• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

A new movie:

"Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

Another movie:

Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For the weekend. Here's one:

* Candy that tastes like melancholy.*

Here's another:

* One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner.*

Still another:

* Kitchen cupboard filled with jars of homemade applesauce.*

One more:

* "Where are my marrons glacés?"*

Last but not least:

* Spaghetti and a tennis racket.*

And another new one:

Dialogue while selecting a sandwich:

"What's that? Chicken?"

"Something like that. Tastes the same, anyway."

Another clue tomorrow...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Another movie:

"Best damn barbecue in the state of Alabama" & fresh honey

Tim Oliver

Since we've received a lot of new movie foods, I thought I would throw them into a quick recap:

HATS OFF & CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Varmint for guessing that #19 (A buttercup tea cup) was "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Varmint has guessed that #18 is "Caddyshack"

-Alex has guessed that #5 is "Miss Firecracker"

A. CONTINUING TO TAUNT US WITH THEIR UNSOLVABILITY:

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another

CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

CLUE: There are 4 primary characters, 1 female lead, 2 female supporting, and 1 male supporting. The movie was released in 1989 and all 4 actors have won Academy Awards for other works.(one best actress and the other 3 for best supporting)...apologies, one of the 3 supporting roles was a nomination and not an actual award.

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

15. Stew, no ketchup.

CLUE: The film in question is a good bit older than the Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder Superman. It's probably closer in vintage to George Reeves' Superman TV show. The clue as it stands might be a little obscure.

CLUE: This stew can stand on its own feet

18. "I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake..."

20. Melting ice cream.

21. Soy milk and burnt turkey.

22. Cornbread

As in:

"My wife made it to thank you."

"For what, boss?"

[points to his groin] "You know."

"Oh, was she pleased?"

"Yeah. Several times."

"It was mighty fine cornbread, I think."

23. How about a pickle used in an unmentionable way in a sort of, er, rites of passage?

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

26. Candy that tastes like melancholy

27. One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner

28. Kitchen cupboard filled with jars of homemade applesauce

29. "Where are my marrons glacés?"

30. Spaghetti and a tennis racket

31. Dialogue while selecting a sandwich:

"What's that? Chicken?"

"Something like that. Tastes the same, anyway."

32. "Best damn barbecue in the state of Alabama" & fresh honey

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Here's another also:

"Turn me over I am done on this side."

this one is easy:

cheetoes, fish sticks, orange soda & pancakes

last:

"it's an East Indian Classic my dear, chicken, rice and chocolate sauce."

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The powers that be can finally take down clue #5 it has been solved

Let's all give ALEX a hearty round of applause and a slap on the back for solving the seemingly unsolvable. Yes it is "Miss Firecracker".One of my favorite Holly Hunter movies.I was begining to think that I was the only one who saw it.

my guess for #32 is "Fried Green Tomatoes" (written by Fannie Flagg as Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Cafe".)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

22. Cornbread

As in:

"For what, boss?"

"Oh, was she pleased?"

"Yeah. Several times."

This must be "The Green Mile".

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Number 21 is "The Santa Clause". And don't forget "Keylime disease" which still makes me laugh (even though I know it is no laughing matter).

Number 6 is driving me nuts: I can almost hear someone saying the lines. I know it is not Jimmy Stewart in It's A Wonderful Life (but I could hear him doing it). How about Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion? I did not see the movie but I know he wrote it and he has a bit like that he did on the radio show as a prisoner's last meal...Did they make a movie of "Crime of the Century" -- those guys ordered everything they could think of right after the guilty verdict just in case they were getting their last good meals.

Here is an easy foodie one:

undercooked foie de gras

lobsters in a tank

pasta

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

and I think No. 30 is The Apartment. Jack Lemmon strains his spaghetti through a tennis racquet. (Great movie,sad indictment of corporate ladderclimbing and throat cutting, quite prescient....some great lines....that's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise......

22. Cornbread

As in:

"For what, boss?"

"Oh, was she pleased?"

"Yeah. Several times."

This must be "The Green Mile".

April

Yes!

:biggrin:

Here's another also:

"Turn me over I am done on this side."

this one is easy:

last:

"it's an East Indian Classic my dear, chicken, rice and chocolate sauce."

I think the last one is Holly Golightly (Lula Mae) in Breakfast at Tiffany's

I hope you like chicken and saffron rice served with a chocolate sauce........

(three months ago I couldn't scramble eggs) right towards the end of the movie.

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Could it be..."Airplane!"?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

this one is easy:

Ooh ! Ooh ! My favourite kind :smile:

I thought it was cheese balls, but: Rain Man

Fish sticks - "You want eight ?" (chop !) "there's eight"

Maple syrup on the table before the pancakes come, and

multiple cheese balls and orange soda mentions

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Number 6 is driving me nuts

Another clue, then. It's not said in an American accent.

Groan..now the clues will drive me nuts.

Ok. Nr 25: I think is Young Frankenstein. I know the quote is from that movie. And the yummy sound dessert. Not so sure about the soup?

this one is easy:

Ooh ! Ooh ! My favourite kind :smile:

I thought it was cheese balls, but: Rain Man

Fish sticks - "You want eight ?" (chop !) "there's eight"

Maple syrup on the table before the pancakes come, and

multiple cheese balls and orange soda mentions

You're right! I got confused thinking about how i wish I had some cheetoes

myself! Yes, it's Rain Man! Great job! A hui hou :smile:

and I think No. 30 is The Apartment. Jack Lemmon strains his spaghetti through a tennis racquet. (Great movie,sad indictment of corporate ladderclimbing and throat cutting, quite prescient....some great lines....that's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise......

I am slapping myself as I should have guessed this! You're right, it is

the Apartment. Great movie, Jack Lemmon and Shirley McLaine were

such a great team! That spaghetti scene was brilliant!

oneidaone you're right!!! it's amazing what's lurking at the back of your brain, refusing to budge.....I've missed some that are my favourite movies :huh:

Number 6 is driving me nuts

Another clue, then. It's not said in an American accent.

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

OK, I'll take a stab (so to speak), as it's been a while since I've seen those wonderful Alec Guiness films from the 50s. Could this be from the original "The Ladykillers?"

26. Candy that tastes like melancholy

I'm just going to take a stab at this one, but not sure it's right...is it Chocolate? I think there was a scene in that one at a dinner party where everyone was experiencing a range of emotions with each chocolate course - included one where they were all sad. Kind of a wild guess there! And, maybe that's already been guessed??

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

That IS a great movie. And, a little off movie topic, does anyone else remember the Muppet Swedish Chef (bork bork bork) who "served" his Swedish meatballs with a tennis racquet? And whose spaghetti strangled him?

Ding-ding!

Yes. #26. "Candy that tastes like melancholy" from Because of Winn-Dixie. Not the kind of film I normally view, but I'm a big fan of Cicely Tyson's acting. Wish I could see her in more films. The book on which the movie is (too loosely) based is a real charmer.

Yes. #30. "Spaghetti and a tennis racket" from The Apartment, another classic from Billy Wilder. Remember how Jack Lemmon is singing as he strains the spaghetti thru the tennis racket? Was it La Cucharacha?

Congrats, insomniac. :smile: