• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

31. Dialogue while selecting a sandwich:

"What's that? Chicken?"

"Something like that. Tastes the same, anyway."

Here's an additional (and very large) clue: in another scene, there's mixed fruit, cheese, fish, corn, peas, and carrots — we assume that each is in some sort of liquid form.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think No. 32 'best damn barbeque in the state of Alabama' is Fried Green Tomatoes and the beecharmer is Idgie Threadgoode but as I'm a bit late maybe someone has answered already??

Yes, caroled answered that yesterday. You gotta be quick in this league...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think No. 32 'best damn barbeque in the state of Alabama' is Fried Green Tomatoes and the beecharmer is Idgie Threadgoode but as I'm a bit late maybe someone has answered already??

Yes, caroled answered that yesterday. You gotta be quick in this league...

:smile::smile:

"What's that? Chicken?"

Here's an additional (and very large) clue: in another scene, there's mixed fruit, cheese, fish, corn, peas, and carrots — we assume that each is in some sort of liquid form.

Apollo 13?

Here's some more:

"It was...the salmon mousse!"

"Leftovers... of leftovers!"

Speaking of Jack Lemmon, how about:

Brandy Alexanders

Days of Wine and Roses (Figure someone whose eGullet name is Alex would get this one, eh?)

Edited by Alex (log)

"What's that? Chicken?"

Apollo 13?

Nope, but you're on the right track.

"What's that? Chicken?"

Apollo 13?

Space Odyssey?

Edited to say that the salmon mousse quote is from Monty Python.....The Meaning of Life

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

OK, I'll take a stab (so to speak), as it's been a while since I've seen those wonderful Alec Guiness films from the 50s. Could this be from the original "The Ladykillers?"

Hi, Alex. Sorry, but... no. (Wrong decade).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

"What's that? Chicken?"

Apollo 13?

Space Odyssey?

Yep -- 2001: A Space Odyssey. Good catch, Rachel! When the movie was first released, I watched it -- in its longer, original cut, which included an intermission -- six times in two days. Can you tell I wanted to be an astronaut? (I still do.)

"What's that? Chicken?"

Apollo 13?

Space Odyssey?

Yep -- 2001: A Space Odyssey. Good catch, Rachel! When the movie was first released, I watched it -- in its longer, original cut, which included an intermission -- six times in two days. Can you tell I wanted to be an astronaut? (I still do.)

nerdy trivia but interesting

The first time solid food was eaten in space was on Gemini 3. Astronaut John Young carried two meal packages to sample on his 5-hour mission. While in orbit, Young surprised fellow astronaut Virgil Grissom when he presented him with a corned beef sandwich on rye, which had been purchased at a Cocoa Beach, Fla., delicatessen. Grissom did not finish the sandwich, however, because it was producing crumbs.

hehehe, wot, no women to vacuum??

:biggrin: Aloha no! This is like the most fun thread ever - for me anyway! You

all are such great players! I just got back from a meal that hit notches unknown

at Roy's in Hawaii Kai, the "flagship" of the empire. I am overfed, overwatered

and thinking.....

"....have you ever tried it - it's real crazy!" Potato chips dipped in champagne (sp!)"

it's late for you all, 'early' for us HST after a 3 1/2 hour meal see you all

in the AM - a hui hou :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Standing in for Toliver with DEEP respect as I think I need ah Leung with his Boolian logic to figure this all out!!

WELL DONE: Alex for figuring out No. 5 was indeed 'Miss Firecracker'

Rachellindsy for solving No. 15. 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers'

and No. 31, '2001, a space Odyssey'

azureus for solving No. 22. 'The Green Mile'

me for figuring out that No. 26 was 'Because of Winn Dixie'

and No. 30 was 'the Apartment'

*** NEW AND INSTANTLY SOLVED***

Scottie's clue brandy alexanders was solved by Alex 'The Days of Wine and Roses'

Oneidaone's clue cheetoes, fish sticks, orange soda and pancakes solved by Blether who knew it was 'Rainman

Oneidaone's clue salmon mousse solved by Rachelllindsay

Oneidaone's clue 'It's an East Indian classic my dear, chicken, rice and chocolate sause solved by me who thought it was 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'

PENDING CONFIRMATION:

Varmint has guessed No. 18 is Caddyshack

Waterdogs has guessed the Santa Clause for No. 21

Alex has guessed No. 24 is 'Airplane'

Waterdogs has guessed No. 25 is'Young Frankenstein'

AS YET UNSOLVED:

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings". **NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

18. "I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake..."

