• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

181:  Shrek 2!

You got that right Viva! :biggrin:

I cannot believe I did not guess this one.

The "ass" clue did it for me :biggrin:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

180. Ramen noodles cooked in a tiny cramped space, slurped by our heroes that have come in for shelter. Various snacks pilfered from the shelves while the pounding rain pours on the metal roof.

CLUE: In a dream sequence, the daughter appears from under the table to join in the ramen feasting. She is fed kimbap by one of our heroes. Shortly after, the heroes face off with the beast under the rain. 

Korean film The Host? LOVE IT!  :biggrin:

Yes! It is the suprising hit "The Host". You got it Petite tête de chou!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

A new clue has been added to an existing movie puzzle:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou for guessing that #180 (Ramen noodles cooked in a tiny cramped space, slurped by our heroes that have come in for shelter. Various snacks pilfered from the shelves while the pounding rain pours on the metal roof...) is the film "The Host".

-Domestic Goddess for correctly guessing that:

"Call Barbara."

"why"

"tell her not to open the caviar" is from the film "Spiderman 2".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #174 (Raw corn, bananas, scenery

CLUE: The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery) could be "WarGames".

-plk has guessed that #154 (REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints...) is the film "Jamon, Jamon".

#154 is not "The Notebook"

#174 is not "1492 - Conquest of Paradise"

#182 & #183 are not "The Simpsons"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US:

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

CLUE: The hero speaks to an older woman, and her comeback was quite memorable.

CLUE: The lady came to the hero's place of work in order to watch him. No food was visible at the moment, though the aura of ham was present.

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

173. Jack Nicholson film: features a lot of barbequeing (as I recall)

174. Raw corn, bananas, scenery

CLUE: The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery.

177. I hid behind the car. I didn't want to get any ketchup on my dress.

182. A whole odd-looking roasted river fish paraded among dinner party guests before being placed on the table

CLUE: The fish is probably from the Amazon river

183. quote (more or less) 'What kind of a man does not eat a hot dog'

CLUE: The movie is based on a TV show of the same name

184. sushi, including 'masago' and 'amachi'

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Easier clues, huh?

Ok let me try:

182. A whole odd-looking roasted river fish paraded among dinner party guests before being placed on the table

So many memorable images from this film it's hard to pick one, but here goes:

CLUE: At the same party, our hero attempts to play Opera on his phonograph and is kicked out

CLUE: The other character replies 'He's a vegetarian'. They are all cops BTW.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Shot in the dark.

Miami Vice?

CLUE: At the same party, our hero attempts to play Opera on his phonograph and is kicked out

Fitzcarraldo?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

S.W.A.T.! Thanks to Domestic Goddess for pointing my brain in the right direction with the Miami Vice suggestion.

Samuel L. Jackson: How can I trust a man who won't eat a good old-fashioned American hotdog?

Colin Farrell: He's a vegetarian.

That one has been driving me crazy! I kept thinking it was A Long Kiss Goodnight.

<cough> Why yes... I watch a lot of brainless action movies. They're like junk food for the brain. :smile:

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Fitzcarraldo?

Correct

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

S.W.A.T.! Thanks to Domestic Goddess for pointing my brain in the right direction with the Miami Vice suggestion.

Samuel L. Jackson: How can I trust a man who won't eat a good old-fashioned American hotdog?

Colin Farrell: He's a vegetarian.

That one has been driving me crazy! I kept thinking it was A Long Kiss Goodnight.

<cough> Why yes... I watch a lot of brainless action movies. They're like junk food for the brain. :smile:

Right! I knew my 'quote' was a bit off.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

New clues have been added to some movies:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou for guessing that #182 (A whole odd-looking roasted river fish paraded among dinner party guests before being placed on the table CLUE: The fish is probably from the Amazon river...) is the film "Fitzcarroldo".

-viva for guessing that #183 (quote [more or less] 'What kind of a man does not eat a hot dog') is the film "S.W.A.T."

CLUE: The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery) could be "WarGames".

#154 is not "The Notebook" nor is it "Jamon, Jamon"

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

CLUE: The lady came to the hero's place of work in order to watch him. No food was visible at the moment, though the aura of ham was present.

185. Chocolate mousse with a "chalky undertaste."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Tim Oliver

Already offered and answered, WAY back.  A very memorable line, and I've never looked at chocolate mousse the same again.

Darn. It *did* seem familiar. Perhaps I should've used the raw-liver-chomp-fest as a clue instead. Compelling yet repulsive. :biggrin:

For those who don't know, the film we're talking about is Rosemary's Baby.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

A new clue has been added to an existing movie puzzle:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou for guessing that #180 (Ramen noodles cooked in a tiny cramped space, slurped by our heroes that have come in for shelter. Various snacks pilfered from the shelves while the pounding rain pours on the metal roof...) is the film "The Host".

-Domestic Goddess for correctly guessing that:

"Call Barbara."

"why"

"tell her not to open the caviar" is from the film "Spiderman 2".

-plk has guessed that #154 (REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints...) is the film "Jamon, Jamon".

#154 is not "The Notebook"

#182 & #183 are not "The Simpsons"

Here is another clue for 177:  I've been carrying around this ketchup bottle for weeks!... WEEKS!!!

New movies:

Clue - Our villain gets sprayed with eggs, milk, showered with sugar and dumped with flour and eventually gets baked in a big cake.

Clue - Our heroes try to get watermelons from a group of crazy ninja-karate birdbrains. Nobody gets the watermelons in the end.

New movies have been added and new clues have been added to some movies:

#154 is not "The Notebook" nor is it "Jamon, Jamon"

NEW CLUE: I've been carrying around this ketchup bottle for weeks!... WEEKS!!!

NEW CLUE: in a separate scene, Noodles eaten from a paper carton (on a park bench)

NEW MOVIE 186. Our villain gets sprayed with eggs, milk, showered with sugar and dumped with flour and eventually gets baked in a big cake.

NEW MOVIE 187. Our heroes try to get watermelons from a group of crazy ninja-karate birdbrains. Nobody gets the watermelons in the end.

Tim Oliver

New movies:

Clue - Our villain gets sprayed with eggs, milk, showered with sugar and dumped with flour and eventually gets baked in a big cake.

Clue - Our heroes try to get watermelons from a group of crazy ninja-karate birdbrains. Nobody gets the watermelons in the end.

Second Clue: Ice Age

Edited by dsquare (log)

Dave