• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

is no. 88 'The Goonies' when Chunk throws the Baby Ruth to Sloth and it hits him on his head??

and is No. 77 O-oooklahoma cos that's the only movie I can think of with a picnic basket auction (Curly is the highest bidder)...........where the wind comes sweeping down the plain etc etc

and, last guess; is no. 49 Stalag 17, a real stab in the dark??

You got both of them right! I am amazed you got "The Goonies" on such a barebones clue. Well done!

I have a secret vice.....kid's movies, actually I love the Goonies

#86 Tampopo's little boy had a rice omelette made for him on the sly.

Yes! Way to go, ptdc! That was one of my favorite scenes in a movie filled with wonderful scenes.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

#86 Tampopo's little boy had a rice omelette made for him on the sly.

Yes! Way to go, ptdc! That was one of my favorite scenes in a movie filled with wonderful scenes.

It was such an unexpected and delightful scene.

Hm. I've got one to add to the pile...

Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed.

Ice cream eaten from individual pints.

Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame.

hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers. :wink:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

As we segue into the evening, here's the latest recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, I don't give it a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

**Some new clues have been added to the movies still in play

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-petite tête de chou correctly solved #87 (an omelette, cooked on the sly) as the film "Tampopo".

-insomniac came sweeping down the plain to solve #77 (Butter being churned MODIFIED CLUE: picnic hampers containing- "...some ole meat pies and apple jelly..." & "...cold duck with stuffin'and that lemon meringue pie." CLUE: The picnic hampers were up for auction CLUE: He sold his saddle and his gun for money right then and there so he could bid on her picnic basket) as the film "Oklahoma!".

She also solved #88 (A Baby Ruth candy bar is shared with a new friend while imprisoned by the bad guys) as the film "The Goonies".

PLUS, she finally solved #49 (How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock" CLUE: "hearty bean soup with ham hock") as the film "Stalag 17".

It no longer taunts us!

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-reefpimp has guessed that #66 is "Hairspray".

We also know:

#67 is not "Memoirs of a Geisha" or "Monsters, Inc."

#68 is not "I Love You to Death"

AS YET UNSOLVED AND STILL TAUNTING US:

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie:

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

CLUE: There's a long, long trail a-winding Into the land of my dreams

66. Pizza with "stinky junk, bits of sweaty sausage, a little tomato, nice, fresh spaghetti, an old cheese rind, lettuce that's good and rotten, one olive..."

67. A cherry snow cone

CLUE: They had snow cones (hers was cherry) because it was still so hot, even though it was night time.

CLUE: She got some of the cherry snow cone on her dress. When he came back with a damp paper towel to clean it up, she was gone.

68. "Who is it?"

"Mr. Pizza."

"Again?"

"Mr. Pizza, sir!...Okay, who had the double cheese sausage and bologna?"

CLUE: "Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?

"Learning about Cuba. Having some food."

CLUE: "...You're on dangerous ground here. You're causing a major disturbance

in my class and on my time."

"I've been thinking about this, Mr. Hand. If I'm here... and you're here...doesn't that make it our time? So I thought I'd order us a pizza.

Just leave me a lot of bologna..."

72. A decapitated chopped-liver chicken

CLUE: The chopped liver chicken was on a party buffet, and was decapitated by the hostess' slightly-sleazy son-in-law, BEFORE the guests could even see it. She never liked him much, anyway.

73. "Can someone hand me my Evian"

78. eyebowl soup served in a metal bowl

CLUE: This is an old movie. It is actually a remake of an older movie and is the inspiration for the tv show "I Dreamed of Jeannie".

79. Extremely bloody piece of beef being roughly hewn in a very genteel restaurant

81. Waiter, there's a turd in my soup

82. Waiter, there's a fly (yes, really) in my soup

83. Try not to spill the soup, you Marxist bastard

84. "Why is there a watermelon there?" (no cheating by using Google!)

85. "they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall"

89. Corn on the cob cooked in a pot, on a hot plate, while in bed.

Ice cream eaten from individual pints.

Liver pate and cat food shown in the same frame.

hint: contrary to the films name, it is *not* about flowers.

90. Eggs frying on a formica counter

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

edited to add a new movie food

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

#68 Fast Times at Ridgemont High

#72 Terms of Endearment.......... For some reason, I have always remembered that scene as being of a fish mold, something like a salmon mousse, with an olive slice as the eye. That is why I haven't guessed this on before,but the rest of the description fits.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-reefpimp has guessed that #66 is "Hairspray".

Sorry everyone, and sorry, Reefpimp. I didn't recognise '66' as my clue (and I'm grateful Toliver has prodded me to respond). No, it's not Hairspray.

Additional clue: the original order was for a Neapolitan, no anchovies; and a Margarita with anchovies, and "can I have ham too ?"

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Is this Ghostbusters, where Signourney Weaver comes home and begins to unload her groceries. The eggs in their carton start jumping out and cooking on the counter while her refrigerator starts making noises and when she opens it, she hears the word "Zule!" and goes racing out of the apartment.

Cue music!

68. "Who is it?"

"Mr. Pizza."

"Again?"

"Mr. Pizza, sir!...Okay, who had the double cheese sausage and bologna?"

CLUE: "Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?

"Learning about Cuba. Having some food."

CLUE: "...You're on dangerous ground here. You're causing a major disturbance

in my class and on my time."

"I've been thinking about this, Mr. Hand. If I'm here... and you're here...doesn't that make it our time? So I thought I'd order us a pizza.

Just leave me a lot of bologna..."

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and Spicoli's pizza. Mr Hand finally rang a bell. Goodness, we almost had to have the whole script for this one.

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

i just read through the entire thread in one read-- this is amazing! i got the tootsie reference immediately, and wanted to post the back to the future pepsi/tab one (it's one of my all time faves). here's some more that i thought of (one movie quote and two meals from movies):

-"monkey's brains, though popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often to be found in washington d.c.!"

- spaghetti with maple syrup

- Guatemalan peasant soup (-"is that an egg?" -"indeed, it is a huevo!")

(edited for typos)

Edited by shoutsandmurmurs (log)

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

is No. 67 Body Heat or should I throw my Sherlock Holmes hat out the window??

Great ending (for a woman hehe)

and i think the monkey brains lines are spoken by Tim Curry's butler in Clue

Edited by insomniac (log)

- Guatemalan peasant soup (-"is that an egg?"  -"indeed, it is a huevo!")

The Birdcage!

"Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?" :laugh:

We routinely refer to aspirin as "pirin tablets" around our house because of this hysterical film.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Then is #78 The Brass Bottle? I can't think why I do not remember that eyeball soup, but I remember learning a new word.

Tony Randall speaks of his genie, and lets slip to a colleague, "He's my seneschal."

Consternation follows, and he recovers, "My friend, Sam Seneschal."

#68 Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Correct. Spicoli orders pizza delivered to the classroom.

Tim Oliver

Is this Ghostbusters, where Signourney Weaver comes home and begins to unload her groceries. The eggs in their carton start jumping out and cooking on the counter while her refrigerator starts making noises and when she opens it, she hears the word "Zule!" and goes racing out of the apartment.

Cue music!

You are correct!

Tim Oliver

is No. 67 Body Heat or should I throw my Sherlock Holmes hat out the window??

Great ending (for a woman hehe)

You are correct. Well done!

Tim Oliver