• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Not too much activity (yet) so I'll post a recap in the morning.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

MORE CLUES:

137.  Newspaper-wrapped fish.

Formula 51

Could be, and I'd give you credit, but it was a second clue for Movie #137, The Godfather, which has been solved. It was sent to signify that Luca Brazzi slept with the fishes.

Well, technically (anally :raz: ) the two fish were wrappped in Brazzis woefully inadequate bullet-proof vest which was then wrapped in plain, brown paper.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

clue: a jar of peanut butter and ants

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

UPDATE - **I`m gonna have the kalamari** - clue, psychopathic Ghandi.

Second clue - Tapas with a scary Human/Lagomorph.

Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast?

Correct a mundo, well the film was correct and Ben was in it, brilliantly I might add, but Ray Winston said the line and I couldn`t think of a way of giving a clue without giving it away.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Correct a mundo, well the film was correct and Ben was in it, brilliantly I might add, but Ray Winston said the line and I couldn`t think of a way of giving a clue without giving it away.

I really like "psychopathic Ghandi." Terribly funny! It'd be a good name for a musical band.

I suspect that I should add as many clues towards #141 that I dare. It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

Twin Peaks

I really like "psychopathic Ghandi." Terribly funny! It'd be a good name for a musical band.

I suspect that I should add as many clues towards #141 that I dare. It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

Sorry to be so psycho myself folks, but if I see the name spelt as

"Ghandi" one more time I'll go even more bananas than I already am

(saying quite a lot). :wacko:

It's Gandhi, not, never, jamais, jamas, kabhi nahin "Ghandi".

This is not a "tomayto" vs "tomato" thing, its the difference

between right and wrong spelling. The placement of "h" in

English rendering of Indian-language words is not arbitrary,

and getting it wrong is not trivial. There really are no two

ways about it.

If you get someone who speaks Hindi to pronounce Gandhi

correctly, you'll hear it.

In this day and age.....

Please, if you do only *one* thing this year, let it be

learning how to spell Gandhi correctly.

Milagai

(and sorry to intrude on your game when I don't know any of

the answers; but it's amazing - 38 pages and counting....)

Profuse apologies to Milagai !

2 more for those still in the game -

Firstly we have, in different scenes, Jack daniels, a fruit pie(off by a couple of months), dumplings and a jaw breaker.

Secondly and again in seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham tinned peas tinned beans and.........omelette(also off).

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

MORE CLUES:

Formula 51

Could be, and I'd give you credit, but it was a second clue for Movie #137, The Godfather, which has been solved. It was sent to signify that Luca Brazzi slept with the fishes.

Well, technically (anally :raz: ) the two fish were wrappped in Brazzis woefully inadequate bullet-proof vest which was then wrapped in plain, brown paper.

I bow to your correction---that movie made quite an impression on me---went to see it in Denver as a first-run, and don't think I've seen the whole thing since. Did you rewind and look to see the wrappings, or do you have such a perfect memory?

Wow. Apologies. I grovel. I cringe.

Carry on.

MORE CLUES:

Formula 51

I bow to your correction---that movie made quite an impression on me---went to see it in Denver as a first-run, and don't think I've seen the whole thing since. Did you rewind and look to see the wrappings, or do you have such a perfect memory?

Wow. Apologies. I grovel. I cringe.

Carry on.

First run viewing? Eh-xellent! I had *just* finished watching it as a result of this very thread so the Sicilian message was fresh in mind. And aside from food, film is my way of life. :laugh: Oh to tumble into the great beyond amongst the tomatoes and a happy grandson. Wonderful scene, that.

Twin Peaks

A couple cooking a late dinner of lamb curry and tea, interrupted by a neighbor.

Adam and Amanda are interrupted by Kip(?) with a song in Adam's Rib ( one of the many movies I would pretend to be too sick for school for to watch on Midday Movies in Oz. :biggrin:

when I broke my ankle aged 10 I was in seventh heaven :smile::smile:

Edited by insomniac (log)

A couple  cooking a late dinner of lamb curry and tea, interrupted by a neighbor.

Adam and Amanda are interrupted by Kip(?)  with a song in Adam's Rib ( one of the many movies I would pretend to be too sick for school for to watch on Midday Movies in Oz. :biggrin:

when I broke my ankle aged 10 I was in seventh heaven :smile:  :smile:

Faaaarrrewellll, A-MAN-da!! Adios. . . :wub:

Right you are.

Those were the days.

An end-of-the-week morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added to existing puzzles.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-taboni has correctly guessed that #145 (Tab and Wonder Bread sandwiches with lettuce and chips. "Who should we nuke first?") is the film "Wargames".

-insomniac solved "Slippery little suckers" as an escargot goes flying out from the dish to be caught by a waiter...... as the film "Pretty Woman".

-petite tête de chou has solved #146 ("I`m gonna have the kalamari" CLUE: psychopathic Ghandi CLUE: Tapas with a scary Human/Lagomorph) as the film, starring Ben Kingsley, "Sexy Beast".

-insomniac has solved "A couple cooking a late dinner of lamb curry and tea, interrupted by a neighbor" as the film "Adam's Rib".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

-Toliver has guessed that #123 is "The Goodbye Girl"

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #151 ("Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte") is "Young Frankenstein"

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

CLUE: Seafood, a shrimp boat, a fancy dinner party with a cliffhanger for after-dinner entertainment.

140. A peanut butter sandwich, rationed into halves in an attic, and gobbled as a storm rages outside the flapping window.

141. An extremely bizarre tea-party. The table is set with beer braised rabbit with carrots, onions and potatoes, a jar of lemonade and butter tarts for dessert.

CLUE: a jar of peanut butter and ants

CLUE: It had a very limited release even though the director is well known for both his direction *and* animation.

144. A centerpiece of artichokes. Artichokes to eat, too.

147. She contemplates murder with fresh berries

CLUE: Giving him the tainted berries was not very "friend"ly

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

149. In different scenes, Jack daniels, a fruit pie (off by a couple of months), dumplings and a jaw breaker.

150. In seperate scenes, creme de menthe, tinned and irradiated fruit, tinned ham, tinned peas, tinned beans and.........omelette (also off).

151. "Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte"

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Extra hints:

#133: The dogfood is stirred into sauteed onions and peppers and served to a grumpy, curmudgeonly man. It's revenge, the collusion of his wife and children, after he refused the lovely dinner his wife had prepared.

140: Not only garbage goes into the dumpster.

#133: The Prince of Tides

"Now that's cooking"!!

While he was declaring the first dinner garbage, I love her line:

"It's elegantfood "

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Prince of Tides it is. The tiger was a sideshow "pet" of the family, and the priceless violin was held hostage over the edge of the New York penthouse balcony at a dinner party, to make its owner apologize for insulting his own wife at the dinnertable.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This movie has probably already appeared, but Toliver didn't say "don't"

A glass jar is dipped into a beehive and emerges filled with honey. It is then wiped "clean" with a dry cloth and presented to a picnic guest.

(AS IF it wasn't sticky as all get-out.--Hollywood makes some classic blunders)