• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

Clue for 23: This is a sequel, and the pickle is inserted into a lower body orifice of certain members of the senior class. 

OK, this is an adult crowd, right?  The movie came out in the last year.

ha Varmint, are you referring to the MadDucketts multi millionaire Lance Dowds??

Clerks 2?? Jonathan Ross, who hosts a TV review programme here didn't like it much and I have to agree (only saw bits of it as kids were watching a pirated copy from China)... they enjoyed it more than i did (I could hear the laughter from upstairs)

I don't remember the line, but I'll take a stab in the dark and say "Grand Hotel".

Nope, sorry, Blether. Good try.

*OLD CLUE: 29. "Where are my marrons glacés?" NEW CLUE: The star reputedly said, "I vant to be alone."* is still in play.

Clue for 23: This is a sequel, and the pickle is inserted into a lower body orifice of certain members of the senior class. 

ha Varmint, are you referring to the MadDucketts multi millionaire Lance Dowds??

Clerks 2?? Jonathan Ross, who hosts a TV review programme here didn't like it much and I have to agree (only saw bits of it as kids were watching a pirated copy from China)... they enjoyed it more than i did (I could hear the laughter from upstairs)

Yes, it is Clerks 2! I think I've shared enough information already on this particular food-related matter. Eek!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yes, it is Clerks 2! I think I've shared enough information already on this particular food-related matter. Eek!

I was just on the phone to my daughter and she said they were mainly laughing at the Chinese subtitle translations of the English dialogue......apparently there was quite a lot of misunderstanding involved :laugh:

I don't remember the line, but I'll take a stab in the dark and say "Grand Hotel".

Nope, sorry, Blether. Good try.

*OLD CLUE: 29. "Where are my marrons glacés?" NEW CLUE: The star reputedly said, "I vant to be alone."* is still in play.

Greta Garbo. Was the marrons glacés line in 'Camille'? I read the book a long time ago but haven't ever seen the film so 'Camille' is a bit of a shot in the dark.

OLD CLUE: 28. Kitchen cupboard filled with jars of homemade applesauce. NEW CLUE: "Buy one, get 5 free."

aha. That has to be Baby Boom! I have a personal weakness for Diane Keaton. Love every movie she's in... even this one :biggrin:

Which still leaves:

"Leftovers....of leftovers!"

Oh wow, there was a movie where Mom was serving leftovers at every meal, but never cooked anything.

Right on the tip of my tongue.

Going to drive me crazy all day -

thanks scottie :rolleyes:

Which still leaves:

Oh wow, there was a movie where Mom was serving leftovers at every meal, but never cooked anything.

is it creepy Parents where the little boy wonder where all the meat leftovers are coming from and when he asks his dad he says they come from leftovers to be?

Which still leaves:

is it creepy Parents where the little boy wonder where all the meat leftovers are coming from and when he asks his dad he says they come from leftovers to be?

Yes! That's the one. Let's see if that was what scottie had in mind!

***GOOD EVENING FROM ACROSS THE POND***

****NEWLY SOLVED****Well Done All*******

No. 23 if from Clerks 2 (which I guessed at)

No. 28 was correctly solved by Chufi who knew the applesauce belonged in Babyboom

No. 35 the Seven Year Itch has been correctly solved by GordonCooks

No 25 Waterdogs guessing Young Frankenstein has been confirmed by GordonCooks

STILL PENDING CONFIRMATION: Can anyone help on these?

Varmint has guessed No. 18 is Caddyshack

Waterdogs has guessed the Santa Clause for No. 21

Alex has guessed No. 24 is 'Airplane'

I’ve made a stab at No. 34. Is it Parents?

Re No. 24 I’m sure I read a guess of Airplane…. Is this correct?? (sorry guesser, I can’t find you)

AS YET UNSOLVED:

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings". **NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

18. "I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake..."

20. Melting ice cream.

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish."

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

27. One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner ***NEW CLUE*** A signature yell **NEWLY SOLVED**

29. "Where are my marrons glacés?" *** NEW CLUE*** I vant to be alone **NEWLY SOLVED**

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

34. Leftovers....of leftovers

***NEW ADDITIONS***

35. One omelet, one unbroken shot, no dialogue. **NEWLY SOLVED** see below!

36. Meatball sandwiches. "Get me two!"

37. "...sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning drinking icy cold, Bohemia-style beer"

38. An explanation of why we clink glasses before drinking.**NEWLY SOLVED**

39. The best sweet buns in the world are made by the lead actor's love-interest at "Sweetie's Sweet Buns" in what movie?

40. Custard tarts, sausages and incendiary chili con carne CLUE: from the small screen!

41. Overindulging in a cheese platter on the train.**NEWLY SOLVED**

42. A liquor bottle replaces Venus.

43. Chicken heads and necks, chicken feet, beef shin bones, and a cow's head in a wheelbarrow.**NEWLY SOLVED**

44. String cheese.

***SUPER LATEST SOLVERS***

No. 35 is Big Night (which I had a good guess at)

No. 27 Tarzan finds a Son, guessed as a Tarzan movie by Caroled

No. 28 Baby Boom confirmed by djyee100

No. 29 confirmed to be Camille, solved by Rachellindsay

No. 41 correctly solved as from French Kiss by Caroled

No. 43 solved by Caroled on a roll as Babette's Feast

No. 44 Tortilla Soup solved by Oneidaone

***NEW ANSWERS TO BE CONFIRMED***

No. 37 guessed by me as The Shawshank Redemption

No. 40 guessed by petite tete de chou to be As Time Goes By

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

ps. I apologise in advance for the errors and omissions in this post

Edited by insomniac (log)

***GOOD EVENING FROM ACROSS THE POND***

****NEWLY SOLVED****

No. 23 if from Clerks 2 (which I guessed at)

No. 28 was correctly solved by Chufi who knew the applesauce belonged in Babyboom

STILL PENDING CONFIRMATION: Can anyone help on these?

Varmint has guessed No. 18 is Caddyshack

Waterdogs has guessed the Santa Clause for No. 21

Alex has guessed No. 24 is 'Airplane'

Waterdogs has guessed No. 25 is'Young Frankenstein'

I’ve made a stab at No. 34. Is it Parents?

Re No. 24 I’m sure I read a guess of Airplane…. Is this correct?? (sorry guesser, I can’t find you)

AS YET UNSOLVED:

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings". **NEW CLUE** the dialogue not spoken in an American accent

18. "I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake..."

20. Melting ice cream.

24. "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish." 

Order the fish and you'll be sorry.

25. Hot soup, yummy dessert and "I was gonna make espresso".

27. One ostrich egg to feed a crowd for dinner  ***NEW CLUE*** A signature yell

29. "Where are my marrons glacés?"  *** NEW CLUE*** I vant to be alone

33. Undercooked foie gras, lobster in a tank, pasta

34. Leftovers....of leftovers

35. Potoato chips dipped in champagne 'It's real crazy' (Sorry Oneidaone, at first I thought you were telling us what you had just eaten/drunk)

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

ps. I apologise in advance for the errors and omissions in this post

I'm seconding WaterDogs on Young Frankenstein

:biggrin: Aloha no! This is like the most fun thread ever - for me anyway! You

all are such great players! I just got back from a meal that hit notches unknown

at Roy's in Hawaii Kai, the "flagship" of the empire. I am overfed, overwatered

and thinking.....

"....have you ever tried it - it's real crazy!" Potato chips dipped in champagne (sp!)"

it's late for you all, 'early' for us HST after a 3 1/2 hour meal see you all

in the AM - a hui hou :wink:

sorry I missed the clue.....I thought at first you were describing a late night personal experience :biggrin:

Yes, looking back at that post I did it would appear that could be the case!

It wasn't that wild of a night for me!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

potatoe chips dipped in champagne "it's real crazy"

who said this in a truly great movie!

The Seven Year Itch!

YES! Congratulations Gordoncooks! Marilyn and Tom at some of their

finest! :smile: a hui :biggrin: hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Forgive me if this has been done:

The best sweet buns in the world are made by the lead actor's love-interest at "Sweetie's Sweet Buns" in what movie?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com