• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

15 hours ago, Arey said:

The importance of remaining calm while eating crumpets is also emphasized  otherwise you could end up with butter on your cuffs.

Muffins, I believe ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

5. submitted by Wayne: Knocked head over heels by milk.

7. submitted by Wayne: "so how do you want your squirrel? Fried or stewed?"

8. submitted by Wayne: "you're the apple of my eye

A few further clues for the above:

5: MRE's tossed from a retreating HUMVEE

7: Lesson given for making venison stew

8: Small game roasted over an open fire

• Like 1

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@Alex,

liuzhou has attempted to solve your clue for No. 9 with the answer: "2001: A Space Oddessy". Is this correct?

'Tis. (BTW, TftC, it's Odyssey, not Oddessy.)

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I wish to note for the record that I spelled it correctly.  9_9

Thanks for the correction, @Alex. I actually looked this movie up on IMDB to ascertain the placement of a colon I thought was supposed to be in the title. Apparently, I skipped over the correct spelling of "Odyssey". You think I would learn one of these days, or not:D

> ^ . . ^ <

58 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thanks for the correction, @Alex. I actually looked this movie up on IMDB to ascertain the placement of a colon I thought was supposed to be in the title. Apparently, I skipped over the correct spelling of "Odyssey". You think I would learn one of these days, or not:D

Or, if you're a David Bowie fan, Space Oddity.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Or, if you're a David Bowie fan, Space Oddity.

You know I am. The song you linked to sounds really familiar, and I have had the album "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" since I was a young whippersnapper. I think it's on that album, but I'm tired of searching Google to see if it's correct. I have hundreds of vinyls (not real well organized) so I'm not even going there right now.

I also own the DVD with him in it of "The Man Who Fell to Earth". RIP Mr. David Jones "Bowie". There's gin in this movie, so it's food and drink related, right?

Odyssey, odyssey, oddessy ... :laugh: 

> ^ . . ^ <

11 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

You know I am. The song you linked to sounds really familiar, and I have had the album "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" since I was a young whippersnapper. I think it's on that album, but I'm tired of searching Google to see if it's correct. I have hundreds of vinyls (not real well organized) so I'm not even going there right now.

I also own the DVD with him in it of "The Man Who Fell to Earth". RIP Mr. David Jones "Bowie". There's gin in this movie, so it's food and drink related, right?

Odyssey, odyssey, oddessy ... :laugh: 

No. "Space Oddity" is, perhaps surprisingly, on the 1969 album "Space Oddity"! Actually, sometimes it has been released just as "David Bowie". Two before Ziggy (1972).

I went to see him just weeks before Ziggy was released and the concert was cancelled because only ten tickets had been sold.

I know how to spell Odyssey from my days as a literature student. It is still one of my favourite books. I mean the original Homer.

Lots of food in Homer, so not off-topic :S

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 10/30/2016 at 1:59 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Resolved:

9. Has been correctly solved by liuzhou and confirmed by Alex as "2001: A Space Odyssey" after a slight dust-up about my misspelling of "odyssey". :)

So still in play:

5. submitted by Wayne: Knocked head over heels by milk. Further clue to this one added yesterday by Wayne: "MRE's tossed from a retreating HUMVEE"

7. submitted by Wayne: "so how do you want your squirrel? Fried or stewed?" Another clue for this one from the frustrating Wayne: "Lesson given for making venison stew"

8. submitted by Wayne: "you're the apple of my eye" Again from Wayne: "Small game roasted over an open fire"

10. submitted by Wayne: New one: Fritos in the prologue and epilogue and many times throughout film. 

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I will make a stab @Wayne's No. 7. "The Hunger Games"? I can shoot the eye out of a squirrel as well as Katniss Everdeen, but I use a .22 rifle instead of her bow and arrow. Great, great movie!

Not the correct film.

Another set of clues:

5. Beef jerky opened but not eaten.

7. Protagonist uses a .22 rifle and has something in common with Katniss Everdeen (this should give it away).

8. Foraging can be fatal with too little knowledge.

10. Fritos and a sandwich in a tree house.

20 hours ago, Wayne said:

Not the correct film.

Another set of clues:

5. Beef jerky opened but not eaten.

7. Protagonist uses a .22 rifle and has something in common with Katniss Everdeen (this should give it away).

8. Foraging can be fatal with too little knowledge.

10. Fritos and a sandwich in a tree house.

"Winter's Bone"? This is a favorite of mine.

> ^ . . ^ <

I have no idea about 5 or 8. I have this nagging feeling that I should know #10, but nothing coherent is bubbling up.

To help balance out these tough ones, here's an easy one: a White Russian, repeatedly. Hint: The movie made an earlier appearance in this forum, for a different beverage.

That's gotta be The Big Lebowski.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

38 minutes ago, chromedome said:

That's gotta be The Big Lebowski.

Sure does. Sarsaparilla was the previously mentioned item.

"Hey hey careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

The Dude would be proud.

I'll throw out one more clue for #10. Dialogue in a restaurant scene:

"...there is no rule that says I can't come over here and fart on your entrée. But I don't do it. Why? Because it's not good manners..."

Today's update

Resolved:

7. submitted by Wayne: "so how do you want your squirrel? Fried or stewed?" Another clue for this one from the frustrating Wayne: "Lesson given for making venison stew" This was solved by yours truly after two attempts and additional clues.

So still in play:

5. submitted by Wayne: Knocked head over heels by milk. Further clue to this one added yesterday by Wayne: "MRE's tossed from a retreating HUMVEE" Clue 3: Beef jerky opened but not eaten.

8. submitted by Wayne: "you're the apple of my eye" Clue 2. "Small game roasted over an open fire" Clue 3: "Foraging can be fatal with too little knowledge."

10. submitted by Wayne: New one: Fritos in the prologue and epilogue and many times throughout film. Clue 2: 

Dialogue in a restaurant scene:

"...there is no rule that says I can't come over here and fart on your entrée. But I don't do it. Why? Because it's not good manners..."

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

Solutions:

#5: David O. Russell's "Three Kings".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUMom0hWBY The milk scene at 1:09.

#8: Sean Penn's "Into the Wild" from Jon Krakauer's book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTIibbq1xd4 for apple quote.

#10: Barry Sonnenfeld's "Big Trouble" from Dave Barry's novel.

• Like 1

So we are down to only two mystery movies today.

Resolved:

5, 8, and 10 were taken out of play by Wayne, the OP, just offering up the answers after none of us could solve them.

Still in Play:

11. Submitted by Thanks for the Crepes: This one features donuts in an armored car in an already flooded town that is downstream from an old dam that's questionable under the circumstances, and eventually bursts during the movie, further flooding the town.

12. Submitted by liuzhou: 

"chicken sandwiches and cornets of caviar"

No Googling!

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

I will submit another couple clues for No. 11, as no one has gotten it in 24 hours:

It's  not really well known, but it had a $70 million dollar budget back when that was very serious money for a movie, and Morgan Freeman is in it. Google away on mine, because I don't want people to loose interest because of frustration.

> ^ . . ^ <