20. Melting ice cream.

23. How about a pickle used in an unmentionable way in a sort of, er, rites of passage?

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

27. One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner

28. Kitchen cupboard filled with jars of homemade applesauce

29. "Where are my marrons glacés?"

NEW ADDITIONS:

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

34. Leftovers....of leftovers

35. Potoato chips dipped in champagne 'It's real crazy'

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

ps. I apologise in advance for the errors and omissions in this post :smile::smile:

Edited by insomniac (log)

26. Candy that tastes like melancholy

I vowed I would not return to this thread, but had to peek.

This is from Jacques Rivette's Julie and Céline Go Boating in which the heroines find themselves ejected from a mysterious house with a piece of hard candy in their mouths. They cannot recall what happened there, but the candy provides a kind of emotional residue of the experience--and ultimately an aid to solving the mystery. N'est-ce pas?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

26. Candy that tastes like melancholy

I vowed I would not return to this thread, but had to peek.

This is from Jacques Rivette's Julie and Céline Go Boating in which the heroines find themselves ejected from a mysterious house with a piece of hard candy in their mouths. They cannot recall what happened there, but the candy provides a kind of emotional residue of the experience--and ultimately an aid to solving the mystery. N'est-ce pas?

hehe Pontormo, it says it all that you nominate a French film with a Proustian madeleine/candy allusion and all I can come up with is a kid's story about an ugly, homeless dog..............note to self, must get out more :smile:

Candy that tastes like melancholy

This is from Jacques Rivette's Julie and Céline Go Boating in which the heroines find themselves ejected from a mysterious house with a piece of hard candy in their mouths.  They cannot recall what happened there, but the candy provides a kind of emotional residue of the experience--and ultimately an aid to solving the mystery.  N'est-ce pas?

I posted the "Candy that tastes like melancholy" clue. It's a verbatim line from Because of Winn-Dixie, which insomniac guessed. But the memory associations that people made with that line are fascinating. :smile:

No action on #s 27, 28, and 29, so here are more clues.

OLD CLUE: 27. One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner. NEW CLUE: A signature yell.

OLD CLUE: 28. Kitchen cupboard filled with jars of homemade applesauce. NEW CLUE: "Buy one, get 5 free."

OLD CLUE: 29. "Where are my marrons glacés?" NEW CLUE: The star reputedly said, "I vant to be alone."

:biggrin: Aloha no! This is like the most fun thread ever - for me anyway! You

all are such great players! I just got back from a meal that hit notches unknown

at Roy's in Hawaii Kai, the "flagship" of the empire. I am overfed, overwatered

and thinking.....

"....have you ever tried it - it's real crazy!" Potato chips dipped in champagne (sp!)"

it's late for you all, 'early' for us HST after a 3 1/2 hour meal see you all

in the AM - a hui hou :wink:

sorry I missed the clue.....I thought at first you were describing a late night personal experience :biggrin:

Edited by insomniac (log)

OLD CLUE: 29. "Where are my marrons glacés?" NEW CLUE: The star reputedly said, "I vant to be alone."

I have in my mind's eye a picture of a cartoon I saw some years ago. The lady in question is caricatured standing with a turf of grass balanced on top of her head. The caption: "I want to be a lawn".

Consequently I know who the star is, and I did put myself through a short season of watching her movies, but that was over ten years ago. I don't remember the line, but I'll take a stab in the dark and say "Grand Hotel".

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.