• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

I don't know why I think #3 is from Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, only because the father was such a terrible cook.

You're being facetious, right? I was actually trying to think of one emblematic food from Ang Lee's early films and just drew a blank, though the child's gorgeous school lunches come to mind with their layer upon layer of dishes.

Now I'm embarassed to say I wasn't. :blush: It's been several years since I've seen the film, but I remember that, as beautiful as the dishes were, they tasted horrible. Of course, I probably just mixing it up with another movie. As fun as this game is, I already discovered that I'm not really good at playing.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Would 9 be Field of Dreams?

Yep! The corn was a given. The daughter choking on the hot dog was a pivotal scene towards the end of the movie.

Congrats to you and Insomniac for getting that one.

I_call_the_duck, don't give up!

A new movie (easy!):

There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried,

deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp,

pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes,

shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.

edited to add:

In this next movie (different from the one above), there was one food-related seduction scene, but this food reference is from the lyrics of one of the songs in the film:

"When a girl's incidentals

are no bigger than two lentils..."

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't know why I think #3 is from Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, only because the father was such a terrible cook.

You're being facetious, right? I was actually trying to think of one emblematic food from Ang Lee's early films and just drew a blank, though the child's gorgeous school lunches come to mind with their layer upon layer of dishes.

Now I'm embarassed to say I wasn't. :blush: It's been several years since I've seen the film, but I remember that, as beautiful as the dishes were, they tasted horrible. Of course, I probably just mixing it up with another movie.

No, no! I'm the one who completely forgot that the father, a master chef, starts over-salting everything due to a gradual loss of his sense of taste. My bad.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Would 9 be Field of Dreams?

Yep! The corn was a given. The daughter choking on the hot dog was a pivotal scene towards the end of the movie.

Congrats to you and Insomniac for getting that one.

I_call_the_duck, don't give up!

A new movie (easy!):

deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp,

I didn't mean I'd stop playing, I just meant I'm not very good at it. Like sports. I stink, but I still have a good time because I revel in my ineptitude.

Toliver, you did this one for me (thanks)...Forest Gump.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

In this next movie (different from the one above), there was one food-related seduction scene, but this food reference is from the lyrics of one of the songs in the film:

Funny Girl ?

A new movie (easy!):

I imagine that would be forrest gump.

Apparently, I can only get the easy ones. That have the same name as me. Guess that won't happen too many more times! :rolleyes:

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Funny Girl ?

Yes! :laugh: What a great memory! It's from the song "If a Girl isn't Pretty".

The food seduction scene was during the song "You are Woman (I am Man)".

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

A new movie (easy!):

Apparently, I can only get the easy ones. That have the same name as me. Guess that won't happen too many more times! :rolleyes:

Yes! You and I-call_the_duck got it!

I was going to mention the infernal "box of chocolates" but figured shrimp would be more fun.

You're in good company, Forest...a lot of these have been over my head. I guess I should see more movies!

Tim Oliver

Here's another easy one...(from my favorite movie of all time)...

chestnuts, cheddar cheese with chewy chives.

Karen C.

Apparently, I can only get the easy ones.  That have the same name as me.  Guess that won't happen too many more times! 

You're in good company, Forest...a lot of these have been over my head. I guess I should see more movies!

Toliver, Duck & Forest: May I join the club? Most of the clues on this board are too tough for me to solve. That's why I like posting new clues instead. (Usually I have a vague memory of a food scene, but then I have to check the movie or the script for the details.) As for the people with these incredible movie memories--Wow.

"Singing in the Rain"?

One of my faves...

"Moses supposes his toeses are roses..." :laugh:

Tim Oliver

Apparently, I can only get the easy ones.  That have the same name as me.  Guess that won't happen too many more times!  

Toliver, Duck & Forest: May I join the club? Most of the clues on this board are too tough for me to solve. That's why I like posting new clues instead. (Usually I have a vague memory of a food scene, but then I have to check the movie or the script for the details.) As for the people with these incredible movie memories--Wow.

By all means, join in.

So is it just eGulleteers who have a keen sense of food recall in the cinema? :laugh:

Carolyn, I will wait for a confirmation on #7 before I remove it from the list (I thought it was "Big Fish" from only the last two food items).

Here's a recap of what movies are still in play:

1. Egg yolk, a turkey drumstick, and birthday cake? Further clues to this movie: A cook making horrible pancakes and fried eggs while the dancing dishwasher flings plates at him; and eating popcorn while watching the movie Dumbo.

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

3. how about a disgusting bony,lethal chinese meal?? CLUE: How about: life's nothing but a game??

4. A pint of chocolate ice cream, eaten directly from the container, and a bowl of Wheaties with milk. Neither got finished.

5. what's the name of the movie that featured, among a variety of food items, bread and butter.

6. A ruined dinner, and chocolate chocolate chip ice cream to apologize.

7. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. (Movie also contains catfish,and popcorn. )

8. Pie and sausages, POPOVERS and coffee... and everything

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And let's add one more:

9. Some exploding rotten cans of chicken mash.

"Here is a lovely, a lovely [turkey] wing, for you...And some dumplings...And some giblets...some wine...have some beets. ...You salt your beets and I'll salt mine."

Tim Oliver

"Singing in the Rain"?

One of my faves...

"Moses supposes his toeses are roses..." :laugh:

"...but Moses supposes erroneously. Moses, he knowses his toeses aren't roses...as Moses supposes his toeses to be." My favorite niece loves that movie too. Now I have the song going through my head. :rolleyes:

Karen C.

#7 is not Fallen or Big Fish, sorry

If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another new one for the pot:

Two people at eating dinner when a third one arrives and saysIs anyone eating this?and takes the man's plate.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Otto: No hassle. There's plenty of time. I'll just sit here and eat my chips till you tell me. The English contribution to world cuisine: the chip. What do the English usually eat with chips to make them more interesting? Wait a moment! It's fish. Isn't it? [Dipping into the fish tank with a net] Oh! Here, boy. Down the hatch. [Eats the fish] Delicious!

Ken: You b-b-b...

Otto: Better eat the green one? OK. What's this one's name? Well, not Wanda, anyway. I'm going to call her Lunch. Hello, Lunch. Hello! [Eats the fish] Ew! Avoid the green ones - not ripe yet.

Good call Forest, another classic :smile:

ps. I'm leaving this game, it's too addictive and I need to earn a living sometimes :smile:

And Blether, while we're waiting for the fruits of your mental labor...

(Checking back... in fact, you're the thread host, Pontorno, aren't you ? Oops. Sorry ! I should say, you and Toliver are both doing a great job :biggrin: )

Mental labour's beyond me, I'm afraid, and It looks less and less like I'm going to know any of these clues, so here's the fruit anyway:

"... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

please god someone stop me,............................. don't know the movie but simpsons episode 'Dancin' Homer' had the red hots line in it....that is seriously all I'm posting today as I am even starting to annoy myself :blink:

Otto: No hassle. There's plenty of time. I'll just sit here and eat my chips till you tell me. The English contribution to world cuisine: the chip. What do the English usually eat with chips to make them more interesting? Wait a moment! It's fish. Isn't it? [Dipping into the fish tank with a net] Oh! Here, boy. Down the hatch. [Eats the fish] Delicious!

Ken: You b-b-b...

Otto: Better eat the green one? OK. What's this one's name? Well, not Wanda, anyway. I'm going to call her Lunch. Hello, Lunch. Hello! [Eats the fish] Ew! Avoid the green ones - not ripe yet.

I LOVED a Fish Called Wanda............

say something in Russian.....BLINI.......oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!! :laugh: