• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

I seem to be determined to undermine this "big screen" topic with small screen triviality, but not sure it merits a second thread and, as I rely on netflix for movies almost exclusively these days, the size of the screen has been rendered largely irrelevant . . .

Custard tarts, sausages and incendiary chili con carne

I know that Lionel Hardcastle in the TV series "As Time Goes By" has a special affinity for custard tarts but I can't place the chili reference.

#40. Yes, ma Petite Chou, you are right. While they definitely take a back seat to the beloved custard tarts, Lionel often fancies the sausages from nearby shop (commenting that they are made in-house) and brags about his "incendiary" chili con carne which proved nearly fatal to Jean the first time he made it for her. I was wishing I had some of it :wub:!

I love British sit-coms. Here's an easy one...Candlelight Suppers.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

The Bucket residence . . . the lady of the house speaking! Keeping Up Appearances. When my S.O. is being a slob I call him Onslow :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

"What do you mean, you don't eat no meat?  That's okay.  I'll make lamb."

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Oh, did I like the food in that movie.

My favorite lines: "Would you like something to eat?" "No, thanks, I'm not hungry." "I'll just fix you something."

How about "Quiche Lorraine, pastries as light as air, picnic of cold chicken"

To Catch A Thief with Cary Grant, if I correctly remember that bit about the quiche as light as air...The view from the dining terrace wasn't so bad either.

The Bucket residence . . . the lady of the house speaking! Keeping Up Appearances. When my S.O. is being a slob I call him Onslow :laugh:

Yes! Our dear Hyacinth *Bouquet.* Such delicious pretension.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

My favorite lines: "Would you like something to eat?" "No, thanks, I'm not hungry." "I'll just fix you something."

I like the scene where they come to the house with a bundt cake and everyone

just stares at it and repeats the word "Boondt" completely mystified at the

very cake in front of them. How about when the kids tease her and say

Mouse-caca for mousakka? Great movie!!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

In honor of today:

A huge pancake

Uncle Buck? It is one of my favorites.

Of course.

Of the times that I have seen this, I never noticed the size ot the griddle that he was cooking it on, only that he was flipping it with a snow shovel.

I wish I had had some pancakes today. I did have a cream cheese paczki though.Boy was it good!!!!

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

a good hamburger with lots of onions, was it in S. Eureka or N. Eureka?

from same movie:

"Here's to Boompah"

and finally same movie

"gum drops, shortcake, sweet stuff jelly roll"

o.k. one more, same movie "Hip! hip!"

hey, oneidaone, the hamburger was from Caddyshack!

******************MORNING UPDATE************************

valid at 1600 GMT

AS YET UNSOLVED:

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings". **NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

**NEWER CLUE** A 1980's film.

20. Melting ice cream.

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

36. Meatball sandwiches. "Get me two!

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

45. String cheese.

48. How about "Quiche Lorraine, pastries as light as air, picnic of cold chicken"

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock,

50. How about "A diablo sandwich and a dr. pepper"

****NEW ADDITIONS****

51. A huge pancake

52. "These are snowflakes. Chives are identical."

53. "What do you mean, you don't eat no meat? That's okay. I'll make lamb."**NOW SOLVED**

54. Crab Napoleon, Caramel eclair "thingies", foie and figs,trance inducing duck ,and peaches on a bed of vanilla cream that ooze white cream and emit smoke when cut open **NOW SOLVED**

***SUPER LATEST SOLVERS***

**this morning** No. 53 was immediately solved by djyee My Big Fat Greek Wedding......you are way too fast!!

51. confirmed by caroled, guessed as Uncle Buck by shellfishfiend

johnnyd confirms 39. guessed as Shaolin Soccer by Human Bean

scottie confirms that No. 34 is Parents guessed by me and annecros

caroled confirms 54. guessed as Simply Irresistible by Chufi

48. confirmed by GordonCooks as To Catch a Thief by insomniac

50. confirmed by GordonCooks as correct Smokey & the Bandit by HannaBanana

No. 40 guessed by petite tete de chou to be As Time Goes By, confirmed by moosnsqrl which I totally missed...oops

No. 41 correctly solved as from French Kiss by Caroled

No. 43 solved by Caroled on a roll as Babette's Feast

No. 44 Tortilla Soup solved by Oneidaone

No 46. From a British sitcom, triple fried egg sandwich with mango chutney and chili sauce. **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** by petite tete de chou as being from Red Dwarf

No 47. Customer #1: "I'll have a decaf coffee."

Customer #2: "I'll have a decaf espresso."

Customer #3: "I'll have a double decaf cappuccino."

Customer #4: "Do you have any decaffeinated ice cream?"

Customer #5: "I'll have a double decaffeinated, half caf, with a twist of lemon."

Customer #4: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

Customer #3: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

Customer #2: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

Customer #1: "I'll have a twist of lemon." **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** once again by ms. tete de chou as being LA Story

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

ps. I apologise in advance for the errors and omissions in this post

Edited by insomniac (log)

I like the scene where they come to the house with a bundt cake and everyone

just stares at it and repeats the word "Boondt" completely mystified at the

very cake in front of them. How about when the kids tease her and say

Mouse-caca for mousakka? Great movie!!

Bingo!

Another line I like from that movie: "Nicko! Don't play with food! When I was your age, I didn't have food!"

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

STILL PENDING CONFIRMATION: Can anyone help on these?

Alex has guessed No. 24 is 'Airplane'

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

It is Airplane, referring to everyone gets food poisoning. I think the answer to this was something like, "I remember. I had lasagna."

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Here's a light little piece of fluff:

Crab Napoleon, Caramel eclair "thingies", foie and figs,trance inducing duck ,and peaches on a bed of vanilla cream that ooze white cream and emit smoke when cut open

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Crab Napoleon, Caramel eclair "thingies", foie and figs,trance inducing duck ,and peaches on a bed of vanilla cream that ooze white cream and emit smoke when cut open

happened to see that on tv here a week ago! Simply Irresistible with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the girl who cooks with magic.

#39 Sweeties sweet buns: Shaolin Soccer

Surprised it wasn't answered sooner.

Correct, Mr. Bean!

Not everyone is hip to Stephen Chow films - I recently came across them and celebrated the Year of the Golden Pig by watching Shaolin Soccer and his earlier effort, The God of Cookery. The Sweetie's scene with Miu creating dough without even touching it is a keeper.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Which still leaves:

"Leftovers....of leftovers!"

Oh wow, there was a movie where Mom was serving leftovers at every meal, but never cooked anything.

Right on the tip of my tongue.

Going to drive me crazy all day -

thanks scottie :rolleyes:

is it creepy Parents where the little boy wonder where all the meat leftovers are coming from and when he asks his dad he says they come from leftovers to be?

Yes! Parents. Randy Quaid's creepiest role ever.

Sorry I took so long to respond, work, you know...

a good hamburger with lots of onions, was it in S. Eureka or N. Eureka?

from same movie:

"Here's to Boompah"

and finally same movie

"gum drops, shortcake, sweet stuff jelly roll"

o.k. one more, same movie "Hip! hip!"

hey, oneidaone, the hamburger was from Caddyshack!

Sorry, no! They're all from the same movie and Caddyshack is not it.

Maybe they stole the line from this rather old movie! Try again! a hui hou :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

happened to see that on tv here a week ago! Simply Irresistible with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the girl who cooks with magic.

It was on here this morning ( around 3 am)

so yes you are correct! :smile: