• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

The following items are on the menu in this movie

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

OLD CLUE: 44. String cheese. NEW CLUE: Make cheese, not war.

Mousehunt starring Nathan Lane, Lee Evans and Christopher Walken (delightful role as a quirky rodent/vermin exterminator).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

54. Popcorn, in vast quantities. Cooked in tin foil.

Is this from Real Genius?

Val Kilmer and a bunch of teen geniuses at a school for the uber-smart figure out how to circumvent a professor's planned theft of a laser type of weapon. They aim it instead at the professor's house, which has been outfitted with a giant Jiffy Pop popcorn sort of thing. When the laser fires, it cooks the popcorn and there's so much of it that it pours out the windows and doors, and the kids in the neighborhood play in it like it's snow!

OLD CLUE: 44. String cheese. NEW CLUE: Make cheese, not war.

Mousehunt starring Nathan Lane, Lee Evans and Christopher Walken (delightful role as a quirky rodent/vermin exterminator).

Yes, Domestic Goddess! 44."String cheese" and "Make cheese, not war" from Mouse Hunt. Congrats! :smile: yes, many good performances and funny lines in that movie.

#42, could it be My Favorite Year??

Nope, sorry, caroled, that's not the movie.

*OLD CLUE: 42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus. NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)* is still in play.

54. Popcorn, in vast quantities. Cooked in tin foil.

Is this from Real Genius?

Val Kilmer and a bunch of teen geniuses at a school for the uber-smart figure out how to circumvent a professor's planned theft of a laser type of weapon. They aim it instead at the professor's house, which has been outfitted with a giant Jiffy Pop popcorn sort of thing. When the laser fires, it cooks the popcorn and there's so much of it that it pours out the windows and doors, and the kids in the neighborhood play in it like it's snow!

That is it! A very young Val Kilmer. Good Stuff.

Robin Tyler McWaters

as I spent most of my childhood out behind the breaks on a board with my legs dangling in the water and have watched every surfing movie known to man I think the meatball sandwiches are from Point Break..... the movie's title is referring to the great right point break at Bells Beach where the end of the movie is set. Is that No. 36??

Edited by insomniac (log)

For #6, which is driving us CRAZY. (I dunno, it just stuck in my mind as a beautiful expression of what it means to be limitlessly rich, to someone who has *no idea* what being rich means. "...mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes". Ha ha !

Ahem. Just for you, I_call_the_duck: one of the filming locations is a place whose name, in real life, is 'Rest and be Thankful'.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

For #6, which is driving us CRAZY.  (I dunno, it just stuck in my mind as a beautiful expression of what it means to be limitlessly rich, to someone who has *no idea* what being rich means.  "...mashed potatoes.  Naw, CREAMED potatoes".  Ha ha !

Ahem.  Just for you, I_call_the_duck: one of the filming locations is a place whose name, in real life, is 'Rest and be Thankful'.

The only vague guess was "Far and Away" with Cruise/Kidman. So many plot points relating to potato famine in this rags to riches story with Irish accents but it's newer than 1980

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

The only vague guess was "Far and Away" with Cruise/Kidman

Sorry, GordonCooks, that's a good try, and headed in the right direction. Personally I've a feeling I saw Far and Away, but didn't come away overly impressed. Was Tom in a New York bareknuckle fight ?

Edit: oh yeah, and scenes of kelp-harvesting at the beginning so comical as to bring back memories of the mud-collecting in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Edited by Blether (log)

For #6, which is driving us CRAZY.  (I dunno, it just stuck in my mind as a beautiful expression of what it means to be limitlessly rich, to someone who has *no idea* what being rich means.  "...mashed potatoes.  Naw, CREAMED potatoes".  Ha ha !

Ahem.  Just for you, I_call_the_duck: one of the filming locations is a place whose name, in real life, is 'Rest and be Thankful'.

A little googling and some process of elimination leads me to believe that it is Restless Natives, a Scottish film whose only cast member I recognize is Ned Beatty.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

as I spent most of my childhood out behind the breaks on a board with my legs dangling in the water and have watched every surfing movie known to man I think the meatball sandwiches are from Point Break..... the movie's title is referring to the great right point break at Bells Beach where the end of the movie is set. Is that No. 36??

Correct!

Restless Natives

You did it, didn't you ? :biggrin: A charming little gem thet got a very belated DVD release in 2005.

Our heroes are deep into their series of audacious motorbike-mounted tourist coach heists. A solitary policeman comes into their joke shop and takes his time browsing over items such as the masks (two of which, clown and wolfman, are just the same as those used in the robberies).

Tension mounts as the two lads look about shiftily, nervously occupying their hands, convinced the game is up. Finally the lawman steps slowly and deliberately up to the counter, eyeballs one of them and asks... "do you have any false tits ?"

(And Gordon - maybe HannaBanana's issue was with the contention that many of the 'accents' in Far and Away could be called Irish ?)

Edited by Blether (log)

The only vague guess was "Far and Away" with Cruise/Kidman. So many plot points relating to potato famine in this rags to riches story with Irich accents but it's newer than  1980

I think I'd have to take issue with that comment! :wink:

I apologize - edited! :smile:

If you tell me "you're a roight little corker Shannon", I might forgive you! :laugh:

(And Gordon - maybe HannaBanana's issue was with the contention that many of the 'accents' in Far and Away could be called Irish ?)

It certainly was! Top of the morning, my hat!

:laugh:

Edited by HannaBanana (log)

I love this film. I will add clues if no one gets it right away.

Can you guess it from the food-related dialogue?

Man: May I ask you a very personal question?

Woman: Why not.

Man: Would you like another hit of espresso?

[Woman looks confused.]

Man: Would you...

Woman: ...like another hit of espresso, that's the very personal question?

Man: That's as good as it gets.

Woman: Excuse me, may I ask you a very personal question?

Man: Oh sure, by all means.

Woman: Do you really think I am going to sleep with the man I am investigating?

Man: Is that the question?

Woman: Yes that's it.

Man: Now why should I answer your question when you didn't seriously commit to my espresso?

Woman: All right, then I'll seriously commit to your espresso.

edited for punctuation

Hmmm, Pierce Brosnan & Rene Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair?

Chad

Yes! It's from the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair". :wub:

A second clue would have been "Eating lunch in a museum" which is what Pierce's character liked to do.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Restless Natives

You did it, didn't you ? :biggrin: A charming little gem thet got a very belated DVD release in 2005.

Our heroes are deep into their series of audacious motorbike-mounted tourist coach heists. A solitary policeman comes into their joke shop and takes his time browsing over items such as the masks (two of which, clown and wolfman, are just the same as those used in the robberies).

Tension mounts as the two lads look about shiftily, nervously occupying their hands, convinced the game is up. Finally the lawman steps slowly and deliberately up to the counter, eyeballs one of them and asks... "do you have any false tits ?"

It sounds like a delightful movie. Thanks for the last clue.

Now that that one's been solved, I can sleep again. But no, there are more! :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

#6 has finally been solved by I_call_the_duck, putting us all out of our misery (for now :wink: )!!!

A mid-moring recap for those still following along:

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-Chad for solving #57 (the espresso dialogue) that was from the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair"

-Domestic Goddess for correctly guessing that #45 (String cheese. NEW CLUE: Make cheese, not war) was "Mouse Hunt".

-JeanneCake solved #54 (Popcorn, in vast quantities. Cooked in tin foil) as "Real Genius".

-insomniac has solved #36 (36. Meatball sandwiches. "Get me two!

CLUE: "I'm so hungry I can eat the ass end out of a dead rhino. I should have had you get me three of these.") as "Point Break".

-I_call_the_duck has correctly guessed that #6 ("... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

**NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

**NEWER CLUE** A 1980's film.

**NEWEST CLUE** one of the filming locations is a place whose name, in real life, is 'Rest and be Thankful') is "Restless Natives".

We also know:

#49 is not "Lilies of the Field"

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-dsquare has guessed that #60 is "Summer Rental"

New clues have been added to #6 and #20

AS YET UNSOLVED:

20. Melting ice cream.

CLUE: Two kids have to eat the ice cream because the power is out.

CLUE: The power is out on the island.

CLUE: The power is out on their Grandfather's island because of the hurricane that just blew through.

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock"

53. "Turn me over I am done on this side."

55. How current are you in your movies? Movie food = individual chocolate soufflés

59. Virginia Ham

60. Scully's Catches of the Day and a nearly empty tank of lobsters

61. The following items are on the menu in this movie

melon with port, herring, snails ala mode Chablis, hare pate, grilled sardines, filet of sole, fried whiting, skate in brown butter, quenelles of pike, truit au bleu, vol au vent, three cups of tea, two with lemon, one with milk, three coffees, one with cognac, a glass of poisoned milk, three glasses of water, champagne, bread, lettuce, whiskey and soda, foie gras, ham, dry martinis, eggs, cheese, roast chicken, port ,omelet with truffles, guinea hen, soup, leg of lamb with beans, American canned beans, and in conclusion, leftover roast meat and a baguette for a late night snack.

62. a fabulous (imaginary) buffet culminating in a technicolor fooodfight

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

Another (easy) movie: Caviar and baby corn

Tim Oliver

Caviar and baby corn

Big

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

NEW CLUE: One of the stars is nominated for the Best Actor Oscar this year. (But for a different movie.)

This is a wild guess based on the clue. Six Degrees of Separation?

Karen C.