• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

118:

Children of a Lesser God, right after the memorable Boom-a-rang-rang-rang number.

Yes, Racheld! Congrats! :smile: #118. "V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A" and "What's veal?" (To himself) "Uh... God. What the hell is veal?" from Children Of A Lesser God starring William Hurt and Marlee Matlin. The couple go out to a restaurant for dinner. "Veal piccata" is both signed and spoken. She doesn't know what veal piccata is, and neither of them know what veal is. (Obviously they are not egulleteers.)

Question: Does anybody know the meaning of the title of this film? I don't recall that it was ever explained.

well Donna I know that Mark Medoff wrote the play for a deaf woman who was one of 9 deaf children when she told him there were no roles for deaf actors...maybe the title infers that deaf people are less important to us all than 'normal' people, therefore they must be looked after by a 'lesser' god??...bit early in the morning for philosophising :smile:

More clues:

131. Tubs of whipped cream, eaten before a flickering tv set.

CLUE: The character is a fat slob of a blonde who binges everytime she sees the actress who stole her doctor fiancee. Another scene shows her opening cupboards filled with whipped cream tubs.

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

CLUE: These pork pies are gobbled up by an elderly man wearing an elf suit.

131 Death Becomes Her -- I just remember the peanut butter, eaten in great finger-dips from the jar.

And if the man in #127 is Anthony Quinn :wub: in Zorba the Greek, I can see him yelling "DON'T be DELICATE" over a glass of ouzo.

Edited by racheld (log)

More clues:

131. Tubs of whipped cream, eaten before a flickering tv set.

CLUE: The character is a fat slob of a blonde who binges everytime she sees the actress who stole her doctor fiancee. Another scene shows her opening cupboards filled with whipped cream tubs.

131 Death Becomes Her -- I just remember the peanut butter, eaten in great finger-dips from the jar.

You got it Racheld!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Poor ol' #66. Another CLUE - hitler's diaries

*sigh!*

The Dirty Dozen?

I ain't tryin' another 'til I get this one... without cheating.

Sorry, man - no. Not The Dirty Dozen.

[Officious looking sign] "Thank-you for not cheating"

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

While I am here, a weak non-guess on Nemesis Number 66: I saw this movie years ago; it is French; a strange sort of love story (I guess they all are, aren't they?); she is a waitress, he's a handyman?; there is a fork stabbing and lot of nudity/sex...but I cannot remember the name. I keep coming up with "Blue Velvet" and I KNOW that is not right. Someone put me out of this misery.

(Sorry, Nicola, and... )

Weak ? Oooooo, Waterdogs. I'll accept either the French (which I prefer, I mean from an artistic merit viewpoint) or the English title.

While I am here, a weak non-guess on Nemesis Number 66: I saw this movie years ago; it is French; a strange sort of love story (I guess they all are, aren't they?); she is a waitress, he's a handyman?; there is a fork stabbing and lot of nudity/sex...but I cannot remember the name. I keep coming up with "Blue Velvet" and I KNOW that is not right. Someone put me out of this misery.

(Sorry, Nicola, and... )

Weak ? Oooooo, Waterdogs. I'll accept either the French (which I prefer, I mean from an artistic merit viewpoint) or the English title.

37.2 le matin??she has serious mental issues, she does stab a patron (with a fork) and he is a handyman who is terrified about what she will do when he's not there but I can't remember anything else much except the above.............I think the 37.2 degrees is meant to be the body temp. in the morning???

Edited by insomniac (log)

Yes, it is "Trente-sept deux le matin" ('Thirty-two point seven in the morning'), released also under the English title "Betty Blue". Congratulations Insomniac and Waterdogs !

We see Zorg as a handyman at the beginning of the movie ('the forecast was for storms') - hidden away he has the manuscript to his work of fiction, Hitler's Diaries, which Betty discovers and endeavours to have published in the face of a barrage of rejection. Zorg's friend Eddy gives the couple a job in his pizza parlour, Pizza Stromboli. In front of house, a couple are being difficult and the chef's response is his 'repel cuisine'. The customers love it: "How's your pizza ?" - "Hot !" - "it's you that's hot !"

Yes, Betty ends up forking the woman.

The script (of the subtitles !) can be seen here.

Given that one crux of the plot is Betty losing her unborn baby, 37.2 being body temperature makes sense. Was there that much sex & nudity ? I dunno if it's more than a dark triangle or two different to, say, Body Heat, but it's been a while and yes, memories vary.

The film received both a BAFTA and Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Language Film in 1986, as well as winning a César Award for Best Poster. Insomniac, you are in the frame for (You name the food, I'll name the movie) YNTFINTM's Best Poster of 2007. We'll keep you, uh... posted.

Edit: to note that a morning temperature of 37.2 also seems to be the watershed for diagnosing "fever of unknown origin".

Edited by Blether (log)

:smile:

Yes, it is "Trente-sept deux le matin" ('Thirty-two point seven in the morning'), released also under the English title "Betty Blue".  Congratulations Insomniac and Waterdogs !

We see Zorg as a handyman at the beginning of the movie - hidden away he has the manuscript to his work of fiction, Hitler's Diaries, which Betty discovers and endeavours to have published in the face of a barrage of rejection.  Zorg's friend Eddy gives the couple a job in his pizza parlour, Pizza Stromboli.  in front of house, a couple are being difficult and the chef's response is his 'repel cuisine'.  The customers love it: "How's your pizza ?" - "Hot !" - "it's you that's hot !"

Yes, Betty ends up forking the woman.

The script (of the subtitles !) can be seen here.

Given that one crux of the plot is Betty losing her unborn baby, 37.2 being body temperature makes sense.  Was there that much sex & nudity ?  I dunno if it's more than a dark triangle or two different to, say, Body Heat, but it's been a while and yes, memories vary.

The film received both a BAFTA and Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Language Film in 1986, as well as winning a César Award for Best Poster.  Insomniac, you are in the frame for (You name the food, I'll name the movie) YNTFINTM's Best Poster of 2007.  WE'll keep you, uh... posted.

Edit: to note that a morning temperature of 37.2 also seems to be the watershed for diagnosing "fever of unknown origin".

ah, the old FOA...have had a few of those...turned out to be dengue x 2 and malaria...ps. remember the baby loss and an unpublished book?? (well, sort of)

pps. at first I thought you called me a poser :smile:

ppps distracted by watching the rugby...go France

A well traveled turkey held hostage, raw potatoes that don't mash, Krispy Kremes.

Has to be 'Pieces of April' starring the lovely Katie Holmes, wife of the lovely Tom Cruise, as I sit and recover from the loss of my rugby team to *England*

Insomniac, if it is ANY consolation, you are so very correct about "Pieces of April"! Congratulations on the answer if not your choice of rugby teams.

AND, huge congrats on solving that cursed number 66. While I had lost track of who posted that devil, I am not surprised to see Blether surfacing as instigator; a role played before, IIRC. I simply

could not come up with it. When I finally banished Blue Velvet from my thinking I kept getting Blues Brothers. Good grief.

LASTLY, Blether: I recall Betty Blue (blue it was) completely outdoes Body Heat in degrees of HOT. Both probably worth a rental fee!

Edited by waterdogs (log)

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Insomniac, if it is ANY consolation, you are so very correct about "Pieces of April"! Congratulations on the answer if not your choice of rugby teams.

AND, huge congrats on solving that cursed number 66. While I had lost track of who posted that devil, I am not surprised to see Blether surfacing as instigator; a role played before, IIRC. I simply

could not come up with it. When I finally banished Blue Velvet from my thinking I kept getting Blues Brothers. Good grief.

LASTLY, Blether: I recall Betty Blue (blue it was)  completely outdoes Body Heat in degrees of HOT. Both probably worth a rental fee!

you triggered my memory WD...remembered it cos I saw Diva, liked it, so rented other stuff by the same director................

and my rugby team, as a good Ozzie, is any team except Pomgolia (tho I must admit after a few years here I find myself disturbingly shifting in attitude; next it will be my accent :smile: )

Edited by insomniac (log)

I swear I thought I did a Friday evening recap. *sigh*

Here's the morning recap to clear out the deadwood:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-insomniac correctly guessed that #130 (Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano( also in same film, pate and corn nuts(BQ) ) is the film "Heathers" and also solved "That's a very PLUM plum" as the film "The English Patient".

She has also solved #137 (A well traveled turkey held hostage, raw potatoes that don't mash, Krispy Kremes) as the film "Pieces of April".

-waterdogs solved #135 (Goat's milk drunk from a bowl. Sports fans HATE this movie) as the infamous "Heidi" incident and also solved #125 ("I'd like to hear you psycho-analyse us. what would you say, huh? overbearing, controlling, my husband is a cheese phobic?" CLUE: same movie as the lsd laced quail) as the film "Flirting with Disaster".

-racheld has solved #107 (Quails, fish paté, potato soup) as the film "My Dinner wiith Andre" and has also solved #118 (V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A CLUE: "What's veal?" (To himself) "Uh... God. What the hell is veal?") as the film "Children of a Lesser God"

She also solved #131 (Tubs of whipped cream, eaten before a flickering tv set. CLUE: The character is a fat slob of a blonde who binges everytime she sees the actress who stole her doctor fiancee. Another scene shows her opening cupboards filled with whipped cream tubs) as the film "Death Becomes Her".

-waterdogs and insomniac both pitched in to finally solve #66 (Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..." CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?" CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'. CLUE: hitler's diaries) as the film "Trente-sept deux le matin" (aka "Betty Blue").

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Nicola Kountoupes has guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money"

-GordonCooks has guessed that #131 is "Seven"

-racheld has guessed that #127 is "Zorba the Greek"

We know:

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

#127 is not "Birdcage"

#134 is not 'Edward Scissorhands" nor is it "Pleasantville"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

127. "DONT be DELICATE!!!"

CLUE: in reference to someone's drinking style

CLUE: it is yelled at close range.

CLUE: the man (A.Q.) is doin' a Liza-DoLittle, reverse style, on the british gent.

a chair is broken, wine is spilled on a clean white shirt. A scarf is a hankerchief is a surrender to the dance.

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

134. A plate of marshmallow treats, covered in waxed paper, taken to a party.

136. Jelly Babies, Coke & Scotch

137. A last supper of veal and some almost-fatal oranges.

138. Live wriggling worms in tea sandwiches, froggy tea and red jello on a shovel.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ok more clues...

The pork pies and sherry were meant for the jolly red fat man in the suit but this one can't enjoy them on account of his, um, lack of digestive system.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

136. Jelly Babies, Coke & Scotch

Is that Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood?

Oh, and a request. When submitting a guess, can we please include the clue so one does not have to scroll up to find it? Thanks.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany