• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

KTG was denied, though it FIT the only clue we were given.  I'm just sayin'.  Fair's fair.

Caroled, are you and Toliver still toying with each other over that one ? :biggrin:

---

Poor ol' #66. Another CLUE - hitler's diaries

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

KTG was denied, though it FIT the only clue we were given.   I'm just sayin'.   Fair's fair.

Caroled, are you and Toliver still toying with each other over that one ? :biggrin:

---

T'aint Caro---it's Rachel, and if Toliver will send me his address, I'll send him my DVD.

It's IN there, I tell you, it's IN there!! And way neater'n the Senator's spillage.

Now scuse me whilst I go fetch my fan and smellin' salts. And maybe a julep. :raz:

134. A plate of marshmallow treats, covered in waxed paper, taken to a party.

Could be Edward Scissorhands - if "ambrosia" counts as marshmallow treats

Ambrosia? Not quite the one I meant.

Caroled called down the stairs to ask if it was the "marshmallow rice squares" made by Joan Allen in Pleasantville ---no, but it's quite a coincidence.

PS---121 is HARVEY?

Edited by racheld (log)

T'aint Caro---it's Rachel, and if Toliver will send me his address, I'll send him my DVD.

It's IN there, I tell you, it's IN there!!  And way neater'n the Senator's spillage.

Now scuse me whilst I go fetch my fan and smellin' salts.  And maybe a julep. :raz:

Oops ! Sorry :smile:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#129...The Lost Boys?

One of the kids fed raw garlic disguised as grated parmesan to the guy courting his mom to see his reaction.  Turns out he really was the vampire.

Yes it is. I love a good vampire movie.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

*sigh!*

The Dirty Dozen?

I ain't tryin' another 'til I get this one... without cheating.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........
Clue for #98 - one main character is named Jeffrey Matthews.........

O.K. one more clue, Cliff Roberston is in this movie too.

Oh, yeah -- luau + Cliff Robertson = Gidget

I'm kind of embarrassed that I knew this.

I'm glad you do! :wink: It's funny to see old Cliff in this mostly with his

shirt off and those silly cut off khaki's. Correct answer! :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

114. An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake

CLUE: Lollipop

Is this Bright Eyes?  In which Shirley Temple sings "The Good Ship Lollipop?"

Johanna

Congratulations, Johanna! You are correct. The clues all have to do with the lyrics to "The Good Ship Lollipop" sung by Shirley Temple in the film "Bright Eyes".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

PS---121 is HARVEY?

You are correct! Elwood's niece made the egg and onion sandwich for the sanitarium worker, sort of a woo-ing move on her part.

The turkey wing clue was from the social gathering Elwood's sister was trying to throw when he showed up and disrupted the party by just being himself.

Food aside, in this film Harvey and Elwood liked to imbibe and how! :laugh:

Tim Oliver

The end-of-the-week morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-johannafin for solving #114 (An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake CLUE: Lollipop) as the Shirley Temple film "Bright Eyes".

-racheld for finally removing #116 (A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom) by solving it as the Shirley Temple version of "The Little Princess".

She also adeptly solved #121 (A turkey wing, walnut dressing & lemon soda. There's also an egg and onion sandwich. But food doesn't play a big part in this movie...alcohol plays a bigger part. CLUE: Pooka) as the Jimmy Stewart comedy "Harvey" (Harvey was supposed to be a Pooka).

-Tkrup has correctly guessed that #129 (A dinner of spaghetti and raw garlic) is the film "The Lost Boys".

-Alex has solved #98 (The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'......... CLUE: Cliff Roberston is in this movie too) as the film "Gidget".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Nicola Kountoupes has guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money" and that #116 is "The Pianist"

-GordonCooks has guessed that #131 is "Seven"

-johhnyd has guessed that #66 is "The Dirty Dozen"

We know:

#66 is not "Hairspray" nor is it "Goodfellas"

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

#127 is not "Birdcage"

#134 is not 'Edward Scissorhands" nor is it "Pleasantville"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

CLUE: hitler's diaries

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

118. V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

125. "I'd like to hear you psycho-analyse us. what would you say, huh? overbearing, controlling, my husband is a cheese phobic?"

CLUE: same movie as the lsd laced quail.

127. "DONT be DELICATE!!!"

CLUE: in reference to someone's drinking style

CLUE: it is yelled at close range.

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

130. Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano( also in same film, pate and corn nuts(BQ)

131. Tubs of whipped cream, eaten before a flickering tv set.

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

135. Goat's milk drunk from a bowl. Sports fans HATE this movie.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited for spelking

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

The end-of-the-week morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-johannafin for solving #114 (An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake CLUE: Lollipop) as the Shirley Temple film "Bright Eyes".

-racheld for finally removing #116 (A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom) by solving it as the Shirley Temple version of "The Little Princess". 

She also adeptly solved #121 (A turkey wing, walnut dressing & lemon soda. There's also an egg and onion sandwich. But food doesn't play a big part in this movie...alcohol plays a bigger part. CLUE: Pooka) as the Jimmy Stewart comedy "Harvey" (Harvey was supposed to be a Pooka).

-Tkrup has correctly guessed that #129 (A dinner of spaghetti and raw garlic) is the film "The Lost Boys".

-Alex has solved #98 (The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'......... CLUE: Cliff Roberston is in this movie too) as the film "Gidget".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Nicola Kountoupes has guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money" and that #116 is "The Pianist"

-GordonCooks has guessed that #131 is "Seven"

-johhnyd has guessed that #66 is "The Dirty Dozen"

We know:

#66 is not "Hairspray" nor is it "Goodfellas"

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

#127 is not "Birdcage"

#134 is not 'Edward Scissorhands" nor is it "Pleasantville"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

CLUE: hitler's diaries

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

118. V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

125. "I'd like to hear you psycho-analyse us. what would you say, huh? overbearing, controlling, my husband is a cheese phobic?"

CLUE: same movie as the lsd laced quail.

127. "DONT be DELICATE!!!"

CLUE: in reference to someone's drinking style

CLUE: it is yelled at close range.

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

130. Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano( also in same film, pate and corn nuts(BQ)

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

135. Goat's milk drunk from a bowl. Sports fans HATE this movie.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited for spelking

from the movie that brought us ' F*ck me gently with a chainsaw,' no. 130. Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano has got to be Heathers?? :huh:

A new movie:

Jelly Babies, Coke & Scotch

Tim Oliver

I think #125 is "Flirting with Disaster"? Or some title really close to that. Ben Stiller was in it?

Edited by waterdogs (log)

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Wait maybe another one.... (maybe not) :wacko:

135. The "Heidi" Bowl/game ?? Just going by the clues...tho' it seems like a bowl of goat milk might be in a movie called "Heidi".

Wait maybe another one.... (maybe not) :wacko:

135. The "Heidi" Bowl/game ?? Just going by the clues...tho' it seems like a bowl of goat milk might be in a movie called "Heidi".

Ya gottit!!! I knew someone would catch that. It was the sip heard round the world, at least in football.

The clues all have to do with the lyrics to "The Good Ship Lollipop" sung by Shirley Temple in the film "Bright Eyes".

Toliver, how funny that you and I thought of Shirley Temple movies at about the same time. I think this is Shirley's first appearance on this long message board.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe how wildly popular Shirley Temple was in her heyday. IMO, her movies haven't aged well. Her contribution was to cheer up people and distract them during the Great Depression--and I'll give her credit for that.

118:

Children of a Lesser God, right after the memorable Boom-a-rang-rang-rang number.

And 107---My Dinner with Andre---just happened to TIVO it today---never had seen it, and when he ordered "Terrine de poisson" I listened for the other two.

Serendipity.

Edited by racheld (log)

118:

Children of a Lesser God, right after the memorable Boom-a-rang-rang-rang number.

And 107---My Dinner with Andre---just happened to TIVO it today---never had seen it, and when he ordered "Terrine de poisson"  I listened for the other two.

Serendipity.

Well done, racheld! Yes, number 107 is "My Dinner with Andre". Congratulations.

Here is a new one, then, that is no cinema match for MDwA:

A well traveled turkey held hostage, raw potatoes that don't mash, Krispy Kremes.

While I am here, a weak non-guess on Nemesis Number 66: I saw this movie years ago; it is French; a strange sort of love story (I guess they all are, aren't they?); she is a waitress, he's a handyman?; there is a fork stabbing and lot of nudity/sex...but I cannot remember the name. I keep coming up with "Blue Velvet" and I KNOW that is not right. Someone put me out of this misery.

More clues:

CLUE: The character is a fat slob of a blonde who binges everytime she sees the actress who stole her doctor fiancee. Another scene shows her opening cupboards filled with whipped cream tubs.

CLUE: These pork pies are gobbled up by an elderly man wearing an elf suit.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

118:

Yes, Racheld! Congrats! :smile: #118. "V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A" and "What's veal?" (To himself) "Uh... God. What the hell is veal?" from Children Of A Lesser God starring William Hurt and Marlee Matlin. The couple go out to a restaurant for dinner. "Veal piccata" is both signed and spoken. She doesn't know what veal piccata is, and neither of them know what veal is. (Obviously they are not egulleteers.)

Question: Does anybody know the meaning of the title of this film? I don't recall that it was ever explained.

I think #125 is "Flirting with Disaster"? Or some title really close to that. Ben Stiller was in it?

Yes!

Congratulations!

you got it!

#125 is FLIRTING w/DISASTER

It's when mary tyler moore's neurotic character (mother of ben stiller's character) is being a bit defensive about Tea leoni's character's documenting her son's quest for his biological parents...possibly one of the best cast and fun(niest) movies...ever!