• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

137. A last supper of veal and some almost-fatal oranges.

CLUE: Newspaper-wrapped fish.

I'm guessing this is "The Godfather".

And Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes.

You're a HAAARRRRD Master, Cap'n Toliver!!! THE CAINE MUTINY, for Heaven's sake!!! I Quantum Leap in places I should take baby steps.

Think of it, in the spirit of the game, as educating those who haven't yet seen the film.

Did you take the strawberries? :wink:

Yes, "The Caine Mutiny" is correct.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Since there hasn't been much activity today (except for racheld's excellent solution to #139), I will post a recap tomorrow morning.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Both Nicola Kountoupes and petite tête de chou have guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money"

Whoohoo! Well done!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

Additional CLUE for #128: the car in question is a grey 1968 Mercury Monterey for which "twenty-eight hundred" was paid

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Key Lime Pie and Non-fat Milk = Natural Born Killers?

Yes indeed. And such a psychedelic-green that slice of pie was.

Another?

An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

Additional CLUE for #128: the car in question is a grey 1968 Mercury Monterey for which "twenty-eight hundred" was paid

The Getaway?? as it can't be Knight Rider.... Ali McGraw hits another car with it at the drive-in??

The Getaway?? as it can't be Knight Rider.... Ali McGraw hits another car with it at the drive-in??

Oof ! I feel like the fisherman whose bait was stolen, but *yes*, it's the 1972 version of The Getaway, the film that brought McQueen and McGraw together. Another car ? Yes, or two... "Shit !" // "She made us... Punch it, baby"

As a kid I loved this one for the scene where (the Steve McQueen character) Doc finds the cops right on their tail and stops them chasing them by holding up a gun store for a large pump-action shotgun, then holding up the cops and destroying their car with it, blast by groundshaking blast - and for having Steve McQueen in it in the first place, of course.

Good work, Insomniac !

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

To keep the game going:

* A basket of figs

*Tea sandwich eaten in the plants,Roast chicken on Sundays(shelling fresh peas) and 6 enormous cakes sliced in wedges that could fill a dinner plate

*Additional clues to #103, Meat is meat:

Hard green peaches. In one scene a flat dried duck is stolen and tucked under a jacket only to fall out in front of the owner( not the original piece of meat in question ,but another stolen piece) moon cakes and red eggs.Probably one of my favorite books of all time, food descriptions are everywhere.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

*Tea sandwich eaten in the plants, Roast chicken on Sundays(shelling fresh peas) and 6 enormous cakes sliced in wedges that could fill a dinner plate

Pollyanna (1960)?

Is #103 The Good Earth?

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

*Tea sandwich eaten in the plants, Roast chicken on Sundays(shelling fresh peas) and 6 enormous cakes sliced in wedges that could fill a dinner plate

Pollyanna (1960)?

Is #103 The Good Earth?

Very good! I thought the moon cakes might finally give it away

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

A mid-week morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-racheld had the spare key and solved #139 (A gallon of frozen strawberries) as the film "The Caine Mutiny".

-Toliver solved #137 (A last supper of veal and some almost-fatal oranges. CLUE: Newspaper-wrapped fish) as the film "The Godfather".

-Both Nicola Kountoupes and petite tête de chou have correctly guessed that #110 ("Is it just me, or is this food really small?"...see a past recap for the entire clue) is the film "Friends with Money".

-waterdogs solved the movie puzzle "key lime pie and a glass of non-fat milk" as the film "Natural Born Killers".

-insomniac solved #128 (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker): Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not? CLUE: the car in question is a grey 1968 Mercury Monterey for which "twenty-eight hundred" was paid) as the film "The Getaway".

-petite tête de chou solved #103 (A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat" CLUE: Hard green peaches. In one scene a flat dried duck is stolen and tucked under a jacket only to fall out in front of the owner( not the original piece of meat in question ,but another stolen piece) moon cakes and red eggs.Probably one of my favorite books of all time, food descriptions are everywhere) as the film "The Good Earth".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-petite tête de chou also guessed that #143 is "Pollyanna"

I will post her results in the next recap if she got it right.

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

CLUE: Seafood, a shrimp boat, a fancy dinner party with a cliffhanger for after-dinner entertainment.

140. A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

142. A basket of figs

143. Tea sandwich eaten in the plants, Roast chicken on Sundays(shelling fresh peas) and 6 enormous cakes sliced in wedges that could fill a dinner plate

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

if the basket of figs had a snake hidden inside the movie is Cleopatra

We have a winna here!

Here's one:

* Customer ordering at a restaurant: "Raw carrots and beets." Waiter: "This is a restaurant, not a meadow." *

Another one:

* "What kind of eggs did she like?" "Poached, just like me." *

And another one:

* A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too. *

Still one more:

* "l've been everywhere and done everything. l've eaten caviar at Cannes, sausage rolls at the dogs...What is there left for me but marriage?" *

Another one:

* Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?"

The last one:

* Beef and cheese pot pie on a stick *

Here's one:

* Customer ordering at a restaurant: "Raw carrots and beets." Waiter: "This is a restaurant, not a meadow." *

Another one:

* "What kind of eggs did she like?" "Poached, just like me." *

And another one:

* A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too. *

Still one more:

* "l've been everywhere and done everything. l've eaten caviar at Cannes, sausage rolls at the dogs...What is there left for me but marriage?" *

Another one:

* Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?"

The last one:

* Beef and cheese pot pie on a stick *

"What kind of eggs did she like......"

Runaway Bride

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

War of the Worlds remake with Tom Cruise?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

"What kind of eggs did she like......"

Runaway Bride

Yes. Congrats, oneidaone. :smile: "What kind of eggs did she like?" "Poached, just like me." from Runaway Bride starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.

Did anyone besides me wonder how Maggie Carpenter (Julia Roberts) bought all those swanky wedding gowns on her salary as a clerk at a hardware store? :hmmm: