• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Could #141 be the corpse bride?

A good n- creepy guess but incorrect.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

CLUE: a jar of peanut butter and ants

CLUE: It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

Added clue: Director was a member of Monty Python.

Would that be "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Cracking film.

Si

Tideland?

Name the film in which mushrooms play a minor, but significant role in forwarding themes.

For a fleeting moment, a hunt for trumpet mushrooms unites a disengaged father with his two children.

Hidden deep within the woods, chanterelles evoke nostalgia for those resigned to the grimness of their ongoing lives: a time of family connections when traditions were passed down from one generation to the next. The best mushroom one could ever find, they represent promise. As long as they keep it a secret from their mother, the children may be taken high into the mountains to search for them one day when they are older.

Black mushrooms mean death: inescapable, horrifying, thrilling.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Guessing on #157 - Stranger Than Fiction? Will Ferrell doesn' t know the difference between cookies that are just baked or that come from a box. I don't quite remember the daily green apple -- but he was pretty obsessive about things like brushing his teeth. I think I wish I had paid more attention watching this movie!

That's right!

Will Ferrell grabbed a green apple from the bowl on his kitchen counter as he walked out the door each morning; you could see it in his mouth as he counted his steps across the crosswalk on his way to the bus stop.

A brilliant movie with an outstanding cast, one of my recent favourites.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Our end-of-the-week morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added to existing puzzles.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-waterdogs for correctly guessing that #157 (In separate instances, a green apple eaten each morning, and a glass of milk and cookies "warm and gooey, right out of the oven." CLUE: The lead character never liked cookies until he tasted these which had been baked especially for him) is the film "Stranger Than Fiction"

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-The Blissful Glutton has guessed that #141 (An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert) is the film "The Corpse Bride".

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

-Toliver has guessed that #123 is "The Goodbye Girl"

-Simon_S has guessed that #141 is the film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

-The Blissful Glutton has guessed that #141 is the film "Tideland".

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine"

#153 is not "Legal Eagles"

#141 is not "The Corpse Bride" or "The Brothers Grimm" or "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

CLUE: a jar of peanut butter and ants

CLUE: It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

CLUE: Director was a member of Monty Python.

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

153. cold hot dogs, mustard, potato chips, beer, milk

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

CLUE: Breadcrumbs.

156. laughing, guffaw....."CHICLETS!!!!!!!!!!!"

CLUE: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

159. An oatmeal cream pie, an apple, and a family dinner featuring a turkey.

160. Name the film in which mushrooms play a minor, but significant role in forwarding themes -

For a fleeting moment, a hunt for trumpet mushrooms unites a disengaged father with his two children.

Hidden deep within the woods, chanterelles evoke nostalgia for those resigned to the grimness of their ongoing lives: a time of family connections when traditions were passed down from one generation to the next. The best mushroom one could ever find, they represent promise. As long as they keep it a secret from their mother, the children may be taken high into the mountains to search for them one day when they are older.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

-The Blissful Glutton has guessed that #141 (An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert) is the film "The Corpse Bride".

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

-Simon_S has guessed that  #141 is the film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

If it is not Tideland, I give up!

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

-Simon_S has guessed that  #141 is the film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

If it is not Tideland, I give up!

Tideland is the film! Not sure if I'd recommend it considering the rather gruesome content but that isn't unusual for Gilliams films. Odd, fascinating and faintly disgusting. :laugh:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

The game activity seems to be slowing down a bit...

Here's a Monday morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added to existing puzzles.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-The Blissful Glutton for solving #141 (An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert...) as the film "Tideland".

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine"

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

CLUE: BAGS OF breadcrumbs. Cheap.

CLUE: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

160. Name the film in which mushrooms play a minor, but significant role in forwarding themes -

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Tim Oliver

Is #97 "Elf"?? I remember a breakfast scene where Will Ferrell goes to town on some ludicrously sugared-up pancakes...

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I have a new movie:

Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Ok another movie:

Huge steaks freshly fried in a skillet served with sunny side-up eggs, mashed taters and gravy. Lotsa gravy.

HINT: Subtitulos

The morning recap:

**Some new clues have been added to existing puzzles and some new movies have also been added**

There have been no new solutions since the last recap.

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine" nor is it "Elf"

CLUE: The Ahi tuna was warmed in a microwave

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

CLUE: There is an amazing animation segment, waiting in lines and lots of history.

CLUE: Subtitulos

161. Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion.

162. Huge steaks freshly fried in a skillet served with sunny side-up eggs, mashed taters and gravy. Lotsa gravy.

Tim Oliver

>> The Spirit of the Beehive?

>> The Spirit of the Beehive?

SI :biggrin: !

162---TWISTER?

FOOD!!  FOOD!  FOOD!

Yes!!!! Indeed it is! Twister - my eldest's favorite movie (crashing trucks, tankers, explosions+ 12 year old boy.... do the math) :biggrin:

More clues for: 161. Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion.

Clue 2 - Dinner of sunny-side up eggs (fried by our heroine), glass of orange juice for her, coffee for him by the candlelight in the farmhouse where they've taken refuge. Dinner was never eaten.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

The mid-week morning recap:

**A new clue has been added to an existing puzzle**

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-worm@work for solving #160 (Name the film in which mushrooms play a minor, but significant role in forwarding themes...) as the film "The Spirit of the Beehive".

-Domestic Goddess has solved #162 (Huge steaks freshly fried in a skillet served with sunny side-up eggs, mashed taters and gravy. Lotsa gravy) as the film "Twister".

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine" nor is it "Elf"

CLUE: The Ahi tuna was warmed in a microwave

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

CLUE: There is an amazing animation segment, waiting in lines and lots of history.

161. Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion.

CLUE: Dinner of sunny-side up eggs (fried by our heroine), glass of orange juice for her, coffee for him by the candlelight in the farmhouse where they've taken refuge. Dinner was never eaten.

Tim Oliver

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I'll admit I have not read through all this thread. I'd like to add a new puzzle and hope it was never discussed before.

Puzzle: Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration.

Hope this is all you need.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog