• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Prince of Tides it is.  The tiger was a sideshow "pet" of the family, and the priceless violin was held hostage over the edge of the New York penthouse balcony at a dinner party, to make its owner apologize for insulting his own wife at the dinnertable.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This movie has probably already appeared, but Toliver didn't say "don't"

A glass jar is dipped into a beehive and emerges filled with honey.  It is then wiped "clean" with a dry cloth and presented to a picnic guest.

(AS IF it wasn't sticky as all get-out.--Hollywood makes some classic blunders)

Fried Green Tomatoes. The bee keeper aka Idgie. Loved, loved that movie.

A couple  cooking a late dinner of lamb curry and tea, interrupted by a neighbor.

Adam and Amanda are interrupted by Kip(?)  with a song in Adam's Rib ( one of the many movies I would pretend to be too sick for school for to watch on Midday Movies in Oz. :biggrin:

when I broke my ankle aged 10 I was in seventh heaven :smile:  :smile:

Faaaarrrewellll, A-MAN-da!! Adios. . . :wub:

Right you are.

Those were the days.

Oh heck yes! Nearly every time I make a salad I think of Adam in an untied apron that's slung over his suit rubbing a clove of garlic in a wooden bowl. He thinks to add a bit of green bell pepper and Amanda dismisses the suggestion saying that they're "indigestible." Love it. Now that I'm really thinking about it, I can recall a rather obsessive amount of food scenes in most of the Hepburn-Tracy films. :wub:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

This movie has probably already appeared, but Toliver didn't say "don't"

Not my game so I can't make up the rules. I'm just the recap guy.

If you want to post a movie that's already been solved before, be my guest. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

An end-of-the-week recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added to existing puzzles.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-monavano has correctly solved #133 (A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin. CLUE: Seafood, a shrimp boat, a fancy dinner party with a cliffhanger for after-dinner entertainment) as the film "The Prince of Tides".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

-Toliver has guessed that #123 is "The Goodbye Girl"

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #151 ("Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte") is "Young Frankenstein"

-monavano has guessed that #152 (A glass jar is dipped into a beehive and emerges filled with honey. It is then wiped "clean" with a dry cloth and presented to a picnic guest) is the film "Fried Green Tomatoes".

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

140. A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.

CLUE: Not only garbage goes into the dumpster.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

CLUE: a jar of peanut butter and ants

CLUE: It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

144. A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too.

147. She contemplates murder with fresh berries

CLUE: Giving him the tainted berries was not very "friend"ly

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

149. In different scenes, Jack daniels, a fruit pie (off by a couple of months), dumplings and a jaw breaker.

150. In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off).

151. "Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte"

152. A glass jar is dipped into a beehive and emerges filled with honey. It is then wiped "clean" with a dry cloth and presented to a picnic guest.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is it the movie Emma with the talented Toni Collette? I know Gwenyth Paltrow got top billing, but you had to love Ms. Collette in this period piece.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

and another: "bring me my Obsession perfume, a couple of macaroons

and my computer, I need to do some email."

....have you heard the one about the rabbi and the priest?

Keeping the Faith :smile:

monavano is correct with Fried Green Tomatoes, which we can probably retire now.

And on Blether's latest clue: Cold hot dogs were one of the dug-out-of-the-fridge items during a mutual midnight munchie session between Debra Winger at her apartment, and Robert Redford at his, mulling a court case and their growing attraction for each other, in Legal Eagles. The beer, milk, etc., I didn't notice---I was too wrapped up in the dancing.

And would #147 be The Break-Up? Haven't seen it, but the clues lead that way---maybe she just couldn't get rid of him any other way?

Edited by racheld (log)

monavano  is correct with Fried Green Tomatoes, which we can probably retire now.  

And on Blether's latest clue:   Cold hot dogs were one of the dug-out-of-the-fridge items during a mutual midnight munchie session between Debra Winger at her apartment, and Robert Redford at his, mulling a court case and their growing attraction for each other, in Legal Eagles.   The beer, milk, etc., I didn't notice---I was too wrapped up in the dancing. 

