• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

# 101 Cocoa meetings

CLUE: they had many late night cocoa meetings, but when they meet for the last time, they drink tea

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Here's a new movie...

actress: And I take the sardines. No, I leave the sardines. No, I take the sardines.

director: You leave the sardines and you hang up the phone.

actress: Yes, right. I hang up the phone.

director: And you leave the sardines.

actress: I leave the sardines?

director: You leave the sardines.

actress: I hang up the phone and I leave the sardines?

director: Right!

actress: We've changed that, have we, dear?

director: No, dear...

Noises Off

Dave

Re #61, the only movie I can recall in which the characters don't eat the food is The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. I can't recall the specific foods, but still, that's my guess.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Here's a new movie...

actress: And I take the sardines. No, I leave the sardines. No, I take the sardines.

director: No, dear...

Noises Off

You got it Dsquare! One of my favorite comedy movies with Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeve, Michael Caine, etc.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

# 101 Cocoa meetings

CLUE: they had many late night cocoa meetings, but when they meet for the last time, they drink tea

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood?

No, sorry,

new clue: the actor in this movie has been brought up in this thread a number of times for another role, where he has some pretty disgusting eating habits.

Re #61, the only movie I can recall in which the characters don't eat the food is The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. I can't recall the specific foods, but still, that's my guess.

Congratulations! And for JohnnyD, the poisoned milk is from the scene where the three female characters are in a cafe, and order tea but the cafe is out of tea, so they order coffee but the cafe is out of tea, and at that point a young army officer comes over and recounts to them his dream in which his late father had appeared, told his son that he'd been murdered and ordered his son to poison the glass of milk on the murderer's bedside table.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Here you go:  "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

Well, no takers, so I'll wade in with a wild guess and say... Tom Hanks in 'Big'.

Probably more productively, I'll add another CLUE for #66 - before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

96. "I've got this great honey somewhere. You know about honey? There used to be these little animals who made it with antenna...and these other animals who ate it...one were bees the other were bears...I forget which ate it and which made it but..."

CLUE: The hero eats thai food while in his apartment and when he's finished, the "floating" thai restaurant that prepared the food flies away.

The Fifth Element?

Yes, you are correct!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here you go:  "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

Well, no takers, so I'll wade in with a wild guess and say... Tom Hanks in 'Big'.

Good guess, but no. It's a more recent movie than that.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A mid-morning recap to start your day and week off right:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-caroled for solving #79 (Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant CLUE: This scene follows a very bloody scene where our heroes have slain a white-frocked creature of the night. CLUE2: Said hero tells 2 distraught couple that their friend had been driven with a stake in her heart and head chopped off) as the film "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and for correctily solving #105 (Ham and grits just before leaving to go to a bar-b-que) as the film "Gone with the Wind".

-glossyp for solving #96 ("I've got this great honey somewhere. You know about honey? There used to be these little animals who made it with antenna...and these other animals who ate it...one were bees the other were bears...I forget which ate it and which made it but..." CLUE: The hero eats thai food while in his apartment and when he's finished, the "floating" thai restaurant that prepared the food flies away) as the sci-fi film "The Fifth Element".

-waterdogs correctly guessed that #93 (An orange Big Gulp, a big Cadillac, and big hair) is the film "Undercover Brother".

-dsquare has solved:

"actress: And I take the sardines. No, I leave the sardines. No, I take the sardines.

director: No, dear... "

as the film "Noises Off".

-Alex has correctly guessed that #61 ("The following items are on the menu in this movie..." see previous recap for entire clue) is "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie"

-racheld has solved #101 (Cocoa meetings CLUE: they had many late night cocoa meetings, but when they meet for the last time, they drink tea) is the film "Remains of the Day"

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-waterdogs has guessed that #99 is "Some Like It Hot"

-Blether has guessed that #110 is "Big"

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

99. " I always get the sticky end of the lollipop." same movie, the birthday boy is shot by men with machine guns bursting out of a cake. Pretty easy I think!

100. a bottle of white and a bottle of red, a dinner that nobody ate, a huge roast.

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

106. "Did you do something different?"

"I added peas."

"Ah, peas."

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

108. Capezzoli di Venere! Crema Mascarpone Speciale.

109. Turkey so heavy it cracks the Thanksgiving dinnertable in two.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to delete a movie no longer in play.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Tolliver---#79 IS solved by caroled, the ever-alert Gary Oldman fan.

Thanks for pointing this out. I edited the recap to make me look like I'm not going senile. :wink:

Since there hasn't been too much activity today, I'll post another recap in the morning.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

99. I think this one is "Some Like It Hot". Little Bonaparte has Spats taken out.

:biggrin: CONGRATULATIONS WATERDOGS! it is "Some Like it Hot" Sorry for the

delay in writing your accolades - I know you'll all feel sorry for me and the reason

why......I was just on Big Island holed up at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel forced to

eat wildly fabulous meals for a few days and see lots of whale action! No need to

guess the sticky lollipop either because it's the same movie - I was just trying to

give two clues. A hui ho and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Numerous brands of bottled water, including Perrier, Evian, Glacier, Vittel, and Volvic.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Our morning recap!

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

Some new clues have been added.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Domestic Goddess has solved #100 (a bottle of white and a bottle of red, a dinner that nobody ate, a huge roast. CLUE: Bruce gets blown up) as the film "Jaws".

-waterdogs correctly surmised that #99 (" I always get the sticky end of the lollipop." same movie, the birthday boy is shot by men with machine guns bursting out of a cake. Pretty easy I think!) was the film "Some Like it Hot".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Blether has guessed that #110 is "Big"

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

STILL UNSOLVED AND STILL IN PLAY:

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: before dinner's over, one of the diners gets (what the ever-heavyhanded Bond sriptwriters would call, were it a Bond movie which it isn't) 'the point'.

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

CLUE: Another food-related scene of this film has someone eating from a bowl meant for the family dog.

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

103. A stolen piece of meat - "Meat is meat"

106. "Did you do something different?"

"I added peas."

"Ah, peas."

107. Quails, fish paté, potato soup.

108. Capezzoli di Venere! Crema Mascarpone Speciale.

109. Turkey so heavy it cracks the Thanksgiving dinnertable in two.

110. "Is it just me, or is this food really small?"

111. Numerous brands of bottled water, including Perrier, Evian, Glacier, Vittel, and Volvic.

112. "I was a little liberal with the atomizer. And at my age, it's like a good Stilton.

Everything has its own aroma."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to edit an edit that was no longer valid :wink:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver