• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

crabsticks (blech) feature in an English production titled Catterick starring a comic(?) called Vic Reeves. He plays D.I. Fowler of the NYPD (North Yorkshire Police Dept. geddit?). Part of the action is set in a pub (the Siberian Khatru) where one of the regulars, Glen, has a definite thing about crabsticks. Both crabsticks and the show are an acquired taste............

UK viewers only, I would guess.

Thought it would be someone this side of the pond to get this one first...I am unfortunately familiar with the drinking game :wacko:

Handmade Films, where would we be without them?? :smile:

hey Simon at first I thought you were signing off all your posts in Spanish :smile:  :smile:

I'm also familiar with the drinking game, or at least the concept. I've never had the onions to actually go for it. Still, I love the quote, and it regularly pops into my mind when ordering wine at a fancy restaurant.

So many people call me Si that I nearly always use that as a sign-off. However, "si" and "cerveza" may be the only two Spanish words that I know...

Si(mon)

Thought it would be someone this side of the pond to get this one first...I am unfortunately familiar with the drinking game :wacko:

hey Simon at first I thought you were signing off all your posts in Spanish :smile:  :smile:

I'm also familiar with the drinking game, or at least the concept. I've never had the onions to actually go for it.

Si(mon)

Wow - insomniac & Simon, you made me curious about this drinking game, so I looked online and found out what it's about (just to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything!) That's alota drinkin! :wacko:

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I'm also familiar with the drinking game, or at least the concept. I've never had the onions to actually go for it.

Si(mon)

Wow - insomniac & Simon, you made me curious about this drinking game, so I looked online and found out what it's about (just to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything!) That's alota drinkin! :wacko:

I never ever reached the red wine stage and it now seems highly unlikely that I ever will :rolleyes:

#11. Sabrina - Audrey Hepburn. "Too high, too low, an exaggeration, much too

low, ahhh, Baron perfection, MUCH TOO LOW" the Baron explains that

a woman happy in love she burns the souffle a woman unhappy in love

forgets to turn on the oven.

Another favorite is the olives scenes as they go on in the movie as the

father drinks his ever present martini.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Well, I won't wait anymore.  Ketchup on the sweet side is Meet Me in St. Louis.

You are correct, sir!

I thought about adding the rest of the food from the movies in case no one got it:

-A rushed corned beef dinner (waiting for the long distance phone call from New York City).

-Homemade ice cream.

-Hickory Nut Cake "as only Katie can make it."

-"Stop eating that spun sugar, you'll spoil your dinner."

-"Where is the French restaurant?...It's across from Machinery Hall."

The last clue would have certainly sealed the deal to anyone who's seen the movie as it's a reference to the St. Louis World's Fair.

Well done, Dean!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A new day, a new recap:

Congratulations to -

JeanneCake for solving #8 (To someone eating M&M's: "Don't eat the red ones."), "Peggy Sue Got Married"

Varmint for solving #7 "Meet Me in S. Louis" given nothing but a flimsy clue - Homemade ketchup that may be too sweet ("All men like it on the sweet side")

Simon_S for solving a movie that didn't even get put into the recap "a new quote from a British film from the late 1980s: "We want the finest wines available to humanity......we want them here, and we want them now!" which was "Withnail and I".

And to Insomniac solving #14 (a very surreal dinner scene where a cooked chicken starts moving around when it's time to carve it) which was "Eraserhead".

A. UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY UNSOLVED

2. a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

CLUE: If it helps any, it was written by a Southern writer

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

6. "... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

9. A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.

10. "I love it when it's hamburger day."

11. A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven.

12. A popsicle made of ketchup.

15. Stew, no ketchup.

B. AWAITING CONFIRMATION ON SOLUTIONS:

- caroled has guessed #9 sounds like "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane"

- Insomniac has guessed #9 to be "Cinderella".

- oneidaone has guessed that #11 is Audrey Hepburn's "Sabrina".

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

Tim Oliver

OK, I cheated on this one--it's been driving me bonkers, so I did some googling.

#2 - a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

Saturday Night Fever

And I'm going to guess #9 - A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.

Stuart Little?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

OK, I cheated on this one--it's been driving me bonkers, so I did some googling.

#2 - a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........

Saturday Night Fever

And I'm going to guess #9 - A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.

Stuart Little?

yeees ICTD (I love your name) it is Saturday Night Fever but I have a bet with my daughter that the mouse is from Cinderella (anyway, it must be a kiddie movie?? :smile: )

Saturday Night Fever

Stuart Little?

yeees ICTD (I love your name) it is Saturday Night Fever

Here I thought it had to be a British film from the clue...turns out the description of the film was British. :wink::laugh:

Tim Oliver

No. 11.....it was Audrey Hepburn who forgot to turn on the oven. The film was 'Sabrina'.

edited: I just noticed that someone answered this one ahead of me.....I thought it was still in play....sorry.

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

Saturday Night Fever

Stuart Little?

yeees ICTD (I love your name) it is Saturday Night Fever

Here I thought it had to be a British film from the clue...turns out the description of the film was British. :wink::laugh:

well, almost,........... I would call the description Ozpommian :smile::smile:

A recap for the early afternnon-

Hats off and congratulations to:

-I_call_the_duck for finally solving #2 (a spaghetti-proof bib, two pork chops and a few slaps round the chops........CLUE: the guy aspires to win a girl above his station in life. The movie could be called sexist and vulgar, but has become a bit of a cult classic for the male star) as "Saturday Night Fever".

-Insomniac for solving #12 (A popsicle made of ketchup) as "Tommy Boy".

A. UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY UNSOLVED

5. Tuna noodle casserole for Sunday dinner, and hot chocolate and lemon drops before bed. Movie also contains catfish and popcorn.

Another CLUE: This author also wrote another script/movie mentioned near the begining of the thread

CLUE: the meal being envisioned is the fantasy reward of a planned (rather whimsical) life of crime. The full quote (it came back to me !) is:

"Steaks THAT THICK... and mashed potatoes. Naw, CREAMED potatoes. An' peas an' onion rings".

9. A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse.

11. A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven.

15. Stew, no ketchup.

16. Extremely easy: A stolen loaf of bread.

B. AWAITING CONFIRMATION ON SOLUTIONS:

- caroled has guessed #9 sounds like "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane"

- Insomniac has guessed #9 to be "Cinderella".

- oneidaone has guessed that #11 is Audrey Hepburn's "Sabrina", followed by the same guess by Rachellindsay.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Tim Oliver

16. Extremely easy: A stolen loaf of bread.

I'm going for the easy ones again...although I'm torn between les Misérables and Oliver. I have to admit, i haven't seen either of those movies (I'm not even sure if les Mis was made into one) but I think there's a little bread stealing going on in both of them!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Ding-ding-ding! We have some winners!

Yes! "9. A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse." --from Disney's Cinderella (1950). Remember the shell game with teacups the mouse plays with the evil cat Lucifer? I recently saw this movie again, and I was struck by its charm and imagination. It was one of my favs when I was a kid. I wore a Cinderella watch then, too.

Congrats, insomniac. :smile: What did you win from your daughter? BTW, that lobster reference to your last clue rang a bell, I can see the scene in my head, but the title of the movie just isn't coming.

Duck, I can't confirm your guess about Stuart Little for #9, since I've never seen that movie. Can anybody else confirm this guess?

Yes! "11. A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven." --from Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn. Yes, oneidaone, I remember so many funny scenes from this movie. I love the gag about sitting on wineglasses. Ouch!

Congrats to oneidaone, and Rachellindsay, too. :smile:

Thank you I was bewildered, bewildering you as well(can I say that?) I was searching the huge collection of crabstick movies and stage plays, yet to be found. Sorry. And thank you for enlightening me. I'll come back with a row of food/movie questions based on Norwegian movies in the 1970-ies and sweet goat cheese.

Is this the thread to ask if there is a movie scene mentioning or showing crabsticks?

I'm kind of curious about these crabsticks that got left behind there.

Do you know a movie in which crabsticks are featured prominently enough that we could guess the movie based just on that clue? (in which case, right thread!)

OR

Are you just wondering if there are any movies out there that have crabsticks in them, but don't know what they would be? (in which case, probably not the right thread.)

I hope it's the first because I'm at a deadend with all the others and need something else to guess at!

:smile:

A nightcap recap of what is currently in play -

Hats off and congratulations to:

-Forest for correctly solving #16 (A stolen loaf of bread) which was "Les Miserables".

-insomniac for solving #9 (A breakfast tray with a bowl of hot cereal, a teapot, a teacup and saucer, and a mouse) as "Cinderella".

-oneidaone, who was first to guess that #11 (A flopped souffle because she doesn't turn on the oven) was Audrey Hepburn's "Sabrina". And congratulations to Rachellindsay, as well, for guessing the same after oneidaone.

A. CONTINUING TO TAUNT US WITH THEIR UNSOLVABILITY:

15. Stew, no ketchup.

17. Another easy one: People.

Tim Oliver

17. Another easy one: People.

"Soylent Green is people!"

I think delicatessan is also people.

ETA: I just want to add (although I think it's been said before) Toliver & Pontormo - you're doing a great job with this thread! And, I'm not just saying that because I'm in a good mood after getting one right! :wink:

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis