• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pies 'n' Thighs Debacle

RichyRich

I would have been disgusted. Perhaps I'm not worldly enough to appreciate cats in restaurants but that really, seriously, bugs me. In a home, no not at all. But in a restaurants, there are laws prohibiting that. As there are laws prohibiting foodhandlers from smoking publicly, forget the smoking ban.

I wouldn't pay for such a blatant lack of service. Seriously, I'm shruddering at the idea of a cat in a restaurant. While that may be the standard in other nations, it's not here, and those laws exsist for a reason. Gross.

I love Pies n' Thighs, but I will agree that eating your food in the Rockstar Bar is less than ideal. It's really more of a warm months kind of place, when the "garden" is open. I remember asking co-owner Steve Steve in September what they were going to do when it got cold, and he kind of scratched his head and admitted they hadn't quite figured that out.

But I think their biscuits and gravy are worth the depressing aspects of eating in the bar, as are any of the baked goods. They have this molasses cookie that is just out-of-this world, and those doughnuts are too. But it's better at dinner when you can get the chicken and pulled pork than at brunch.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I think the OP was a bit mistaken about the special weekend menu, unless things have changed. What happens on the weekends at Pies 'n Thighs is that they serve an EXTREMELY late brunch. I don't think the dinner menu (which includes all the usual goodies) comes out until 4pm. Very annoying, but as I understand it, they sell out all their food at around 9 or 10 almost every night, so I think they're trying to give people a fair shake on the weekends, and make a little extra money off of the brunch.

Rockstar bar is a pretty nasty place, but as another poster mentioned, dining at P'nT is really all about the "prison yard" garden outside, in the warm months. I have been able to eat at the four stool bar right in the kitchen at times, but only when it wasn't crowded. I found the chicken, beans, and pulled pork to be absolutely incredible.

I really vote that you give this place another try when you can either eat outside or eat in the kitchen, or do take out (which if you're driving there, maybe you could?) Whatever is going on in the bar with the cigarettes and cats has very little to do with Pies 'n Thighs, which is basically an entirely seperate operation.

I can't understand that nobody agrees…

I can. I had posted once about a hot dog vendor. The kid in front of me on line was bouncing a basketball in the gutter filled with dirty, disgusting water and waste while the line inched forward (I was standing on the curb). When it was his turn, he reached into his pocket with the hand that had been bouncing the ball, and got money out and handed it to the vendor (who wasn't wearing gloves, not that that would have made a difference here) - then I saw that the vendor was about to reach with the same hands that touched the money to pick up what would've been the bun for my dog - no piece of paper, no fresh glove to keep the gutter ooze off my food. So I left without ordering. Nobody, not one of all the replying posters, agreed with me. One person said they wouldn't have cared if the vendor himself had reched into the gutter to pick up something he dropped and then handled my food with it.

Another one that bothered me but not anybody else: a very popular little restaurant I know where the owner and the small waitstaff make a point of shaking the hands of everybody who comes in off the street (even in cold and flu season). Then within seconds they turn and walk back to the pass and with those same hands, pick up plates of food and serve them. Nice warm plates with nutritious food, eager to help those germs multiply as quickly as they can. Again, only I cared, apparently.

I agree with you, though. I think your story is gross.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

This thread apparently is apparently entertaining enough to reach gawker.com.

http://gawker.com/news/williamsburg/restau...rant-234427.php

There's quite a few folks who cross-post at Gawker and on eGullet, but are we all sure that the original story, by one "Richy Rich", is the gospel truth and isn't bait of some sort or another?! :unsure::hmmm:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I am enjoying the conversation here on egullet but on egawker I am getting hammered for my shitty writing (yes I it was not well done, I just wanted to quickly converse) and many other things. If the people actually read the whole post they would see I have decided to try the place again. No I am no troll and have no purpose here on egullet but to converse....I also have no chicken franchise opening anywhere soon…

"I bid you peace, until we meet again"

~Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith