• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

The clue for Number 61 makes me think it is some sort of WW1 movie -- (so does the menu, really), so "anti war movies" is my defense (and I am sticking to it  :laugh: ) for having no idea!!! How else could I have missed that much food in a movie?

Another clue for item #61

If it's any consolation, the characters in the movie also miss most of the food for a variety of reasons beginning with a misunderstanding about which night the guests have been invited for dinner.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

A recap as the day ends...

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Human Bean has solved #92 ("for a relaxing time, make it santori time") as the film "Lost in Translation".

-GordonCooks has correctly guessed that #91 ("the World's Greatest Sandwich") is from the film "Spanglish".

-I_call_the_duck has solved "It is written, "He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth" as the hilarious film "What's Up, Tiger Lily?".

-racheld has solved "Finally being old enough to drink coffee. Is good? Is good." as the film "I Remember Mama".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Racheld has guessed that #78 is "The Brass Bottle".

-waterdogs has guessed that #83 is "Enemy at the Gate" and thinks that #61 is some sort of WWI movie.

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL TAUNTING US:

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: There's a long, long trail a-winding Into the land of my dreams

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

73. "Can someone hand me my Evian"

78. eyebowl soup served in a metal bowl

CLUE: This is an old movie. It is actually a remake of an older movie and is the inspiration for the tv show "I Dreamed of Jeannie".

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

81. Waiter, there's a turd in my soup

82. Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup

83. Try not to spill the soup, you Marxist bastard

84. "Why is there a watermelon there?" (no cheating by using Google!)

85. "they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall"

89. Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed.

Ice cream eaten from individual pints.

Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame.

hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers.

93. An orange Big Gulp, a big Cadillac, and big hair

94. "Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fitting neatly into interesting round pie."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Day's of wine and Roses???

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Another new movie food:

"It is written, "He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth."

edited to make the clue less obvious

I was just thinking about that one.

What's Up, Tiger Lily?

You got it! I always thought it was a very funny movie.

The full line from the movie is:

"It is written, 'He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth.'

Don't ask me why egg salad - I've got enough aggravation."

Yeah! I didn't even have to Google this one! :biggrin:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

94. "Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fitting neatly into interesting round pie."

Totally wild-@ss guess: Sixteen Candles.

It has the feeling of one of those quasi-Chinese stereotypes that are in American comedies, but I can't quite place it.

You are correct! The quote was from the character Long Duck Dong, the foreign exchange student, tasting quiche for the first time.

Another clue for the movie would have been "Grandma opens a box of doughnuts and says 'Voila. Breakfast is ready.' "

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Day's of wine and Roses???

Caroled, which movie clue are you referring to?

Tim Oliver

A new day, a new recap...

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-WHT for solving #84 ("Why is there a watermelon there?") as the film "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension".

-Human Bean for correcting guessing that #94 ("Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fitting neatly into interesting round pie") as the film "Sixteen Candles".

-waterdogs has correctly guessed that #83 ("Try not to spill the soup, you Marxist bastard") is "Enemy at the Gate".

-insomniac has solved #85 ("they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall" NEW CLUES: It's a 1980's Movie - It was already suggested before as an (incorrect) guess above - There are numerous references to Mickey Mouse throughout the film) as the film "Full Metal Jacket".

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: If it's any consolation, the characters in the movie also miss most of the food for a variety of reasons beginning with a misunderstanding about which night the guests have been invited for dinner.

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

CLUE: They're outside. It's daylight. There are two kids, and two adults.

CLUE: This is an old movie. It is actually a remake of an older movie and is the inspiration for the tv show "I Dreamed of Jeannie".

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

89. Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed.

Ice cream eaten from individual pints.

Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame.

hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers.

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

96. "I've got this great honey somewhere. You know about honey? There used to be these little animals who made it with antenna...and these other animals who ate it...one were bees the other were bears...I forget which ate it and which made it but..."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Tim Oliver

New movie:

"I had no idea those beer cans would blow like that."

"You left them on a vibrating bed. What did you think would happen?"

"It just didn't occur to me."

Tim Oliver

A new day, a new recap...

CLUE: If it's any consolation, the characters in the movie also miss most of the food for a variety of reasons beginning with a misunderstanding about which night the guests have been invited for dinner.

Gosford Park???

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

How about the character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into

her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

another one : " I always get the sticky end of the lollipop."

same movie, the birthday boy is shot by men with machine

guns bursting out of a cake. Pretty easy I think! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

New movie:

Between 2 pillows...

Those aren't pillows !!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

New movie:

Between 2 pillows...

Those aren't pillows !!

You are correct!

"As much trouble as I've had on this little journey, I'm sure one day I'll look back and laugh."

"You think so?"

"Oh, I'm laughing already."

"Oh, God."

"Oh, when that car blew up."

"Was that seat hot or what?"

"I feel like a big Whopper. Turn me over. I'm done on this side."

"I'm afraid to look at my ass. I'm going to have those griddle marks on my ass."

"Ha ha ha. Potato chips."

"They're everywhere!"

Tim Oliver

New movie:

Between 2 pillows...

Those aren't pillows !!

You are correct!

"As much trouble as I've had on this little journey, I'm sure one day I'll look back and laugh."

"You think so?"

"Oh, I'm laughing already."

"Oh, God."

"Oh, when that car blew up."

"Was that seat hot or what?"

"I feel like a big Whopper. Turn me over. I'm done on this side."

"I'm afraid to look at my ass. I'm going to have those griddle marks on my ass."

"Ha ha ha. Potato chips."

"They're everywhere!"

The people train run outta St-St-St-Stubbville lol

#89 is Grey Gardens - Jerry loved big Edith's corn on the cob almost as much as the raccoons loved wonder bread :wink:

ETC - "grey" not "gray"

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#89 is Grey Gardens - Jerry loved big Edith's corn on the cob almost as much as the raccoons loved wonder bread :wink:

ETC - "grey" not "gray"

YAY!! I was really hoping someone knew this. Albert Maysle recently released another DVD with previously unseen footage that is just as intriguing and absorbing as the first.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

A new movie:

"...tell him to bring me a light breakfast -- black coffee and a sidecar."

Tim Oliver

And the game keeps going! Here's the evening recap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-GordonCooks for solving:

as the hilarious film "Planes, Trains and Automobiles".

-moosnsqrl correctly guessed that #89 (Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed. Ice cream eaten from individual pints. Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame. hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers) is the infamous film/documentary "Grey Gardens".

-waterdogs has guessed that #61 is "Gosford Park".

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

HAUNTING OUR DREAMS SINCE THEY AREN"T SOLVED YET:

CLUE: They're outside. It's daylight. There are two kids, and two adults.

95. A sardine and a mini-pretzel.

96. "I've got this great honey somewhere. You know about honey? There used to be these little animals who made it with antenna...and these other animals who ate it...one were bees the other were bears...I forget which ate it and which made it but..."

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

98. The character has various meats (steaks, a roast) stuffed into her sweater from the family fridge to take to a 'luau'.........

99. " I always get the sticky end of the lollipop." same movie, the birthday boy is shot by men with machine guns bursting out of a cake. Pretty easy I think!

100. a bottle of white and a bottle of red, a dinner that nobody ate, a huge roast.

101. Cocoa meetings

102. "...tell him to bring me a light breakfast -- black coffee and a sidecar."

Tim Oliver

Is it The Parent Trap

And here's another one:

A stolen piece of meat

"Meat is meat"

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Is it The Parent Trap

Yes! The remake. Congrats!

My favorite part of the movie is when the housekeeper, Chessie, waves goodbye to the Dad, twins and fiancee and says "I would pay big money to see that woman climb a mountain!!"

More clues to:

CLUE: This scene follows a very bloody scene where our heroes have slain a white-frocked creature of the night.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos