• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

petite tête de chou has also guessed that #189 (Creme de la Creme ala Edgar) is the film "The Aristocats".

Correct.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Bumping this game up with a new movie. It is actually a sequel...

Waitress: What'll you have, honey?

Girl: I'll have a cheeseburger with everything on it, french fries and oh, a side salad.

Waitress: (turns to our hero) How about you?

Hero: I'll decide when I come back (heads into the restroom).

A fight soon breaks out in this diner.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US:

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

CLUE: The hero speaks to an older woman, and her comeback was quite memorable.

CLUE: The lady came to the hero's place of work in order to watch him. No food was visible at the moment, though the aura of ham was present.

Today seems the right Time to disclose the answer: On June 27, 1912, Richard Collier checked in at the hotel, met Elise McKenna, and became a part of a veritable Mobius strip of timeline.

A lovely older woman walked up to the young playwright backstage at rehearsal, tenderly tucked a gold pocketwatch into his hand, and whispered, "Come back to me."

Richard traveled Time to be with her, and at their first evening together, he was thrown out of the dining room by her pompous, jealous manager.

At their last meal, a happy, just-in-love candlelight picnic of roast chicken, eaten on the floor of the hotel room amidst their disheveled bedclothes, a penny from the future catapulted him back to his own time.

And today would be the 95th anniversary of their meeting. A bit of arcanity useful only in Trivial Pursuit or to sappy-hearted bloops like me.

I give this movie :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Over to you, Roger.

A new recap! And a new movie clue (in bold).

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "American Grafitti" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou for correctly guessing that #189 (Creme de la Creme ala Edgar) is the film "The Aristocats".

She also solved the new movie clue "A dandelion!" as the animated feature "Ice Age".

racheld has revealed that the movie that has been taunting us for so long, #154 (REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

CLUE: The hero speaks to an older woman, and her comeback was quite memorable.

CLUE: The lady came to the hero's place of work in order to watch him. No food was visible at the moment, though the aura of ham was present. ),

is the film "Somewhere in Time". :wub:

racheld writes:

On June 27, 1912, Richard Collier checked in at the hotel, met Elise McKenna, and became a part of a veritable Mobius strip of timeline.

A lovely older woman walked up to the young playwright backstage at rehearsal, tenderly tucked a gold pocketwatch into his hand, and whispered, "Come back to me."

Richard traveled Time to be with her, and at their first evening together, he was thrown out of the dining room by her pompous, jealous manager.

At their last meal, a happy, just-in-love candlelight picnic of roast chicken, eaten on the floor of the hotel room amidst their disheveled bedclothes, a penny from the future catapulted him back to his own time.

And today [June 27th, 2007] would be the 95th anniversary of their meeting. A bit of arcanity useful only in Trivial Pursuit or to sappy-hearted bloops like me.

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #174 (Raw corn, bananas, scenery CLUE: The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery) could be "WarGames".

-sadie_siamesecat has guessed that #173 (Jack Nicholson film: features a lot of barbequeing [as I recall]) is the film "Term of Endearment".

#174 is not "1492 - Conquest of Paradise"

#184 is not "Lost in Translation"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US:

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

173. Jack Nicholson film: features a lot of barbequeing (as I recall)

174. Raw corn, bananas, scenery

CLUE: The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery.

177. I hid behind the car. I didn't want to get any ketchup on my dress.

CLUE: I've been carrying around this ketchup bottle for weeks!... WEEKS!!!

184. sushi, including 'masago' and 'amachi'

CLUE: in a separate scene, Noodles eaten from a paper carton (on a park bench)

CLUE: in another scene, Snapper - discussed but not seen.

188. Poem improvised by prospective husband-material at family dinner that begins with a pile of thick strands of pasta sauced with wild fennel:

"Snails to eat

And woman sweet--

An incredible treat!"

Or something to that effect.

CLUE: a) Another incentive to make the gaped-toothed dinner guest a member of the family: the prospect of lasagna and sardines. b) Takes place on an island, c) in black and white.

190. It is actually a sequel...

Girl: I'll have a cheeseburger with everything on it, french fries and oh, a side salad.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

More clues...

Our hero just lost his powers and was beat up by an SOB trucker. Hero returns at the end of the movie to give SOB trucker somewhat of a beating and a lesson.

More clues...

Our hero just lost his powers and was beat up by an SOB trucker. Hero returns at the end of the movie to give SOB trucker somewhat of a beating and a lesson.

This sounds like a Superman movie (just lost his powers is what makes me think so). Is it the second one (with Christopher Reeve)?

More clues...

This sounds like a Superman movie (just lost his powers is what makes me think so). Is it the second one (with Christopher Reeve)?

You got it! Superman II with the unforgetable Christopher Reeves. :wub:

In trying to describe the chef as being drunk without drawing attention from the customers, the descriptions are :

He's POTTED ... the shrimps

He's SOUSED ... the herrings

He's PICKLED the onions and he's SMASHED the eggs in his cups UNDER THE TABLE

In trying to describe the chef as being drunk without drawing attention from the customers, the descriptions are :

He's POTTED ... the shrimps

He's SOUSED ... the herrings

He's PICKLED the onions and he's SMASHED the eggs in his cups UNDER THE TABLE

Fawlty Towers, Polly speaking to Basil, is it the duck episode? where Basil beats his broken down car with a branch?? my fav. :smile:

• 3 months later...
D: Why'd you have to say 50? couldn't you say 35 or 39?

L: It seemed like a nice round number....

Cool Hand Luke. And I never saw a *nicer* belly stuffed with fifty eggs. What an adorable man! :rolleyes:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks