• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

No. 15, stew, no ketchup........

this is a real long shot but Clark Kent's favourite meal was boeuf bourgignon with ketchup and Lois cooked it for him and it was a code word between them if there was any trouble, so is stew, no ketchup a signal from Lois to Clark that she was in trouble?? i.e. one of the Superman movies??

ps I think it was also shorthand for the fact that they had actually had s*e*x (well, in the comics anyway :smile:

You guys are good.

Here's another easy one while we're waiting:

"Two soft-shell crab dinners, one baked, one fries"

Is it ; "As Good As It Gets" ?

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

this is a real long shot but Clark Kent's favourite meal was boeuf bourgignon with ketchup and Lois cooked it for him and it was a code word between them if there was any trouble, so is stew, no ketchup a signal from Lois to Clark that she was in trouble?? i.e. one of the Superman movies??

ps I think it was also shorthand for the fact that they had actually had s*e*x (well, in the comics anyway :smile:

Nope, but I'm loving the nerdiness of this guess!!

The film in question is a good bit older than the Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder Superman. It's probably closer in vintage to George Reeves' Superman TV show. The clue as it stands might be a little obscure. I'll give another clue if there's no move by the end of the (European) workday.

Si

You guys are good.

Maybe if it was "hard shell" crab dinners with a pitcher of beer.

You'd think that as many times as he goes on and on to her about the crabs, I'd have gotten it right :wacko:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

#5, besides the afore mentioned clues, there are 4 primary characters, 1 female lead, 2 female supporting, and 1 male supporting. The movie was released in 1989 and all 4 actors have won Academy Awards for other works.(one best actress and the other 3 for best supporting)

New item ;

" Salt, pepper, granulted garlic....mayonnaise,...of course,"

" Of course,now for the important question,'Do you have a position on pickles?' "

"Oh it's more of a deeply held belief actually"

"Oh really, a pickle conviction , um.... go ahead"

"When it comes to tuna fish, I am emphatically anti-pickle"

Nope, but I'm loving the nerdiness of this guess!!

The film in question is a good bit older than the Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder Superman. It's probably closer in vintage to George Reeves' Superman TV show. The clue as it stands might be a little obscure. I'll give another clue if there's no move by the end of the (European) workday.

Si

Ha Simon,

like my kids often telling me, 'mum, you're SUCH a nerd'

You guys are good.

Err... that was my intention, anyway, so yes, well done ! "They made me go out and buy a jacket and tie, and they let you in in a housedress". Ouch.

GordonCooks - did I get it wrong ? I did, didn't I ? Russin-frussin Dick Dastardly.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Runaway Bride?

...there's a trivia bonus for behind the scenes of the film ("How'd they do that?") involving Jello

I think I finally got one...

The Ten Commandments. They used Jello to part the red sea.

So here's another...

"And two fried eggs, two poached eggs, two scrambled eggs, and two medium-boiled eggs."

"And two hard-boiled eggs."

#5, besides the afore mentioned clues, there are 4 primary characters, 1 female lead, 2 female supporting, and 1 male supporting. The movie was released in 1989 and all 4 actors have  won Academy Awards for other works.(one best actress and the other 3 for best supporting)

New item ;

"  Of course,now for the important question,'Do you have a position on pickles?' "

Truth about CAts & Dogs?

#5 Crimes of the Heart?

how about...

quote]

You are so close :wink: right author, setting, but not quite there.

#5, besides the afore mentioned clues, there are 4 primary characters, 1 female lead, 2 female supporting, and 1 male supporting. The movie was released in 1989 and all 4 actors have  won Academy Awards for other works.(one best actress and the other 3 for best supporting)

New item ;

"  Of course,now for the important question,'Do you have a position on pickles?' "

Truth about CAts & Dogs?

Yea!!!

I had seen this movie before, but couldn't remember the exact quote. But as luck would have it, it was on HBO this morning when I got home from work. I got it straight from the horses mouth. :raz:

New item ;

My apologies, one of the 3 supporting roles was a nomination and not an actual award. Hope the clue didnt throw you off. Mea culpa

17. Another easy one: People.

"Soylent Green is people!"

I was debating whether to start out with the other food in the film or just go for the punchline.

Well done, I_call_the_duck!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Love (of the game) in the Afternoon recap:

Hats off and congratulations to:

-I_call_the_duck for solving #17 (people) which was "Soylent Green".

-dockhl for correctly guessing #10 ("I love it when it's hamburger day.") as "Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion".

-caroled for solving "Two soft-shell crab dinners, one baked, one fries" as "As Good As It Gets" and for solving:

" Of course,now for the important question,'Do you have a position on pickles?' "

as "The Truth About Cats & Dogs", both of which didn't make it into the last recap and was solved before this one.

A. CONTINUING TO TAUNT US WITH THEIR UNSOLVABILITY:

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another

CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

CLUE: There are 4 primary characters, 1 female lead, 2 female supporting, and 1 male supporting. The movie was released in 1989 and all 4 actors have won Academy Awards for other works.(one best actress and the other 3 for best supporting)...apologies, one of the 3 supporting roles was a nomination and not an actual award.

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

15. Stew, no ketchup.

CLUE: The film in question is a good bit older than the Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder Superman. It's probably closer in vintage to George Reeves' Superman TV show. The clue as it stands might be a little obscure.

CLUE: This stew can stand on its own feet

18. "I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake..."

19. A buttercup tea cup

20. Melting ice cream

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

You guys are good.

Err... that was my intention, anyway, so yes, well done ! "They made me go out and buy a jacket and tie, and they let you in in a housedress". Ouch.

GordonCooks - did I get it wrong ? I did, didn't I ? Russin-frussin Dick Dastardly.

No problem :biggrin: The movie is one of my faves...it's the only time I've ever heard the expression "noodle salad"

19. A buttercup tea cup

Would that be Willie Wonka?

Correct! Other clues would have been (lickable) wallpaper and Fizzy Lifting Soda. :laugh:

edited to add a new movie:

soy milk and burnt turkey.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Another one from a favorite movie I watched yesterday:

Cornbread

As in:

My wife made it to thank you.

For what, boss?

[points to his groin] You know.

Oh, was she pleased?

Yeah. Several times.

It was mighty fine cornbread, I think.

Edited by annecros (log)

Another one from a favorite movie I watched yesterday:

Cornbread

As in:

My wife made it to thank you.

For what, boss?

[points to his groin] You know.

Oh, was she pleased?

Yeah. Several times.

It was mighty fine cornbread, I think.

I was going to post this very clue (but not the dialogue) to see if anyone would get it.

I'll let someone else step forward on this one. :laugh:

Tim Oliver

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another

CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

CLUE: There are 4 primary characters, 1 female lead, 2 female supporting, and 1 male supporting. The movie was released in 1989 and all 4 actors have won Academy Awards for other works.(one best actress and the other 3 for best supporting)...apologies, one of the 3 supporting roles was a nomination and not an actual award.

Ooh, ooh. Is it Miss Firecracker? (Lead = Holly Hunter, female supporting = Alfre Woodard and Mary Steenburgen, male supporting = Tim Robbins.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer