• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

• 8 years later...

@Wayne brought my attention to this great thread. It racked up 58 pages of dialog in just one day over a year, Feb. 4, 2007 to Feb. 5, 2008 in the heyday of eGullet. It took me four days to read through it all.

I think it is a really fun game. I'm a fan of both food and movies, but every time I thought I had one right, it was immediately solved by someone else.

I don't think I'll be as good at it as others, but I would like to try to restart this game, anyway.

I will start off with a new movie that has not been mentioned in the thread before: A young girl goes into a cafe with others her age, and they are mixed race, to buy food. The proprietor won't serve them and the town bully pours flour over her head and face to turn her "white". What movie am I thinking of?

I'll provide more clues if no one gets it, but it was a very memorable scene to me, at least.

> ^ . . ^ <

That sounds like the first 'Billy Jack' film.

This thread was indeed popular but it did require someone to hold the reins to keep it from spinning out of control. Kudos to  @Toliver who kept it going for so long.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

4 hours ago, Yiannos said:

Wolf nipple chips!

Life of Brian! (w/o the exclamation point). Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Here's another one (fairly easy; no Googling/Bing-ing/etc., though): Mrs. Lovett's meat pies.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

54 minutes ago, Alex said:

Here's another one (fairly easy; no Googling/Bing-ing/etc., though): Mrs. Lovett's meat pies.

Sweeney Todd (The demon Barber of Fleet Street). I've never seen the movie but I have seen at least 3 stage versions.   I love Sondheim.

Sorry, I don't see enough movies to come up with a contribution.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

13 hours ago, Wayne said:

That sounds like the first 'Billy Jack' film.

This thread was indeed popular but it did require someone to hold the reins to keep it from spinning out of control. Kudos to  @Toliver who kept it going for so long.

Wayne is correct with "Billy Jack" for the scene where the young girl has flour dumped on her by a bully.

I don't know any of the others. Just as I suspected, I'm not good at this, but it sure is fun to read.

> ^ . . ^ <

Okay, if the inimitable @Toliver who did such a great job on the last go round almost a decade ago, has no interest in keeping track, I will try to step reluctantly into his shoes.

If you want to do this, Toliver, I will very gladly step aside. You are experienced, and the job is bound to be a lot easier than when you were the steward now that we have the Quote and Mention features. Hint, hint, hint. :D:D

We are going to start over at No. 1.

The first movie clue was put up by me, and almost immediately solved by Wayne. So that one's out of play.

17 hours ago, Yiannos said:

Wolf nipple chips!

Alex has guessed 

12 hours ago, Alex said:

So @Yiannos?

12 hours ago, Alex said:

ElainaA has guessed:

11 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Sweeney Todd (The demon Barber of Fleet Street). I've never seen the movie but I have seen at least 3 stage versions.   I love Sondheim.

I believe she's right, as I saw the version with Angela Landsbury as Mrs. Lovett. The protocol is the poster of the clue confirms a correct answer, and we wait until that is done before taking a clue out of play.

I did not even recognize that one, and I've seen it! 9_9 So, @Alex, do you concur?

9 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Cucumber sandwiches (or lack thereof):

There were no cucumbers in the market this morning, sir.

No cucumbers!

No, sir. Not even for ready money.

(No Googling!!)

9 hours ago, Wayne said:

#4 Clue: Knocked head over heels by milk.

And that's why we don't self-assign clue numbers. Also if you add a movie clue, and it's unresolved for a while, please come back and add more clues to put us out of our misery. :)

> ^ . . ^ <

Mmmkay, y'all. So far I have not been able to foist this off. It's a lot of fun, so I'll keep going for a while.

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

22 hours ago, Yiannos said:

Wolf nipple chips!

Alex has guessed 

18 hours ago, Alex said:

So @Yiannos?

18 hours ago, Alex said:

ElainaA has guessed:

17 hours ago, ElainaA said:

I believe she's right, as I saw the version with Angela Landsbury as Mrs. Lovett. The protocol is the poster of the clue confirms a correct answer, and we wait until that is done before taking a clue out of play.

I did not even recognize that one, and I've seen it! 9_9 So, @Alex, do you concur?

14 hours ago, cakewalk said:

No cucumbers!

(No Googling!!)

liuzhou has answered your clue @cakewalk, please confirm:

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I don't think of it as a movie (although, it has of course been filmed) , but the cucumbers are Oscar Wilde - 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.

14 hours ago, Wayne said:

And that's why we don't self-assign clue numbers. Also if you add a movie clue, and it's unresolved for a while, please come back and add more clues to put us out of our misery. :)

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Marshmallow Mermaid Pie

@Lisa Shock,

Wayne has tried to solve your clue:

Wayne is correct with the answer to his clue as i was typing, so No. 6 is resolved and out of play.

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

"so how do you want your squirrel? Fried or stewed?"

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

"you're the apple of my eye"

Aside: Herding cats! grumble, bitch and moan. :laugh:

Still it could be fun, if y'all want to do this. I loved where in the old thread posters of the original clue would come back and provide more details on the movie, often with enthusiasm. It was obviously memorable enough to them, and provided a rich base of movies to explore.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

9 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:
4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

22 hours ago, Yiannos said:

Wolf nipple chips!

Alex has guessed 

18 hours ago, Alex said:

So @Yiannos?

18 hours ago, Alex said:

ElainaA has guessed:

17 hours ago, ElainaA said:

14 hours ago, cakewalk said:

No cucumbers!

(No Googling!!)

liuzhou has answered your clue @cakewalk, please confirm:

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I don't think of it as a movie (although, it has of course been filmed) , but the cucumbers are Oscar Wilde - 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.

14 hours ago, Wayne said:

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Marshmallow Mermaid Pie

@Lisa Shock,

Wayne has tried to solve your clue:

Wayne is correct with the answer to his clue as i was typing, so No. 6 is resolved and out of play.

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

"so how do you want your squirrel? Fried or stewed?"

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

"you're the apple of my eye"

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

"(You're) the apple of my eye" is ancient and I'm sure turns up in many, many films. It features more than once in the Bible, was used by King Alfred in the 9th century and turns up in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream".

6 minutes ago, Wayne said:

@liuzhou

Good point so I'll narrow it down: The film is relatively recent and the line is literal.

Signing off. Talk amongst yourselves

> ^ . . ^ <

The cucumber sandwiches are indeed from Oscar Wilde's brilliant play, The Importance of Being Earnest. It was made into a wonderful movie in 1952 with Dame Edith Evans as Lady Bracknell ("A handbag?"). The cucumber sandwiches scene, and particularly the butler's low-key rejoinder, is classic. 

Edited by cakewalk
spelling (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Aside: Herding cats! grumble, bitch and moan. :laugh:

Yeowl!

Confirming #3 as Sweeney Todd.

I also am certain that my answer to #2 is correct; no need to wait for Yiannos to confirm.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, cakewalk said:

The cucumber sandwiches are indeed from Oscar Wilde's brilliant play, The Importance of Being Earnest. It was made into a wonderful movie in 1952 with Dame Edith Evans as Lady Bracknell ("A handbag?"). The cucumber sandwiches scene, and particularly the butler's low-key rejoinder, is classic. 

The importance of remaining calm while eating crumpets is also emphasized  otherwise you could end up with butter on your cuffs.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Here's a new one:

(Looking at sandwiches in a cooler)

"What's that? Chicken?"

"Something like that. Tastes the same, anyway."

"Got any ham?"

Resolved:

2.  has been correctly solved as "Life of Brian" and confirmed by Yiannos, who submitted the clue, so that one is out of play. Congratulations to Wayne.

3. ElainaA solved this correctly with "Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" and confirmed by Wayne. Kudos, ElainaA!

4. Is also out of play. liuzhou correctly answered the clue with "The Importance of Being Earnest", cakewalk has confirmed. Way to go liuzhou!

6. is out of play. Lisa Shock confirmed the film is "Waitress". Good going, Wayne.

So still in play:

5. submitted by Wayne: Knocked head over heels by milk.

7. submitted by Wayne: "so how do you want your squirrel? Fried or stewed?"

8. submitted by Wayne: "you're the apple of my eye"

9. submitted by Alex: 

Here's a new one:

(Looking at sandwiches in a cooler)

"What's that? Chicken?"

"Something like that. Tastes the same, anyway."

"Got any ham?"

10. submitted by Wayne: New one: Fritos in the prologue and epilogue and many times throughout film.

> ^ . . ^ <