• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Wow, what a fun game! You guys are blowing me away. I thought I was a movie geek, but am out of my league. I've got to go digging around in my netflix now - sigh.

The tasty MF'r (Big Kahuna Burger) is from Pulp Fiction, and that is my favorite scene in the movie, that and the Royale with cheese, because they have the metric system in Europe.

Let's see - there is:

1. Lemonade, with lots and lots and lots of powdered sugar

2. Cocoa after the manicure

3. Breakfast that froze on the way over here from the damn restaurant

Three movies, one very exceptional leading lady for all three.

#3 is Coal Miner's Daughter?

IF #3 IS Coal Miner's Daughter, another clue would be "salty pie"...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I put this one up last night, and it's still live:

*Whoppers at Burger King in Paris. *

Pulp Fiction

Nope, sorry, WHT. There's a roundabout reference to Burger King and Paris in Pulp Fiction, but that isn't the movie I'm thinking about. This clue is straightforward.

*Whoppers at Burger King in Paris* is still in play.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I put this one up last night, and it's still live:

Pulp Fiction

Nope, sorry, WHT. There's a roundabout reference to Burger King and Paris in Pulp Fiction, but that isn't the movie I'm thinking about. This clue is straightforward.

*Whoppers at Burger King in Paris* is still in play.

How about: Accidental Tourist ??

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Wow, what a fun game! You guys are blowing me away. I thought I was a movie geek, but am out of my league. I've got to go digging around in my netflix now - sigh.

The tasty MF'r (Big Kahuna Burger) is from Pulp Fiction, and that is my favorite scene in the movie, that and the Royale with cheese, because they have the metric system in Europe.

Let's see - there is:

#3 is Coal Miner's Daughter?

Yes.

All three clues are for movies that feature the same actress, though Coal Miner's Daughter was a bit later than the other two.

Edited by annecros (log)

How about: Accidental Tourist ??

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner! Congrats, waterdogs. Macon and Muriel in The Accidental Tourist have a dinner date at Burger King in Paris, and they eat Whoppers. Macon to Muriel: "Careful, those aren't the Whoppers you're used to." All I can say is, Muriel must have really loved that guy. :laugh:

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Let's see - there is:

Is #1 Crimes of the Heart and #2 'Night Mother?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

And another (I think someone mentioned the movie earlier, but not sure if there was a reference to it):

"It's a baguette, with brie and butter. I had four of these damn things every day I was there."

The line was spoken by Jerry Horn to his brother, Ben Horn in Twin Peaks...I'm pretty sure. :rolleyes:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Let's see - there is:

hey Anne, I think you mean Sissy Spacek. the 'frozen breakfast' is from Coal Miner's Daughter, and I remember Babe making a pitcher of lemonade after she shoots Zachary in 'Crimes of the Heart, but no idea for number 2 :smile:

Let's see - there is:

hey Anne, I think you mean Sissy Spacek. the 'frozen breakfast' is from Coal Miner's Daughter, and I remember Babe making a pitcher of lemonade after she shoots Zachary in 'Crimes of the Heart, but no idea for number 2 :smile:

She made several pitchers of lemonade in Crimes of the Heart, and never could get it sweet enough!

Number 2 was released the same year. 'Night Mother with Anne Bancroft and an incredibly powerful performance by the two ladies.

Let's see - there is:

Is #1 Crimes of the Heart and #2 'Night Mother?

Wow, I missed this, and yes and yes.

You are good, petite tête de chou.

:biggrin:

Paul Newman is the Chiefs player/coach in Slap Shot where Dave Hanson (one of the loony Hanson bros)prefers a grape or an orange. Ice hockey gone mad. (I thank my son for this info :smile: ) .....one good reason to breed