• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Good morning, Gamers!

Here's a recap of the movies still in play. The list may change a bit once I hear back on whether a previous guess was correct or not.

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

3. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal?? CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

4. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

5. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

6. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

7. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. ) CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

8. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

9. Some exploding rotten cans of chicken mash. And this:

"Here is a lovely, a lovely [turkey] wing, for you...And some dumplings...And some giblets...some wine...have some beets...

-I hate beets!

...You salt your beets and I'll salt mine."

10. Stuffed sheep's head and souffle.

11. Two people at eating dinner when a third one arrives and says "Is anyone eating this?" and takes the man's plate.

12. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

13. "red hots.. get your red hots"

-----------------------------------------------------

Note that the guesses for #7 were incorrect so it's still in play. I added another clue to that movie offered by the original poster.

***NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Good morning Toliver, just checking if No.10 is Octopussy.

Would like to add to the clues for No. 3. the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird :smile:

ps think No. 9 is Hello Dolly? (dumplings light as air)

Edited by insomniac (log)

Good morning Toliver, just checking if No.10 is Octopussy.

Would like to add to the clues for No. 3. the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird :smile:

Clue for #3 sounds like David Lynch, But for the life of me I couldn't even begin to guess which movie it would be. For the most part, they were all pretty weird :blink:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

"When a girl's incidentals

are no bigger than two lentils..."

Funny Girl ?

Yes!  :laugh: What a great memory! It's from the song "If a Girl isn't Pretty".

The food seduction scene was during the song "You are Woman (I am Man)".

"Isn't this the height of nonchalance furnishing a bed in restaurants

A little bit of dinner never hurt - but guess who is gonna be dessert . . ."

"How many girls become a sinner while waiting for a roast beef dinner

While most girls slip in ordinary ways I've got style I do it Bordelaise

Well, at least he thinks I'm special - he ordered a la carte . . ."

Ah, you've gotta love Babs and Omar!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

OK, not a movie, but who said he couldn't serve a Waldorf salad to a diner because 'the waldorfs are a bit off'?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Author of #7 also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread.

#8, much older novel that has been released as movies in 1933, 1949 and a more recent version in1994. ( also a tv version) Of the motion picture releases, each one contained at least one character who was portrayed be an Academy Award nominee( not neccessarily for that picture, butat least once in their career)

#11 dah du, dah du, dahdudahdudahdu( with cellos) throughout the film many other things were eaten, but that would be giving it away :raz:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

The answer for 8 is "The Odd Couple". Use your coaster.

Si

Right!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

#11 dah du, dah du, dahdudahdudahdu( with cellos) throughout the film many other things were eaten, but that would be giving it away :raz:

Dang ! Out-posted *again* on the Basil Fawlty, but as for #11, I think you've already given it away - The Pink Panther. It does sound like Clusoe.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#8: one movie remade 3 times, starting with 1933 version. Have the odd couple really been around that long? not the answer I was looking for.

#11 put a different beat to the music. I love your answer but I don't know that it would tie in with my original clue. Once again , sorry. Not a comedy. serious.scary.

#8: one movie remade 3 times, starting with 1933 version. Have the odd couple really been around that long? not the answer I was looking for.

#11 put a different beat to the music. I love your answer but I don't know that it would tie in with my original clue. Once again , sorry. Not a comedy. serious.scary.

That correct "Odd Couple" answer was for a former #8 -- Bacon, lettuce (only the soft parts), and tomato with mayonnaise on pumpernickel toast (with the crusts cut off) -- not the current one. I was just a little tardy posting my response.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Correct! The cans of chicken mash were exploded near the beginning of the film so Horace Vandegelder's two assistants, Cornelius and Barnaby, could go off to the Big City.

The turkey dinner with all the sides is from the Harmonia Gardens where Dolly enjoys a rather large meal with Horace ("I don't like beets!").

Can you feel the room swaying? :wink:

Tim Oliver

Some clues have been added by the original posters to help with figuring out the answers:

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

3. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal?? CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

Another CLUE: the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird

4. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

5. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

6. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

7. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. ) CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

CLUE: much older novel that has been released as movies in 1933, 1949 and a more recent version in 1994. ( also a tv version) Of the motion picture releases, each one contained at least one character who was portrayed be an Academy Award nominee( not neccessarily for that picture, butat least once in their career)

9. Stuffed sheep's head and souffle. CLUE: dah du, dah du, dahdudahdudahdu (with cellos) throughout the film many other things were eaten, but that would be giving it away

Another CLUE: Not a comedy. serious. scary

10. Two people at eating dinner when a third one arrives and says "Is anyone eating this?" and takes the man's plate.

11. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

12. "red hots.. get your red hots"

***NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

edited to fix numbering. DOH!

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

OK, here are two clues: The movie is set in North Carolina. The bowl is unceremoniously tossed into the sink.

OK, here are two clues: The movie is set in North Carolina. The bowl is unceremoniously tossed into the sink.

Bull Durham?

Oh, and I previously guessed Jaws for #9.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

There's been absolutely no action on # 5 so I'll add, as a new clue, an additional combo that was prominent in the movie - honey and ice cubes.

No action on #6 either, to my surprise.

Old clue:

*A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.*

New clue:

*Later he gives her a box of chocolate-covered cherries with somebody else's name on it.*

Some movies have been given additional clues:

Another CLUE: the director famously weaves the psychological with the physical, sometimes reality and fantasy are blurred. i.e. he's a bit weird

4. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished. CLUE: The movie is set in North Carolina. The bowl is unceremoniously tossed into the sink.

5. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter. CLUE: an additional combo that was prominent in the movie - honey and ice cubes.

6. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize. CLUE: Later he gives her a box of chocolate-covered cherries with somebody else's name on it.

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

CLUE: much older novel that has been released as movies in 1933, 1949 and a more recent version in 1994. ( also a tv version) Of the motion picture releases, each one contained at least one character who was portrayed be an Academy Award nominee( not neccessarily for that picture, butat least once in their career)

9. Stuffed sheep's head and souffle. CLUE: dah du, dah du, dahdudahdudahdu (with cellos) throughout the film many other things were eaten, but that would be giving it away

Another CLUE: Not a comedy. serious. scary

10. Two people at eating dinner when a third one arrives and says "Is anyone eating this?" and takes the man's plate.

11. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

12. "red hots.. get your red hots"

I'll add two easy ones:

13. A literal mountain of mashed potatoes.

14. Birthday cake ruined by a seagull

Tim Oliver

Bull Durham?

Oh, and I previously guessed Jaws for #9.

Yes, Bull Durham indeed. William Blake??!!

There's been absolutely no action on # 5 so I'll add, as a new clue, an additional combo that was prominent in the movie - honey and ice cubes.

Tampopo?

Tampopo?

No.