And would #147 be The Break-Up?    Haven't seen it, but the clues lead that way---maybe she just couldn't get rid of him any other way?

You are on the right track with that guess for #147!! But no, it's not "The Break Up", although, interstingly, thier huge fight happened over lemons. Not enough lemons :wink: So, it's got a food component to it as well.

Edited by monavano (log)

monavano  is correct with Fried Green Tomatoes, which we can probably retire now.  

And on Blether's latest clue:   Cold hot dogs were one of the dug-out-of-the-fridge items during a mutual midnight munchie session between Debra Winger at her apartment, and Robert Redford at his, mulling a court case and their growing attraction for each other, in Legal Eagles.   The beer, milk, etc., I didn't notice---I was too wrapped up in the dancing. 

And would #147 be The Break-Up?    Haven't seen it, but the clues lead that way---maybe she just couldn't get rid of him any other way?

You are on the right track with that guess for #147!! But no, it's not "The Break Up", although, interstingly, thier huge fight happened over lemons. Not enough lemons :wink: So, it's got a food component to it as well.

" What my Baby want's, my Baby gets"

"Baby wanted 12"

#147 is The Good Girl.......... she can't get rid of her teenage lover and considers giving him the same tainted blackberries that her friend and coworker ate that sent her to the hospital and eventually the morgue

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

" What my Baby want's, my Baby gets"

"Baby wanted 12"

#147 is The Good Girl.......... she can't get rid of her teenage lover and considers giving him the same tainted blackberries that her friend and coworker ate that sent her to the hospital and eventually the morgue

Congratulations! You got it!

And on Blether's latest clue:  Cold hot dogs were one of the dug-out-of-the-fridge items during a mutual midnight munchie session between Debra Winger at her apartment, and Robert Redford at his, mulling a court case and their growing attraction for each other, in Legal Eagles.  The beer, milk, etc., I didn't notice---I was too wrapped up in the dancing. 

Hmm... it's not the movie I'm thinking of, but as my omniscience is broken just now, I think you deserve recognition if you can substantiate the beer, milk, and potato chips - and we'll carry on with the clue till we get the answer I'm expecting :smile:

I did see Legal Eagles, but I don't remember the dancing (or much else about it).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

New Movie

He eats the corn to destroy the evidence of his crime.

I think this is "Secret Window." I love Depp.

Fantastic! You got it. What a creepy movie, huh? Creepy good, give you goosebumsp, kinda creepy.

Edited by monavano (log)

and another: "bring me my Obsession perfume, a couple of macaroons

and my computer, I need to do some email."

....have you heard the one about the rabbi and the priest?

Keeping the Faith :smile:

Bravo! Insomniac! I love this movie! Good job!

Anne Bancroft was the best in everything! :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Is it the movie Emma with the talented Toni Collette? I know Gwenyth Paltrow got top billing, but you had to love Ms. Collette in this period piece.

Yes, glossyp! Good for you. This was just a brief scene in the movie. Congrats! :smile: #144. A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too.--from one of the dinner scenes in Emma starring Gwyneth Paltrow. I liked Toni Collette's performance, also. The food and the scenery in this film were sumptuous. Remember the arbor of apples? Sometimes, though, the movie seemed to drag for me. Too many tea parties. :laugh:

New movie:

In separate instances, a green apple eaten each morning, and a glass of milk and cookies "warm and gooey, right out of the oven."

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

149. In different scenes, Jack daniels, a fruit pie (off by a couple of months), dumplings and a jaw breaker.

Clue - a Holy Grail.

150. In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off).

Clue - Absolute rage !

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Clue - a Holy Grail.

The Fisher King?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Clue - a Holy Grail.

The Fisher King?

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen!! Love that film, such tender and horrific scenes in a comic wrap.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.