No view but great food.

Icebergs is also open Sunday but not Monday.

If you are staying Sunday and Monday, I'd do an expedition on Sunday, perhaps to Icebergs at Bondi. On Monday you could go to Monopole or even try one of the Restaurants on Finger Wharf at Wollomoolloo such as Otto.

Again, the field is wide open and if you tell us the sort of food you like, you'll get some more targeted responses. It seems view is important. Any of the above except Monopole would fit this criterion.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, so you did decide to spend Christmas with your parents! You poor thing :)

My favourite cheap eats places in Sydney are Super Bowl in Chinatown (go there for breakfast or supper), and Golden Palace. Din Tai Fung is also quite good.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. Everything ended up being planned the last minute. Had a great dinner with views at Cafe Sydney. Found a couple of good breakfast places at The Rocks - La Renaissance Cafe Patisserie and Le Pain Quotidien. And a cheap hole in the wall in Chinatown with some authentic Xi'an food (Xi'an Cuisine). Though I wouldn't have been able to get a reservations at Quay anyway, I would have been pissed if I did as there was a large cruise ship parked outside, blocking the fantastic view....

I need to go back another time for a more foodie-centric trip.

• 3 years later...

I am going to stay in Sydney for a couple of days over CNY. As this thread is rather ancient, is anyone willing to share his/her current recommendations for some nice options for two adventurous eaters and one three-year old with a preference for white crustless bread ?

(Chinese/Japanese not required, as the options in Hong Kong are plenty)

Thanks!