• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

I'm going to take a stab at this. I haven't seen it in a while so I could be way off...

Goodfellas ?

Sorry, JohnnyD, not Goodfellas (though Goodfellas does have one or two good clues that could lead to it, itself).

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

"he had this great system for slicing garlic."

... and here's one of 'em. Goodfellas. "... real thin with a razor blade so that it melted in the oil" (in the sauce / in the pan?) - Ray Liotta's voice-over

New clue: (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker): Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Is #95 possibly from :

The 'burbs

Aha!!! Congratulations, you are correct. One of Tom Hanks' earlier appearances, and a film that I love for some strange reason.

The original clue refers to the scene where a group of neighbours visits the Klopeks. Hans, the nephew, hands around a tin of sardines and a bag of pretzels, which are entertainingly consumed by a gurning Hanks.

Si

Edited by Simon_S (log)

Here are two more for the collection:

* A dinner of spaghetti and raw garlic

*Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano( also in same film, pate and corn nuts(BQ)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

How about "Plate O' Shrimp"? Or cans of generic "Food"?

repo man?

Hooo, Boy this has been a long game! :blink:

Repo Man surfaced around post #30something and Diner around #60something.

If we made a movie about this thread we'd implode! :cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I'm not ready to declare a winner on #116. "A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom." Racheld and Caroled, you are very close. But please name which film version features this particular menu. You can give the year or the name of the star.  Also (hint) there were no sausages. :wink:

It's the Shirley one. There were definitely sausages in the color one, cause I saw 'em.

And caroled has gone to get her new glasses, and can't answer right now, so I'm chiming in to say she's right on this AND on the milk carton/bullet thing.

Unless there are other clues which would narrow the answer to ONLY ONE possible solution, you hafta give credit for any that fit the parameters.

And I'm getting crosseyed in my old age---all the clues sprinkled together, line after line---are they for ONE movie, or for several. Could we have a delineation between to mark changes to the next?

Humor me. I'm old.

A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin. Posted this above, but can't see it as answered or included in the recap.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A plate of marshmallow treats, covered in waxed paper, taken to a party.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Goat's milk drunk from a bowl. Sports fans HATE this movie.

Edited to remove a clue for a movie posted above by someone else; totally different clue, however.

Marge's breakfast is FARGO. "Ya godda have a breakfast."

"The prowl needs a jump."

Edited by racheld (log)

A recap for the start of the day:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

New clues have been added to some movies!

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-caroled solved #117 (A coffee plantation) as the film "Out of Africa" and has solved #95 (A sardine and a mini-pretzel. CLUE: Another food-related scene of this film has someone eating from a bowl meant for the family dog) as the film "The 'burbs"

-racheld solved #119 (Champagne, champignons, and the Champs-Elysées. "Champs-Elysées? I wonder what they taste like") as the animated film "Gay-Purree"

-insomniac got #120 (Nipples of Venus showed up in another movie. Anybody care to name that movie?) as the film "Chocolat"

-Nicola Kountoupes has correctly guessed that #111 (Numerous brands of bottled water, including Perrier, Evian, Glacier, Vittel, and Volvic) is the film "The Player"

-insomniac has solved #113 (There's a bet involving cheesecake and strudel) as the film "Guys and Dolls"

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-caroled has guessed that #116 is from "The Little Princess" but djyee 100 says close, but no cigar...needs more clarification which racheld provided...the ball is in djyee 100's court!

-Nicola Kountoupes has guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money"

-dockhl has guessed that #127 is "The Birdcage"

-Blether has guessed that #126 is "Goodfellas"

-racheld has guessed that #124 is "Fargo"

We know:

#66 is not "Hairspray" nor is it "Goodfellas"

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

114. An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake

CLUE: Lollipop

116. A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom

118. V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A

121. A turkey wing, walnut dressing & lemon soda. There's also an egg and onion sandwich. But food doesn't play a big part in this movie...alcohol plays a bigger part.

122. "you'll eat it rare. to feed your blood"

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

124. "you gotta eat breakfast, margie. I'll make you some eggs."

125. "I'd like to hear you psycho-analyse us. what would you say, huh? overbearing, controlling, my husband is a cheese phobic?"

CLUE: same movie as the lsd laced quail.

126. "he had this great system for slicing garlic."

127. "DONT be DELICATE!!!"

CLUE: in reference to someone's drinking style

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

129. A dinner of spaghetti and raw garlic

130. Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano( also in same film, pate and corn nuts(BQ)

131. Tubs of whipped cream, eaten before a flickering tv set.

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

134. A plate of marshmallow treats, covered in waxed paper, taken to a party.

135. Goat's milk drunk from a bowl. Sports fans HATE this movie.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to delete a line

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

aaah, just realised 113 is Guys and Dolls...I'm getting slower in my dotage

Yes, you got it and I posted your success in the recap. Nathan Detroit was trying to get Sky Masterson to make a sucker bet.

I am guessing that #122 ("you'll eat it rare. to feed your blood") is "Moonstruck" (again)

Edited to make a Guy a Sky (thanks Rachel!) :wink:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I am guessing that #122 ("you'll eat it rare. to feed your blood") is "Moonstruck" (again)

Yes, you got it.. #122 IS.Moonstruck.

to Confirm:

#124 IS Fargo--sorry for the innacurate quote, Joel and Ethan would not like that.

#126 IS Goodfellas

#127, "DON'T be delicate!" is NOT Birdcage

another clue: it is yelled at close range.

Is all that candy and the clue being lolly-pop...is that Chitty Bang-Bang?

No.

The film is quite, quite a bit older than "Chitty...". :rolleyes:

edited to add that the film being discussed is #114, to clarify things.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

The end-of-day recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

--racheld for correctly solving #124 ("you gotta eat breakfast, margie. I'll make you some eggs") as the film "Fargo".

-Blether correctly solved #126 ("he had this great system for slicing garlic.") as the film "Goodfellas".

dsqure got it, as well.

-Toliver solved #122 ("you'll eat it rare. to feed your blood") as the film "Moonstruck".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-caroled has guessed that #116 is from "The Little Princess" but djyee 100 says close, but no cigar...needs more clarification which racheld provided...the ball is in djyee 100's court!

-Nicola Kountoupes has guessed that #110 is "Friends with Money" and that #116 is "The Pianist"

We know:

#66 is not "Hairspray" nor is it "Goodfellas"

#110 is not "Big" nor is it "Tuesdays with Morrie"

#127 is not "Birdcage"

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

CLUE: For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

CLUE: Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

114. An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake

116. A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom

118. V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A

121. A turkey wing, walnut dressing & lemon soda. There's also an egg and onion sandwich. But food doesn't play a big part in this movie...alcohol plays a bigger part.

CLUE (Someone will get it now): Pooka

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

125. "I'd like to hear you psycho-analyse us. what would you say, huh? overbearing, controlling, my husband is a cheese phobic?"

CLUE: same movie as the lsd laced quail.

127. "DONT be DELICATE!!!"

CLUE: in reference to someone's drinking style

CLUE: it is yelled at close range.

128. (ordered from the driver's seat. '//' indicates change of speaker):

Two hamburgers, a milkshake and two coffees // What kind of milkshake? // Chocolate // How about some fries? // Why not?

129. A dinner of spaghetti and raw garlic

130. Mom's making my favorite, spaghetti with lots of oregano( also in same film, pate and corn nuts(BQ)

131. Tubs of whipped cream, eaten before a flickering tv set.

132. How about several scenes of pork pies and a glass of sherry before a lit fireplace?

133. A skillet of dogfood, a tiger and a violin.

135. Goat's milk drunk from a bowl. Sports fans HATE this movie.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Could be Edward Scissorhands - if "ambrosia" counts as marshmallow treats

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Clue for #98 - one main character is named Jeffrey Matthews.........

O.K. one more clue, Cliff Roberston is in this movie too.

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Is this Bright Eyes? In which Shirley Temple sings "The Good Ship Lollipop?"

Johanna

Johanna

I'm not ready to declare a winner on #116. "A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom." Racheld and Caroled, you are very close. But please name which film version features this particular menu. You can give the year or the name of the star.   Also (hint) there were no sausages. :wink:

It's the Shirley one. There were definitely sausages in the color one, cause I saw 'em.

Yes. #116. "A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom." --from A Little Princess (1939) starring Shirley Temple. These foods were pointed out specifically in the dialogue between Sara (Shirley Temple) and Becky. The 1995 film version starring Liesel Matthews featured sausages, fruit, and muffins.

Unless there are other clues which would narrow the answer to ONLY ONE possible solution, you hafta give credit for any that fit the parameters.

The 1995 film did not feature the same menu as the 1939 film. It was obvious from your initial answer that you were not thinking of the same movie that I was. However, rather than say flat out that you were wrong, which could have been misleading since you were so close, I chose to give you a big hint to look elsewhere. Sometimes the devil is in the details. :smile:

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Clue for #98 - one main character is named Jeffrey Matthews.........

O.K. one more clue, Cliff Roberston is in this movie too.

Oh, yeah -- luau + Cliff Robertson = Gidget

I'm kind of embarrassed that I knew this.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The 1995 film did not feature the same menu as the 1939 film. It was obvious from your initial answer that you were not thinking of the same movie that I was. However, rather than say flat out that you were wrong, which could have been misleading since you were so close, I chose to give you a big hint to look elsewhere. Sometimes the devil is in the details. :smile:

My request was referring to the denial of Kiss The Girls which exactly fit the bullet-through-the-milk-carton clue, as did The Manchurian Candidate, which Toliver meant when he posted the clue.

KTG was denied, though it FIT the only clue we were given. I'm just sayin'. Fair's fair.