• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

ding-ding-ding! More winners!

Yes! #29. "Where are my marrons glacés?" and "The star reputedly said, 'I vant to be alone.'"--Camille (1936) with Greta Garbo. At the theatre, the courtesan Camille (Garbo) sends her impecunious young admirer Andre to buy her marrons glaces, so she can take off with an older and wealthier patron. Months later, she meets Andre again and she says, joking, "Where are my marrons glacés?" Marrons glacés are, of course, candied chestnuts. Some critics say this melodramatic movie is a chestnut. :raz:

Congrats, Rachellindsay, for a good shot in the dark! :smile:

Yes! #28. "Kitchen cupboard filled with jars of homemade applesauce" and "Buy one, get 5 free," from Baby Boom with Diane Keaton. I love the scene where J.C. (Keaton) opens her kitchen cupboard to reveal all the baby applesauce she has cooked. This Type A needs something else to do!

Congrats, Chufi! :smile:

I seem to be determined to undermine this "big screen" topic with small screen triviality, but not sure it merits a second thread and, as I rely on netflix for movies almost exclusively these days, the size of the screen has been rendered largely irrelevant . . .

Custard tarts, sausages and incendiary chili con carne

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Here's a new clue for #27, which hasn't moved at all.

OLD CLUES: 27. "One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner," and "A signature yell." NEW CLUE: "In the jungle."

Plus a few more clues to plump up the board. Here's one:

* Overindulging in a cheese platter on the train.*

Another one:

* A liquor bottle replaces Venus.*

Still another:

* Chicken heads and necks, chicken feet, beef shin bones, and a cow's head in a wheelbarrow.*

Finally:

* String cheese.*

Here's a new clue for #27, which hasn't moved at all.

OLD CLUES: 27. "One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner,"  and "A signature yell." NEW CLUE: "In the jungle."

Plus a few more clues to plump up the board. Here's one:

* Overindulging in a cheese platter on the train.*

Another one:

* A liquor bottle replaces Venus.*

Still another:

* Chicken heads and necks, chicken feet, beef shin bones, and a cow's head in a wheelbarrow.*

Finally:

* String cheese.*

this first one sounds like any Tarzan movie from my childhood

cheese platter on a train is "French Kiss"............muucuuuussssssssssssssss!

I don't know the next one and finally

is this from "Babette's Feast" ???

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Ding-ding! A hat trick for caroled! Congrats! :smile:

Yes. 27. "One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner," "A signature yell," and "In the jungle." --from one of the Tarzan movies starring Johnny Weissmuller. Even after a Google search I couldn't pinpoint the movie I was thinking of, but it's probably Tarzan Finds A Son (1939). Ostrich eggs were a sight gag for that series of Tarzan movies.

In the scene I remember, Tarzan and Jane have guests, and Jane decides to cook an omelet for dinner. Then she hauls out one big ol' ostrich egg to make the omelet that will feed everybody. BTW, in my Google search I came across a recipe for Scotch Ostrich Egg, in case you have a spare ostrich egg around. http://www.blogjam.com/2005/05/15/scotch-ostrich-egg

Yes, * Overindulging in a cheese platter on the train* from French Kiss with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. "Lactose intolerance!!!"

And lastly, yes! * Chicken heads and necks, chicken feet, beef shin bones, and a cow's head in a wheelbarrow* from Babette's Feast. There's a brief scene where Babette's boy assistant carts away trimmings for stock.

I seem to be determined to undermine this "big screen" topic with small screen triviality, but not sure it merits a second thread and, as I rely on netflix for movies almost exclusively these days, the size of the screen has been rendered largely irrelevant . . .

I know that Lionel Hardcastle in the TV series "As Time Goes By" has a special affinity for custard tarts but I can't place the chili reference.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

**************MORNING UPDATE*********************

STILL PENDING CONFIRMATION: Can anyone help on these?

Waterdogs has guessed the Santa Clause for No. 21

Alex has guessed No. 24 is 'Airplane'

I’ve made a stab at No. 34. Is it Parents?

Since there have been some small screen references, this isn't Malcolm in the Middle is it? has been guessed as the answer to No. 34 by Simon_S

No. 37 guessed by me as The Shawshank Redemption

No. 40 guessed by petite tete de chou to be As Time Goes By

***FINALLYCONFIRMED***Well done!!!

Varmint has guessed No. 18 is Caddyshack

AS YET UNSOLVED:

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings". **NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

18. "I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake..."

20. Melting ice cream.

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

34. Leftovers....of leftovers

36. Meatball sandwiches. "Get me two!"

37. "...sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning drinking icy cold, Bohemia-style beer"

39. The best sweet buns in the world are made by the lead actor's love-interest at "Sweetie's Sweet Buns" in what movie?

**NEW CLUE**

This actress uses unusual levels of Tai Chi skill to make the sweet bun dough. Through special effect wizardry, the dough begins to spin itself...

40. Custard tarts, sausages and incendiary chili con carne CLUE: from the small screen!

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

45. String cheese.

48. How about "Quiche Lorraine, pastries as light as air, picnic of cold chicken"

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock,

50. How about "A diablo sandwich and a dr. pepper"

***SUPER LATEST SOLVERS***

No 46. From a British sitcom, triple fried egg sandwich with mango chutney and chili sauce. **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** by petite tete de choux as being from Red Dwarf

No. 27 Tarzan finds a Son, guessed as a Tarzan movie by Caroled

No. 28 Baby Boom confirmed by djyee100

No. 29 confirmed to be Camille, solved by Rachellindsay

No. 35 is Big Night (which I had a good guess at)

No. 41 correctly solved as from French Kiss by Caroled

No. 43 solved by Caroled on a roll as Babette's Feast

No. 44 Tortilla Soup solved by Oneidaone

No 46. From a British sitcom, triple fried egg sandwich with mango chutney and chili sauce. **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** by petite tete de choux as being from Red Dwarf

No 47. Customer #1: "I'll have a decaf coffee."

Customer #2: "I'll have a decaf espresso."

Customer #3: "I'll have a double decaf cappuccino."

Customer #4: "Do you have any decaffeinated ice cream?"

Customer #5: "I'll have a double decaffeinated, half caf, with a twist of lemon."

Customer #4: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

Customer #3: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

Customer #2: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

Customer #1: "I'll have a twist of lemon." **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** once again by ms. tete de choux as being LA Story

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

ps. I apologise in advance for the errors and omissions in this post

Edited by insomniac (log)

A very easy one:

Customer #1: "I'll have a decaf coffee."

Customer #5: "I'll have a double decaffeinated, half caf, with a twist of lemon."

Customer #1: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

A very easy one:

Customer #1: "I'll have a decaf coffee."

Customer #1: "I'll have a twist of lemon."

L.A. Story. I do best with the easy ones. :rolleyes:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I know that Lionel Hardcastle in the TV series "As Time Goes By" has a special affinity for custard tarts but I can't place the chili reference.

#40. Yes, ma Petite Chou, you are right. While they definitely take a back seat to the beloved custard tarts, Lionel often fancies the sausages from nearby shop (commenting that they are made in-house) and brags about his "incendiary" chili con carne which proved nearly fatal to Jean the first time he made it for her. I was wishing I had some of it :wub:!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm with Varmint on #18 - the scene where Ted Knights grandson is at the golf course snack bar.

How about "Quiche Lorraine, pastries as light as air, picnic of cold chicken"

How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock,

How about "A diablo sandwich and a dr. pepper"

39. The best sweet buns in the world are made by the lead actor's love-interest at "Sweetie's Sweet Buns" in what movie?

This actress uses unusual levels of Tai Chi skill to make the sweet bun dough. Through special effect wizardry, the dough begins to spin itself...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

**************EVENING UPDATE*********************

STILL PENDING CONFIRMATION: Can anyone help on these?

Alex has guessed No. 24 is 'Airplane'

I’ve made a stab at No. 34. Is it Parents?

Since there have been some small screen references, this isn't Malcolm in the Middle is it? has been guessed as the answer to No. 34 by Simon_S

No. 37 guessed by me as The Shawshank Redemption

***FINALLYCONFIRMED***Well done!!!

Varmint has guessed No. 18 is Caddyshack

Waterdogs guessed the Santa Clause for No 21

AS YET UNSOLVED:

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings". **NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

20. Melting ice cream.

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

34. Leftovers....of leftovers

36. Meatball sandwiches. "Get me two!"

37. "...sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning drinking icy cold, Bohemia-style beer"

**NEW CLUE**

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

45. String cheese.

48. How about "Quiche Lorraine, pastries as light as air, picnic of cold chicken"

49. How about "A solitary fried egg, soup with a ham hock,

50. How about "A diablo sandwich and a dr. pepper"

***SUPER LATEST SOLVERS***

No. 27 Tarzan finds a Son, guessed as a Tarzan movie by Caroled

No. 28 Baby Boom confirmed by djyee100

No. 29 confirmed to be Camille, solved by Rachellindsay

No. 35 is Big Night (which I had a good guess at)

No. 40 guessed by petite tete de chou to be As Time Goes By, confirmed by moosnsqrl which I totally missed...oops

No. 41 correctly solved as from French Kiss by Caroled

No. 43 solved by Caroled on a roll as Babette's Feast

No. 44 Tortilla Soup solved by Oneidaone

No 46. From a British sitcom, triple fried egg sandwich with mango chutney and chili sauce. **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** by petite tete de chou as being from Red Dwarf

No 47. Customer #1: "I'll have a decaf coffee."

Customer #1: "I'll have a twist of lemon." **IMMEDIATELY SOLVED** once again by ms. tete de chou as being LA Story

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

ps. I apologise in advance for the errors and omissions in this post

Edited by insomniac (log)

**************EVENING UPDATE*********************

No. 40 guessed by petite tete de chou to be As Time Goes By

Yes, sorry, I confirmed it in a rely to petite chou above. Those are indeed some of Second Leftenant Hardcastle's favorites.

M.F.K. Fisher

a good hamburger with lots of onions, was it in S. Eureka or N. Eureka?

from same movie:

"Here's to Boompah"

and finally same movie

"gum drops, shortcake, sweet stuff jelly roll"

o.k. one more, same movie "Hip! hip!"

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004