• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

A mid-day recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

A new clue has been added to #66.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-caroled for solving #68 (pizza delivered to class) as the film "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" (waterdogs got it after caroled did).

She also solved #72 (A decapitated chopped-liver chicken CLUE: The chopped liver chicken was on a party buffet, and was decapitated by the hostess' slightly-sleazy son-in-law, BEFORE the guests could even see it. She never liked him much, anyway) as the film "Terms of Endearment".

-JeanneCake for solving #90 (Eggs frying on a formica counter) as the film "Ghostbusters".

-insomniac has correctly guessed that #67 (A cherry snow cone CLUE: They had snow cones (hers was cherry) because it was still so hot, even though it was night time. CLUE: She got some of the cherry snow cone on her dress. When he came back with a damp paper towel to clean it up, she was gone) was the film "Body Heat".

She also solved "monkey's brains, though popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often to be found in washington d.c.!" as the film "Clue".

-petite tête de chou correctly guessed that "spaghetti with maple syrup" is from the film "Elf".

-Mooshmouse has solved "Guatemalan peasant soup (-"is that an egg?" -"indeed, it is a huevo!")" as "The Bird Cage".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Racheld has guessed that #78 is "The Brass Bottle".

-Human Bean has guessed that #92 is "Lost in Translation".

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL TAUNTING US:

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: There's a long, long trail a-winding Into the land of my dreams

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

73. "Can someone hand me my Evian"

78. eyebowl soup served in a metal bowl

CLUE: This is an old movie. It is actually a remake of an older movie and is the inspiration for the tv show "I Dreamed of Jeannie".

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

81. Waiter, there's a turd in my soup

82. Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup

83. Try not to spill the soup, you Marxist bastard

84. "Why is there a watermelon there?" (no cheating by using Google!)

85. "they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall"

89. Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed.

Ice cream eaten from individual pints.

Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame.

hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers.

91. "the World's Greatest Sandwich"

92. "for a relaxing time, make it santori time."

93. An orange Big Gulp, a big Cadillac, and big hair

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

83---> Is related to a scene in "Enemy at the Gate" -- not my guess but I am *assured* this is right? Hmmm....I am not too much on war movies myself.

The clue for Number 61 makes me think it is some sort of WW1 movie -- (so does the menu, really), so "anti war movies" is my defense (and I am sticking to it :laugh: ) for having no idea!!! How else could I have missed that much food in a movie?

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

New movie food:

"Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fitting neatly into interesting round pie."

Tim Oliver

Another new movie food:

"It is written, "He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth."

edited to make the clue less obvious

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Another movie:

Finally being old enough to drink coffee.

Is good?

Is good.

Tim Oliver

Another new movie food:

"It is written, "He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth."

I was just thinking about that one.

What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Another new movie food:

I was just thinking about that one.

What's Up, Tiger Lily?

You got it! I always thought it was a very funny movie.

The full line from the movie is:

"It is written, 'He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth.'

Don't ask me why egg salad - I've got enough aggravation."

Tim Oliver

- Guatemalan peasant soup (-"is that an egg?"   -"indeed, it is a huevo!")

The Birdcage!

"Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?" :laugh:

We routinely refer to aspirin as "pirin tablets" around our house because of this hysterical film.

And don't forget the great dinnerware in which this soup was served. :biggrin:

Coffee-drinking was a wonderful coming-of-age moment in I Remember Mama.

Is good! You're right.

Tim Oliver

A recap as the day ends...

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Human Bean has solved #92 ("for a relaxing time, make it santori time") as the film "Lost in Translation".

-GordonCooks has correctly guessed that #91 ("the World's Greatest Sandwich") is from the film "Spanglish".

-I_call_the_duck has solved "It is written, "He who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth" as the hilarious film "What's Up, Tiger Lily?".

-racheld has solved "Finally being old enough to drink coffee. Is good? Is good." as the film "I Remember Mama".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-Racheld has guessed that #78 is "The Brass Bottle".

-waterdogs has guessed that #83 is "Enemy at the Gate" and thinks that #61 is some sort of WWI movie.

We also know:

#66 is not "Hairspray".

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL TAUNTING US:

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: There's a long, long trail a-winding Into the land of my dreams

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

CLUE: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

73. "Can someone hand me my Evian"

78. eyebowl soup served in a metal bowl

CLUE: This is an old movie. It is actually a remake of an older movie and is the inspiration for the tv show "I Dreamed of Jeannie".

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

81. Waiter, there's a turd in my soup

82. Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup

83. Try not to spill the soup, you Marxist bastard

85. "they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall"

89. Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed.

Ice cream eaten from individual pints.

Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame.

hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers.

93. An orange Big Gulp, a big Cadillac, and big hair

94. "Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fitting neatly into interesting round pie."

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

I guess this clue isn't really fair - it's a total non-sequitur during a chase/action scene. (We'll return to it later.)

New (vaguely food-related) clue: A Rasta delivers a pink cake box.

I guess this clue isn't really fair - it's a total non-sequitur during a chase/action scene. (We'll return to it later.)

New (vaguely food-related) clue: A Rasta delivers a pink cake box.

Buckaroo bonsai

Living hard will take its toll...

"Why is there a watermelon there?" (no cheating by using Google!)

[...] New (vaguely food-related) clue: A Rasta delivers a pink cake box.

Buckaroo bonsai

Sorry, I'll have to deduct a point for spelling, and a half-point for completeness, but you are indeed correct! It is in fact The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

Now, about that watermelon: If you check out the DVD commentary (or the Web) there are a couple of explanations for why a watermelon makes a brief and easily-missed cameo appearance. Also, a DVD Easter egg (and the Web) give a recipe for "chicken in a watermelon" that is said to exceed expectations for such an odd dish.

Congrats, WHT!

94. "Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fitting neatly into interesting round pie."

Totally wild-@ss guess: Sixteen Candles.

It has the feeling of one of those quasi-Chinese stereotypes that are in American comedies, but I can't quite place it.

83---> Is related to a scene in "Enemy at the Gate" -- not my guess but I am *assured* this is right? Hmmm....I am not too much on war movies myself. 

The clue for Number 61 makes me think it is some sort of WW1 movie -- (so does the menu, really), so "anti war movies" is my defense (and I am sticking to it  :laugh: ) for having no idea!!! How else could I have missed that much food in a movie?

you have been *assured* CORRECTLY wdogs...well done old chap...No. 83 is indeeed Enemy at the Gate

Time for some clues?

- It's a 1980's Movie

- It was already suggested before as an (incorrect) guess above

- There are numerous references to Mickey Mouse throughout the film

Time for some clues?

- It's a 1980's Movie

- It was already suggested before as an (incorrect) guess above

- There are numerous references to Mickey Mouse throughout the film

ahaa is it Full Metal Jacket, HB??