• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

171:  The Last Detail

172:  King of Marvin Gardens

173.  I dare not speak its title---it was THAT bad.  Suffice to say, I would imagine that Glenn, Jack, Pierce, et al, up to and including the fabulous Slim Whitman, considered throwing Tim Burton himself onto the grill.

Please don't nitpick, Toliver---I really WON'T say the title--you don't want me to throw up on my keyboard, do you?

Well done, Rachel ... with Last Detail and KoMG.

However, I'm thinking of a different film for 173, one involving southwest bbq.

SarahW is indeed correct with Valmont as the answer to #148.

sorry it took so long for me to get back to ya'll....... my computer was down for almost a month!!!

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Yay! I guessed one!

Now I have to bang my head on the "stupid board" because, looking at the list of guesses and hits, my guess-this-movie submission (#174) is a repeat of a recently guessed movie, Leon.

A guess, BTW, listed as correct, right above my guess for Valmont in the round-up. Doh. If it were Snakes on a Plane, it would have bit me.

In my (lame) defense, I knew the movie as The Professional, and not Leon.

So "Two quarts of milk a day and a little lady" is off the table. Back with a mop and I hope a unique quess-this-movie clue, later

Thanks for the info, Sarah.

Here's a recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-wayne for correctly solving #168 (BBQ. Mainly ribs featured more than once in this movie. The main character seemed to savor them very much from a certain BBQ shack. CLUE: scandal involving the said bbq shack owner's daughter and our rib-loving main character) as the film "Primary Colors".

-SarahW has correctly guessed that #148 (In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock) is the film "Valmont".

-racheld for solving #171 (Jack Nicholson film: cheeseburgers where the cheese doesn't melt right; purported greatest Italian sausage sandwich (+ "What's an Indiana Dog?"); and complaints about eggs) as the film "The Last Detail".

She also solved #172 (Jack Nicholson film opens with a recounting of a story of non-intervention upon Grandpa choking to death on a fish bone ("breaded sole -- the crumbs only helped to conceal the bones"), with Gramps collapsing off his dining chair "looking like the remains of some chaotic dinner party.") as the film "The King of Marvin Gardens".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-FoodMan has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta"...) is the film "Mostly Martha"

-godito has guessed that #123 is the film "Made"

-WHT has gueesed that #123 is the film "Blow"

-Domestic Goddess has guessed that #123 is "Leon"

#123 is not "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events" nor is it "The Goodbye Girl"

#154 is not "The Notebook"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US A LITTLE LESS UNMERCIFULLY:

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

CLUE: said while the character's cooking, to a little girl, who hasnt eaten yet, and is kinda lonely. it might be "bad girl pasta" that he says.

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

CLUE: The hero speaks to an older woman, and her comeback was quite memorable.

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

173. Jack Nicholson film: features a lot of barbequeing (as I recall)

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

the list is getting short so let's add a few. Here are 2 movies

clue for movie 1: An old man eating a pomegranate in an airport

clue for movie 2: Drinking a whole lot of orange juice almost all the time after a certain incident happened to this character

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here's a recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new movie contenders have been added -

-FoodMan has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta"...) is the film "Mostly Martha"

#123 is not "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events" nor is it "The Goodbye Girl"

CLUE: said while the character's cooking, to a little girl, who hasnt eaten yet, and is kinda lonely. it might be "bad girl pasta" that he says.

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

174. Raw corn, bananas, scenery

175. An old man eating a pomegranate in an airport

176. Drinking a whole lot of orange juice almost all the time after a certain incident happened to this character

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Tim Oliver

Here's a recap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Domestic Goddess has guessed that #170 (Jack Nicholson film: The Strawberry Alarm Clock doing "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow") is the film "Psych Out".

Godito GOTito!  congrats, it is MADE!!!!

and I believe Wayne is right... #168 is Primary Colors,

-SarahW has guessed that #148 (In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock) is the film "Valmont".

-racheld has guessed that #171 is the film "The Last Detail" and also guessed that #172 is the film "The King of Marvin Gardens".

She has posted a guess about #173 but has refused to name the film.

-Wayne has guessed that #168 is the film "Primary Colors".

#168 is not "Maid for Each Other"

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

168. BBQ. Mainly ribs featured more than once in this movie. The main character seemed to savor them very much from a certain BBQ shack.

CLUE: scandal involving the said bbq shack owner's daughter and our rib-loving main character.

171. Jack Nicholson film: cheeseburgers where the cheese doesn't melt right; purported greatest Italian sausage sandwich (+ "What's an Indiana Dog?"); and complaints about eggs

172. Jack Nicholson film opens with a recounting of a story of non-intervention upon Grandpa choking to death on a fish bone ("breaded sole -- the crumbs only helped to conceal the bones"), with Gramps collapsing off his dining chair "looking like the remains of some chaotic dinner party."

174. Two quarts of milk a day, and a little lady.

here's a new one:

I hid behind the car. I didn't want to get any ketchup on my dress.

Here's a recap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Domestic Goddess has guessed that #170 (Jack Nicholson film: The Strawberry Alarm Clock doing "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow") is the film "Psych Out".

Godito GOTito!  congrats, it is MADE!!!!

and I believe Wayne is right... #168 is Primary Colors,

-SarahW has guessed that #148 (In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock) is the film "Valmont".

-racheld has guessed that #171 is the film "The Last Detail" and also guessed that #172 is the film "The King of Marvin Gardens".

She has posted a guess about #173 but has refused to name the film.

-Wayne has guessed that #168 is the film "Primary Colors".

#168 is not "Maid for Each Other"

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

168. BBQ. Mainly ribs featured more than once in this movie. The main character seemed to savor them very much from a certain BBQ shack.

CLUE: scandal involving the said bbq shack owner's daughter and our rib-loving main character.

171. Jack Nicholson film: cheeseburgers where the cheese doesn't melt right; purported greatest Italian sausage sandwich (+ "What's an Indiana Dog?"); and complaints about eggs

172. Jack Nicholson film opens with a recounting of a story of non-intervention upon Grandpa choking to death on a fish bone ("breaded sole -- the crumbs only helped to conceal the bones"), with Gramps collapsing off his dining chair "looking like the remains of some chaotic dinner party."

174. Two quarts of milk a day, and a little lady.

the only movie I can think of with a pomegranate in it and an old man eating it (Charles Aznavour) is Ararat but I can't remember if it was at an airport....it was at the Canadian border but I found the film so rambling I lost interest (even tho the Armenian genocide topic had led me to going to see it)

the only movie I can think of with a pomegranate in it and an old man eating it (Charles Aznavour) is Ararat but I can't remember if it was at an airport....it was at the Canadian border but I found the film so rambling I lost interest (even tho the Armenian genocide topic had led me to going to see it)

CORRECT

There are two brilliant scenes worth seeing in this movie. The pomegranate scene and the last piece with the same old customs agent trying to get the truth out of the young man who might or might not be smuggling something into Canada.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Godito GOTito!  congrats! it is MADE!!!!

and I believe Wayne is right... #168 is Primary Colors

I submitted a new clue about getting ketchup on the dress...

Thanks, Nicola. I'll post a recap shortly reflecting Godito's correct solution.

As for #168, that movie clue was posted by foodman so we'll let him call the winner, if it's correct.

edited to say: Whoops! That one was solved correctly. It was "Primary Colors".

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Here's a recap to take us into the weekend:

Some new movie contenders have been added -

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Insomniac for correctly solving #175 (An old man eating a pomegranate in an airport) as the film "Ararat".

-godito for correctly solving #123, finally ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta." CLUE: said while the character's cooking, to a little girl, who hasnt eaten yet, and is kinda lonely. it might be "bad girl pasta" that he says) as the film "Made.

-There are no current guesses.

174. Raw corn, bananas, scenery

176. Drinking a whole lot of orange juice almost all the time after a certain incident happened to this character

177. I hid behind the car. I didn't want to get any ketchup on my dress.

178. Jerk food and sushi

179. Cracker sandwiches

Tim Oliver

1492 - Conquest of Paradise was visually breathtakingly beautiful, had corn and bananas and was a crock of sh1t IMHO...could it be #174?

actually thinking of all the movies set in Central AmericanI have seen and I can't remember the food in any of them....

Ooh!

Stir of Echoes with the infamous Kevin Bacon.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

1492 - Conquest of Paradise was visually breathtakingly beautiful, had corn and bananas and was a crock of sh1t IMHO...could it be #174?

actually thinking of all the movies set in Central AmericanI have seen and I can't remember the food in any of them....

That's a NO on the guess for #174.

So here's another clue -

The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery.

#178 Jerk food and Sushi;

In Her Shoes

I really liked this movie , and am amazed that Racheld has not already answered it !! :wub:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

That's a NO on the guess for #174.

So here's another clue -

The actor won't eat the banana, but does chew the scenery.

hmmm sounds like an animal in a movie shoot?? :biggrin: