• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Guesses to:

81. Waiter, there's a turd in my soup

Heart Beat

82. Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup

The Silent Movie by Mel Brooks

or The Seven Deadly Sins

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

102. Black coffee and a sidecar = light breakfast for Auntie Mame. Great movie!

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

99. I think this one is "Some Like It Hot". Little Bonaparte has Spats taken out.

Guesses to:

81. Waiter, there's a turd in my soup

Heart Beat

82. Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup

The Silent Movie by Mel Brooks

or The Seven Deadly Sins

Now what are you doing watching a movie like Heatbeat Doddie?? hehehe correct

and 82 is the Silent Movie, more suitable family viewing!!

Another film for folks guessing pleasure..

Fruit drop candy (the brand name would reveal the movie too easily). When the candy was gone the tin was filled with water, shook, poured into a cup and drank.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Fruit drop candy (the brand name would reveal the movie too easily). When the candy was gone the tin was filled with water, shook, poured into a cup and drank.

Is it Grave of the Fireflies?...probably not......... this is a Japanese anime movie about 2 children in WW2 Japan and in one scene they eat fruit drops then fill the can with water and drink it...I do recommend the movie, for what it's worth....

Sorry, the movie isn't Gosford Park, nor is it set in the Edwardian period.

Another clue. Following the mixup over the the dinner invitation, they all decide to go out to a nearby restaurant. They almost don't stay when it turns out that the restaurant is under new management. The staff prevails upon them to stay, and one member of the dinner party reads off all the fish dishes available, and they start discussing them. Then a waitress is seen quietly sobbing and a waiter walks by carrying lit tapers. It seems the old management just died unexpectedly that afternoon and is laid out in another part of the dining room until the undertaker comes to collect the remains. They leave without having eaten, again.

A new movie - Ham and grits just before leaving to go to a bar-b-que.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

102. Black coffee and a sidecar = light breakfast for Auntie Mame. Great movie!

Correct again!

Other memorable quotes from the film:

On making a martini - "Stir...never shake. It bruises the gin." ~ Patrick Dennis

"There's NO SUGAR in a CLAUDE UPSON daiquiri!" (the secret ingredient is honey)

And later in the film, Vera says "I've just been to the most awful party where they served nothing but daiquiris made with honey."

Mrs. Upson serves Auntie Mame her special hors d'oeuvres made with tuna, peanut butter, and clam juice. :blink:

And, of course:

"Life is a banquet, and most poor sons of bitches are starving to death!"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Our week ending mid-day recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

A new (huge) clue has been added to #61 & a new clue has been added to #79.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-caroled correctly solved #73 ("Can someone hand me my Evian" CLUE: They're outside. It's daylight. There are two kids, and two adults) as the film "The Parent Trap".

-Racheld has correctly guessed that #78 (eyebowl soup served in a metal bowl CLUE: This is an old movie. It is actually a remake of an older movie and is the inspiration for the tv show "I Dreamed of Jeannie") is the film "The Brass Bottle".

-waterdogs has correctly guessed that #102 ("...tell him to bring me a light breakfast -- black coffee and a sidecar") is the film "Auntie Mame".

-Domestic Goddess has correctly guessed that #81 ("Waiter, there's a turd in my soup") is the film "Heart Beat" and also solved #82 ("Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup") as the film "Silent Movie".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-waterdogs has guessed that #99 is "Some Like It Hot".

-insomniac has guessed that #103 is "Grave of the Fireflies".

We also know:

#61 is not "Gosford Park".

#66 is not "Hairspray".

STILL UNSOLVED:

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: There's a long, long trail a-winding Into the land of my dreams

CLUE: If it's any consolation, the characters in the movie also miss most of the food for a variety of reasons beginning with a misunderstanding about which night the guests have been invited for dinner.

CLUE: Following the mixup over the the dinner invitation, they all decide to go out to a nearby restaurant. They almost don't stay when it turns out that the restaurant is under new management. The staff prevails upon them to stay, and one member of the dinner party reads off all the fish dishes available, and they start discussing them. Then a waitress is seen quietly sobbing and a waiter walks by carrying lit tapers. It seems the old management just died unexpectedly that afternoon and is laid out in another part of the dining room until the undertaker comes to collect the remains. They leave without having eaten, again.

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

CLUE: This scene follows a very bloody scene where our heroes have slain a white-frocked creature of the night.

93. An orange Big Gulp, a big Cadillac, and big hair

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

96. "I've got this great honey somewhere. You know about honey? There used to be these little animals who made it with antenna...and these other animals who ate it...one were bees the other were bears...I forget which ate it and which made it but..."

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

99. " I always get the sticky end of the lollipop." same movie, the birthday boy is shot by men with machine guns bursting out of a cake. Pretty easy I think!

100. a bottle of white and a bottle of red, a dinner that nobody ate, a huge roast.

101. Cocoa meetings

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

104. Fruit drop candy (the brand name would reveal the movie too easily). When the candy was gone the tin was filled with water, shook, poured into a cup and drank.

105. Ham and grits just before leaving to go to a bar-b-que.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Is it Grave of the Fireflies?...probably not......... this is a Japanese anime movie about 2 children in WW2 Japan and in one scene they eat fruit drops then fill the can with water and drink it...I do recommend the movie, for what it's worth....

You got it. There's actually a tin of fruit drops available with the little girls picture on it. Considering her fate I don't think that I'll be buying the candy anytime soon. :unsure:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Here's the evening recap as we head out for the weekend:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

A new clue has been added to #96.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-insomniac for solving #104 (Fruit drop candy (the brand name would reveal the movie too easily). When the candy was gone the tin was filled with water, shook, poured into a cup and drank) as the film "Grave of the Fireflies".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-waterdogs has guessed that #99 is "Some Like It Hot".

We also know:

#61 is not "Gosford Park".

#66 is not "Hairspray".

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: There's a long, long trail a-winding Into the land of my dreams

CLUE: If it's any consolation, the characters in the movie also miss most of the food for a variety of reasons beginning with a misunderstanding about which night the guests have been invited for dinner.

CLUE: Following the mixup over the the dinner invitation, they all decide to go out to a nearby restaurant. They almost don't stay when it turns out that the restaurant is under new management. The staff prevails upon them to stay, and one member of the dinner party reads off all the fish dishes available, and they start discussing them. Then a waitress is seen quietly sobbing and a waiter walks by carrying lit tapers. It seems the old management just died unexpectedly that afternoon and is laid out in another part of the dining room until the undertaker comes to collect the remains. They leave without having eaten, again.

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

CLUE: This scene follows a very bloody scene where our heroes have slain a white-frocked creature of the night.

93. An orange Big Gulp, a big Cadillac, and big hair

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

96. "I've got this great honey somewhere. You know about honey? There used to be these little animals who made it with antenna...and these other animals who ate it...one were bees the other were bears...I forget which ate it and which made it but..."

CLUE: The hero eats thai food while in his apartment and when he's finished, the "floating" thai restaurant that prepared the food flies away.

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

99. " I always get the sticky end of the lollipop." same movie, the birthday boy is shot by men with machine guns bursting out of a cake. Pretty easy I think!

100. a bottle of white and a bottle of red, a dinner that nobody ate, a huge roast.

101. Cocoa meetings

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

105. Ham and grits just before leaving to go to a bar-b-que.

106. "Did you do something different?"

"I added peas."

"Ah, peas."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

More clues:

CLUE2: Said hero tells 2 distraught couple that their friend had been driven with a stake in her heart and head chopped off.

#79 Bram Stoker's Dracula ( scene wtih Anthony Hopkins, Winona Ryder, an Keanu Reeves)

#105 Gone With the Wind (Mammy tells Scarlet that men don't marry women who eat like field hands )

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

It's the poisoned milk (#61) that's throwing me here.  I know I've seen this too.  Crap!

Argh. Even the clues are hard. One "famous" poisoned (or is it???) milk is in Suspicion (remember how it sort of glows when Cary Grant takes it upstairs?) I have not seen that movie in a long time but none of the other clues fit, do they? Only the darn milk!! :wacko:

CLUE: The hero eats thai food while in his apartment and when he's finished, the "floating" thai restaurant that prepared the food flies away.

The Fifth Element?

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

93. Big Hair, Big Gulp, Big Caddy. He's all action...

Undercover Brother. Don't forget the mayonnaise! Another movie with a surprisingly good cast.

Number 61: I am going to disqualify myself, but I am pretty sure I know what this one is. Inadvertantly, I stumbled across a comment on another website that mentioned this movie and the lightbulb went on. But only thanks to the latest clues. The menu items completely escaped me.

It felt sort of like Googling, so....

Instead, here is another (surreal-ish) movie question:

Quails, fish pate, potato soup.

#79 Bram Stoker's Dracula ( scene wtih Anthony Hopkins, Winona Ryder, an Keanu Reeves)

Thank God somebody finally got it! You're right Caroled!

Here's a new movie...

actress: And I take the sardines. No, I leave the sardines. No, I take the sardines.

director: You leave the sardines and you hang up the phone.

actress: Yes, right. I hang up the phone.

director: And you leave the sardines.

actress: I leave the sardines?

director: You leave the sardines.

actress: I hang up the phone and I leave the sardines?

director: Right!

actress: We've changed that, have we, dear?

director: No, dear...

#105 Gone With the Wind (Mammy tells Scarlet that men don't marry women who eat like field hands )

Congtatulations Caroled. 105 is Gone With The Wind. Although how Scarlett can expect to eat anything beats me in view of how tightly she's got her corset laced.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

93. Big Hair, Big Gulp, Big Caddy. He's all action...

Undercover Brother. Don't forget the mayonnaise! Another movie with a surprisingly good cast.

Excellent! You are correct, waterdogs.

I tried to be a bit misleading by saying 'big hair,' a subsequent hint would have been to change 'big hair' to 'big afro.' Mayonnaise is good; I also liked The General's Fried Chicken.