• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

A coffee plantation:

Out of Africa or maybe Elephant Walk

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

I'm going to take a stab at this. I haven't seen it in a while so I could be way off...

Goodfellas ?

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

More clues. Here's one:

* A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom.*

Here's another:

* A coffee plantation.*

Another one:

* V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A.*

One more:

* Champagne, champignons, and the Champs-Elysées. "Champs-Elysées? I wonder what they taste like."

The last one:

* "Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?"*

Sorry---with "More Clues" I thought they were all the same movie. I was trying to get a handle on "The Little Princess" goes "Out of Africa" via "Gay Purr-ee" with Nick and Nora.

What the teacher can't teach you, and the preacher can't preach you, the Money Cat can!!"

Sorry for the confusion---It resembled a Quad-feature for a while there. :blink:

Kippers, onions, and muffins in an attic bedroom, (served with sausages as well as warm robes and slippers to Sarah Crewe and her friend Becky) is from one of my childhood and still favorites:

The Little Princess

Couldn't you just smell the aromas coming from the screen

And don"t forget Miss Minchen's boiled egg for breakfast and the beautiful cake at Sarah's birthday party

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

A new movie puzzle:

A carton of milk...with a bullet hole in it.

Kiss the Girls

This one was a Twofer---how about Manchurian Candidate---the original, with an uncharacteristically grim Angela Lansbury.

"The Manchurian Candidate" is the one I was thinking of so you are correct Racheld.

The man (a US Senator) is holding the carton of milk in front of him when he is shot, the bullet going through the carton and into him. Great imagery of the milk spurting out representing his life blood draining away.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The mid-morning recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-racheld for correctly solving #115 (A carton of milk...with a bullet hole in it) as the original version of "The Manchurian Candidate".

-insomniac correctly guessed that "Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?" is from the film "The Thin Man".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #110 is "Tuesdays with Morrie"

-caroled has guessed that #117 is either "Out of Africa" or maybe "Elephant Walk" and has also guessed that #116 is from "The Little Princess"

-johnnyd has guessed that #66 is "Goodfellas"

We know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

#110 is not "Big"

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

CLUE: Another food-related scene of this film has someone eating from a bowl meant for the family dog.

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

111. Numerous brands of bottled water, including Perrier, Evian, Glacier, Vittel, and Volvic.

113. There's a bet involving cheesecake and strudel.

114. An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake

116. A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom

117. A coffee plantation

118. V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A

119. Champagne, champignons, and the Champs-Elysées. "Champs-Elysées? I wonder what they taste like."

120. Nipples of Venus showed up in another movie. Anybody care to name that movie?

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

caroled's answer of Kiss The Girls was also correct for #115.

Ashley Judd is being held hostage by nasty old Cary Elwes, who has opened the gas controls and filled the kitchen with gas. Morgan Freeman fires through a full milk carton so as to avoid a spark when the gun fires.

Told ya it was a Twofer. :cool:

May I add one? Dogfood in a skillet, a tiger and a violin.

Ashley Judd is being held hostage by nasty old Cary Elwes, who has opened the gas controls and filled the kitchen with gas.  Morgan Freeman fires through a full milk carton so as to avoid a spark when the gun fires.

Ah, but because

a) I haven't seen "Kiss the Girls"

and

b) that wasn't the movie my original posted clue was concerning

she may have been technically correct but she wasn't correct for my posted clue.

Tim Oliver

117. A coffee plantation

It's a vague clue (could be anything) so I'm guessing "The Naked Jungle" with Charlton Heston and Eleanor Parker trying to escape the red ants.

Tim Oliver

CLUE: Another food-related scene of this film has someone eating from a bowl meant for the family dog.

Is that Down and Out in Beverly Hills?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Ashley Judd is being held hostage by nasty old Cary Elwes, who has opened the gas controls and filled the kitchen with gas.   Morgan Freeman fires through a full milk carton so as to avoid a spark when the gun fires.

Ah, but because

a) I haven't seen "Kiss the Girls"

and

b) that wasn't the movie my original posted clue was concerning

she may have been technically correct but she wasn't correct for my posted clue.

Oh, Tolliver!! I'm SO sorry!!! I had you down on my life-calendar as seeing that in March, 2004. My error. Carry on. :raz:

Our recap for the night:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

-caroled has guessed that #117 is either "Out of Africa" or maybe "Elephant Walk" and has also guessed that #116 is from "The Little Princess"

-Toliver has guessed that #117 is "The Naked Jungle"

-I_call_the_duck has guessed that #95 is "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"

-insomniac has guessed that #120 is "Chocolat"

We know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

#110 is not "Big"

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

CLUE: This line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

111. Numerous brands of bottled water, including Perrier, Evian, Glacier, Vittel, and Volvic.

113. There's a bet involving cheesecake and strudel.

114. An oldie: Bon-bons, peppermint, lemonade, crackerjacks, a chocolate bar, a sugar bowl, a tootsie roll and a devils food cake

116. A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom

117. A coffee plantation

118. V-E-A-L P-I-C-C-A-T-A

119. Champagne, champignons, and the Champs-Elysées. "Champs-Elysées? I wonder what they taste like."

120. Nipples of Venus showed up in another movie. Anybody care to name that movie?

121. A turkey wing, walnut dressing & lemon soda. There's also an egg and onion sandwich. But food doesn't play a big part in this movie...alcohol plays a bigger part.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Here you go:  "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

Well, no takers, so I'll wade in with a wild guess and say... Tom Hanks in 'Big'.

Good guess, but no. It's a more recent movie than that.

I'll add that this line was spoken towards the end of the movie during a $10,000/person charity dinner for Lou Gehrig's disease that was attended by the entire ensemble of characters.

Tuesdays with Morrie? I know that the film dealt with the disease but I don't recall the quote.

Sorry for the delay, but it isn't Tuesdays with Morrie.

For nearly the entire duration of the movie, one of the characters thought that the charity dinner was to raise funds for Alzheimer's rather than Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Also, on two separate instances, another character spoons into a tub of ice cream in front of the fridge and noshes on cookies while working at her desk as a coping mechanism for dealing with her insensitive husband.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Whew, that last set of clues went fast.

Yes, #117. "A coffee plantation", from Out of Africa with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. Congrats, Caroled! :smile: For the record, Elephant Walk was set on a tea plantation, and The Naked Jungle on a cocoa plantation.

Yes, #119. "Champagne, champignons, and the Champs-Elysées. 'Champs-Elysées? I wonder what they taste like.'" --from Gay Purr-ee featuring the voices of Judy Garland and Robert Goulet. Congrats, Racheld and Caroled! :smile: For people who haven't seen this movie, Gay Purr-ee is a Disney animated film from yesteryear, with a feline theme like The Aristocats.

Yes, #120. "Nipples of Venus" also appeared in Chocolat (not just in Amadeus, which was the solution for another entry). Congrats, insomniac! The count is making a pest of himself in the chocolate shop, and Vianne offers Nipples of Venus to him. He's horrified. She might as well have pulled out a gun. Oh, those Nipples of Venus. :laugh:

I'm not ready to declare a winner on #116. "A surprise of kippers, onions, and muffins in the attic bedroom." Racheld and Caroled, you are very close. But please name which film version features this particular menu. You can give the year or the name of the star. Also (hint) there were no sausages. :wink:

Our recap for the night:

-Toliver has guessed that #117 is "The Naked Jungle"

-I_call_the_duck has guessed that #95 is "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"

-insomniac has guessed that #120 is "Chocolat"

Friends with Money

The Player

Chitty-Bang Bang?

Amadeaus?

121. A turkey wing, walnut dressing & lemon soda. There's also an egg and onion sandwich. But food doesn't play a big part in this movie...alcohol plays a bigger part.

all my FRIENDS...barfly?

CLUES FROM Nicola:

"you'll eat it rare. to feed your blood"

"you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

"you gotta eat breakfast, margie. I'll make you some eggs."

"I'd like to hear you psycho-analyse us. what would you say, huh? overbearing, controlling, my husband is a cheese phobic?"

clue: same movie as the lsd laced quail.

"he had this great system for slicing garlic."

"Mildred Pierce" it is.

This would have been the next clue if no one got it:

"After that, only one thing was on my mind. To open the restaurant and make it successful. 'Short stack. Easy on the butter. Adam and Eve on a raft. Hit me hard.' '

nice.

great movie.

nk

The Player

That's it! From a New York Times article after the film was released:

"We did not have a big budget to make this picture," Mr. Altman said, "so we thought we could get some extra cash by using a couple of brands of bottled water."

After attempts to land a contract with bottled-water companies failed, "we noticed that the prop people were putting out a different bottled water in every scene," said David Levy, associate producer of the film. "We began to see how funny it was."

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Wow! I think you are right - although not my clue. This happens when Nick Nolte

is trying to show Matisse how to eat, I like the scene previous when Matisse

picks up the bowl and flings the food across the living room and the psychiatrist

tells him "oh, Matisse, you are so angry."

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I'm afraid not, although I think you're correct that DAOIBH also had an "eating from the dog's bowl" scene.

Here's another food-related clue for 95:

At one point, a plate of brownies is accidentally dropped on a porch.

Si