• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

149. In different scenes, Jack daniels, a fruit pie (off by a couple of months), dumplings and a jaw breaker.Clue - a Holy Grail.

The Fisher King?

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen!! Love that film, such tender and horrific scenes in a comic wrap.

I'll second that emotion, Henry. Great movie, indeed. :)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

An start-of-the-week recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added to existing puzzles.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-monavano has correctly guessed that #152 (A glass jar is dipped into a beehive and emerges filled with honey. It is then wiped "clean" with a dry cloth and presented to a picnic guest) is the film "Fried Green Tomatoes".

-carold has solved #147 (She contemplates murder with fresh berries CLUE: Giving him the tainted berries was not very "friend"ly) as the film "The Good Girl".

-shellfishfiend has correctly guessed that "He eats the corn to destroy the evidence of his crime" is the Johnny Depp film "Secret Window".

-insomniac has solved "bring me my Obsession perfume, a couple of macaroons and my computer, I need to do some email" as the film "Keeping the Faith".

-glossyp has correctly guessed that #144 (A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too) is the film "Emma".

-mooshmouse has solved #149 (In different scenes, Jack daniels, a fruit pie (off by a couple of months), dumplings and a jaw breaker. CLUE: a Holy Grail) as the film "The Fisher King".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

-Toliver has guessed that #123 is "The Goodbye Girl"

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #151 ("Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte") is "Young Frankenstein"

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine"

#153 is not "Legal Eagles"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

140. A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.

CLUE: Not only garbage goes into the dumpster.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

CLUE: a jar of peanut butter and ants

CLUE: It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

150. In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off).

CLUE: Absolute rage !

151. "Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte"

153. cold hot dogs, mustard, potato chips, beer, milk

154. A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns.

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

156. laughing, guffaw....."CHICLETS!!!!!!!!!!!"

157. In separate instances, a green apple eaten each morning, and a glass of milk and cookies "warm and gooey, right out of the oven."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou has correctly guessed that #151 ("Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte") is the film "Young Frankenstein".

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

-Tkrup has guessed that #150 (In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off). CLUE: Absolute rage ! ) is the film "Twenty Eight Days Later".

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

140. A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.

CLUE: Not only garbage goes into the dumpster.

CLUE: A potful of wiggly things, sampled by the cook.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

CLUE: It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

150. In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off).

CLUE: Absolute rage !

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

CLUE: Breadcrumbs.

157. In separate instances, a green apple eaten each morning, and a glass of milk and cookies "warm and gooey, right out of the oven."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Tim Oliver

150 is Twenty-Eight Days Later.

It certainly is, go to top of the class or take the day off.......your choice :biggrin:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

#154 another clue: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies

displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like

loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

Whoops! Sorry! I see I wrote the wrong # from the recap list, this should be an

new clue for #156. :rolleyes:

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

The Wednesday morning recap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-kartoffel for correctly solving #140 (A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window. CLUE: Not only garbage goes into the dumpster. CLUE: A potful of wiggly things, sampled by the cook) as the film "The Neverending Story".

-Tkrup also solved #150 (In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off). CLUE: Absolute rage ! ) as the film "Twenty-Eight Days Later".

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

Tim Oliver

The Wednesday morning recap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-kartoffel for correctly solving #140 (A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.  CLUE: Not only garbage goes into the dumpster.  CLUE: A potful of wiggly things, sampled by the cook) as the film "The Neverending Story".

-Tkrup also solved #150 (In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off). CLUE: Absolute rage ! ) as the film "Twenty-Eight Days Later".

CLUE: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

I had a revised clue since my initial post had the wrong #, the movie

should be #156 not #154. My post is right above your recap. Sorry! :blink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Here's some more:

*"I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

*An oatmeal cream pie, an apple, and a family dinner featuring a turkey.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

CLUE: The lead character never liked cookies until he tasted these which had been baked especially for him.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A mid-morning recap to correct a misplaced clue:

There have been no new solved movies since the last recap.

-The Blissful Glutton has guessed that #141 (An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert) is the film "The Corpse Bride".

155. Sugar and HIGH TEA.

CLUE: The lead character never liked cookies until he tasted these which had been baked especially for him.

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

159. An oatmeal cream pie, an apple, and a family dinner featuring a turkey.

Tim Oliver

Guessing on #157 - Stranger Than Fiction? Will Ferrell doesn' t know the difference between cookies that are just baked or that come from a box. I don't quite remember the daily green apple -- but he was pretty obsessive about things like brushing his teeth. I think I wish I had paid more attention watching this movie!

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Could #141 be the corpse bride?

A good n- creepy guess but incorrect.

Added clue: Director was a member of Monty Python.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

How about the Brother's Grimm?

Right director, wrong film. So close... :wink:

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party...

It has to be... The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - a film that had its problems.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party...

It has to be... The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - a film that had its problems.

Still so close...perhaps I was one of the few who saw it. :laugh:

Twin Peaks

Would that be "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Cracking film.

Si